Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Experimental Cam for 2.0 w/ variable timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
In a prior post I mentioned that I was going to pull the drive train to check out the p/o's alledged rebuild. They said that they couldn't get it to idle. I found alot of blue silicone from the rebuild. Not good. Coupled with the fact that they had installed a hodge podge of FI components I decided to check out this ol' boys work. P&C's looked pretty new (I'll let the machine shop decide that) so I was hoping that everything else was too.

I almost stromberg.gif in my shoes when I pulled the oil pump.

Click to view attachment

This bolt is not only bent but had backed out 3 threads. The one below it was hand tight.

Click to view attachment

looking at the back side you can see the difference in bolt lengths

Click to view attachment

They had to have heard this.

Click to view attachment

SLITS
It is hard to tell if they purposely made the cam timing adjustable by enlongating the mounting holes of if that occured due to the fastner head hitting the oil pump.

On the stand, you should have not been able to turn it by hand.

Nice job!
Jake Raby
This was common around Y2K.. A whole batch of cam gears ending up being soft and they'd not hold torque.. It happened to me on one occasion.

Also, the oil pump drive tang is protruding too deep into the drive slot of the cam.. See those two shiny spots where the corners of the oil pump drive have been hitting deep inside the drive slot??

I bet the cam thrust bearings are trashed and the cam is walking fore and aft in the case, that could be why the bolts contacted the oil pump as well.

Start taking it apart.
McMark
agree.gif
Yup, nothing good there. Take it apart and build something new. Those are some nasty pics.
silver74insocal
what a great excuse to build a new engine! smilie_pokal.gif maybe a conversion idea.gif we need a subie around here...you go first?
sean_v8_914
Custom with a C = good
Kustom with a K = that might kinda work
Qustom with a Q = questionable
Zustom with a Z =because it makes no sense at all
76-914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 13 2011, 07:54 PM) *

This was common around Y2K.. A whole batch of cam gears ending up being soft and they'd not hold torque.. It happened to me on one occasion.

Also, the oil pump drive tang is protruding too deep into the drive slot of the cam.. See those two shiny spots where the corners of the oil pump drive have been hitting deep inside the drive slot??

I bet the cam thrust bearings are trashed and the cam is walking fore and aft in the case, that could be why the bolts contacted the oil pump as well.

Start taking it apart.

I see it now that you point it out. I wouldn't have known if you hadn't said, thx. Todd at RIMCO mentioned that the oil pump wasn't original and it need to be brazed on the other side of the scarring.(yep, stripped it and dropped it off to them today) That time frame for the bad timing gears is exactly spot on with what the p/o had said. It's getting a Raby 9550 kit w/8300 gear, as soon as they call back to say the case is good.

QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Feb 13 2011, 09:59 PM) *

what a great excuse to build a new engine! smilie_pokal.gif maybe a conversion idea.gif we need a subie around here...you go first?

If I somehow ended up with a nice Boxter needing an engine, I would do it but not on my 914.
'73-914kid
Dont forget Yustom with a Y Sean, for Why the hell would you you ever do something like that!?

That looks horrendous Kent... Looks like it was run a long time like that. Lok forward to seeing everything back together, and the black car on the road!

-Ethan
Woody
Can't believe that thing would idle at all.
HarveyH
Happened to me too. PO had the engine rebuilt and modded (2056 cam & Webers) and about 5 years after I bought it a tick developed. Apparently the PO's builder didn't peen or locktite the cam gear bolts and three of them started walking out and eating the oil pump. My mechanic (since retired hissyfit.gif ) was an old-school guy who had been doing street and race Porsches since the late 60's. We decided he would do a long term rebuild project and use the engine to teach his son how to do Type IV's so it was measured, assembled, measured, taken back apart, and so on several times before it was buttoned up the final time. Took 6 - 8 months, but the results were worth it.... Unfortunatly, I have to find a new mechanic now.....
silver74insocal
popcorn[1].gif any word?
76-914
Not yet. I'm calling them tomorrow = urgency = that's gonna cost me. blink.gif
rick 918-S
Does anyone else see what looks like a crack in the cam flange starting at the short bolt on the left?

76-914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 24 2011, 10:01 PM) *

Does anyone else see what looks like a crack in the cam flange starting at the short bolt on the left?

Good eye, Rick. When looking at from a side view. the material actually raises a bit where the 2 cracks are. But I really wasn't going to re-use it, honestly. happy11.gif
stugray
I hate to say it, but if you had been in CO, I might say that was my old engine from college ~20 years ago.

Back then I bought the High Output pump from AA, and they never mentioned that I would have a clearance issue, so I put it together just like stock.

Never heard any ticking clicking or banging.

So the person I sold it to probably had issues later.

Oh well.... live & learn.

Stu
76-914
QUOTE(stugray @ Feb 25 2011, 07:58 AM) *

I hate to say it, but if you had been in CO, I might say that was my old engine from college ~20 years ago.

Back then I bought the High Output pump from AA, and they never mentioned that I would have a clearance issue, so I put it together just like stock.

Never heard any ticking clicking or banging.

So the person I sold it to probably had issues later.

Oh well.... live & learn.

Stu

If I don't hear any "ticking clicking or banging" it ran out of gas. lol-2.gif av-943.gif laugh.gif
majkos
Is that the same motor you drove to Moab and back!?
amazing unsure.gif
Click to view attachment
76-914
No. Different one. I FU'd again. I got another one. A black 73. Hope your move goes well and that Henna adjusts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.