Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 oil tank question - too many orifices?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
For the longest time I was having difficulty trying to picture where the oil lines go to and from on a 914-6 conversion - but I think I have most of the issues figured out.

A lot of the problem has to do with the tank I bought. It has 'extra' holes and fittings that most other tanks I have seen did not have.

Here is a pic:

IPB Image

I finally figured out that fitting 'C' is the AN -12 return line which is usually a hard pipe from the engine which attaches to a flex line to this port.

Similarly, I figured that fitting 'D' is the supply line that goes to the oil cooler, which in my case is AN -16 on both ends.

The confusion arises out of fittings 'A' and 'B'. Most tanks I see do not have these fittings. Also, my car was only pre-drilled (by the PO) for fittings C,D, the filler, the vent and the filter only. I don't have extra holes for these fittings.

So, do I need these fittings A and B? What do they do?

If I don't need them, how do I get rid of them? Do I have to braze the holes shut? Or is it easier to just drill the two requisite holes in the engine compartment and use plugs on those fittings?

Last question, does anyone know the size and thread of those fittings?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob
SLITS
I can't remember if those are for an automatic transmission (some tanks had extra fittings) or some type of PO installed item.

Based on the "B" position, that would be supply and the "A" the return.

You only need "C" & "D"

Anyway, the experts will chime in in a moment.

Oh, I would say 3/8" pipe fittings.
mepstein
A lot more fittings than my OEM tank. I know there was a different version for the Sportomatic but I've never seen one in person. Maybe look at PET?
sixerdon
That is a sporto tank. Back in the 70's, I bought one to replace a leaking one in my /6 at the time. Stock tanks were already hard to find, but sporto's were available. What I did is take a copper penny (1981 or earlier) and brazed it over the openings. Never had a problem with leaks for the remaining time that I owned it.
Don
Cap'n Krusty
I can pretty much guarantee they're not 3/8ths pipe. Might want to check in the metric section of any good hardware supplier ........................

The Cap'n
moparrob
I wonder if they are pipe thread (taper) so that I could use a plug? Otherwise, if it is a straight thread I guess it would seal on the top surface with an aluminum washer?

Or perhaps I could unscrew those fittings and find threaded caps?
Eric_Shea
Sporto. I'd take it down, have it properly welded, re-copper plated and re-painted.
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Feb 16 2011, 08:13 PM) *
That is a sporto tank.

agree.gif
scotty b
MMMmmmmm AAHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh toasty radiant heat rolleyes.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(moparrob @ Feb 16 2011, 08:30 PM) *

I wonder if they are pipe thread (taper) so that I could use a plug? Otherwise, if it is a straight thread I guess it would seal on the top surface with an aluminum washer?

Or perhaps I could unscrew those fittings and find threaded caps?

I repeat. They're metric fittings, NOT pipe thread. Just get a couple of plugs, a couple of copper gaskets, and be done with it.

The Cap'n
laflaur
Hey are those pipe thread fittings?
moparrob
stirthepot.gif

Cap'n, I was trying to avoid cutting two additional holes for those fittings to stick out of, but your advice is well taken. That may be the easier course of action.

Now if I could only figure out where the heck to layout the holes before I start drilling ... confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(moparrob @ Feb 17 2011, 12:18 PM) *
Now if I could only figure out where the heck to layout the holes before I start drilling ... confused24.gif

I would think that a stock 914-6 sport-o-matic oil tank would be worth more to the right buyer than a standard tank ...

Why not sell it and buy a correct one and pocket some money in the process??? confused24.gif

They made only what, 25 914-6 sportos? idea.gif
moparrob
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 17 2011, 01:02 PM) *

I would think that a stock 914-6 sport-o-matic oil tank would be worth more to the right buyer than a standard tank ...

Why not sell it and buy a correct one and pocket some money in the process??? confused24.gif

They made only what, 25 914-6 sportos? idea.gif

Hmmm, not a bad idea.

Think I'll give it a try....
moparrob
QUOTE(jeff @ Feb 17 2011, 02:13 PM) *

Except those are tapered threads and per prior posting the threads are not tapered...
SLITS

stirthepot.gif

Cap'n, I was trying to avoid cutting two additional holes for those fittings to stick out of, but your advice is well taken. That may be the easier course of action.

You can make a cardboard template and register off the other holes to know where to drill if it comes to that.
Eric_Shea
You can make a cardboard template and register off the other holes to know where to drill if it comes to that.

This is painful to watch... sad.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 17 2011, 04:42 PM) *

Close your eyes and the pain will go away! slap.gif
hwgunner
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 17 2011, 04:50 PM) *

Close your eyes and the pain will go away! slap.gif

Well said! sheeplove.gif
laflaur
If you close your eyes you can still feel it........
moparrob

Eric,

I'm not sure what you are referring to.

If you are referring to my lack of knowledge, and the efforts I am going through to try to get it right, then perhaps you should avoid the thread. I hope that is not the issue.

Not everyone is as talented as you and personally, I sit behind a desk all day and rely on the kindness of strangers to help me get up to speed while bringing my dream car back to life after having sat for 13 years. I'm an old Mopar guy that is trying to figure this stuff out on my own, and obviously, it shows.

Anyway, I do want to thank everyone who has contributed, as usual, as the information certainly helps me in deciding which route to take. pray.gif

Thanks again guys.

Eric_Shea
No, no, no... it's not that. Trust me, in not that talented when it come to these things either. I weld like a 3 year-old on acid. And... I have the patience of a gnat (I think I spelled it right that time). With my car I'm kinda forced to take my time because I'm constantly working on everyone elses project (one brake caliper at a time) smile.gif

It's just that you're either cutting holes in your car that don't need to be there or hacking up a rare Sporto tank... or... Awe hell, I don't know Rob... sad.gif

I think Andy nailed it. His idea is much better than mine. That's a rare tank. See if you can find someone to trade with you or, if it's a conversion car, get an aftermarket tank and sell that rare one to the right guy. Overall it looks to be in great shape. There's some paint flaking of but, a proper surface prep and a sale to the right guy and you might have $800-1,000.00 in your pocket to buy a differnt tank with (and a few extra goodies). What was Jonathan selling tanks for recently??

Are you in a big hurry to get it in and done? Look around. Do some horse trade'n. It really can be one of the last things you install as you plumb the engine. confused24.gif

I guess my stomach gets a little weak when I see everything from plumbing fittings to cardboard templates so you can cut holes in your car that don't need to be there...

I'll shut up now as I've probably said too much. I hope you don't read this wrong. Just garage banter. Carry on.

wink.gif
moparrob
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 17 2011, 08:41 PM) *

It's just that you're either cutting holes in your car that don't need to be there or hacking up a rare Sporto tank... or... Awe hell, I don't know Rob... sad.gif

wink.gif

EXACTLY! That was what I was stressing about. Neither one seemed to be a good solution, so I agree with the idea of selling (or trading) the tank to someone who needs it. I'll probably have it hot tanked to remove the paint, then paint or powdercoat it before I sell it. I'm sure someone will appreciate it. I have no problem using an aftermarket tank - hell, most of my car will be aftermarket when I get through with it.

No offense taken, I'm just a bit frustrated by my lack of knowledge and I think having my car up on jack stands for 8 months is starting to get to me.

IPB Image
bigkensteele

No, no, no... it's not that. Trust me, in not that talented when it come to these things either. I weld like a 3 year-old on acid. And... I have the patience of a gnat (I think I spelled it right that time). With my car I'm kinda forced to take my time because I'm constantly working on everyone elses project (one brake caliper at a time) smile.gif

I think Andy nailed it. His idea is much better than mine. That's a rare tank. See if you can find someone to trade with you or, if it's a conversion car, get an aftermarket tank and sell that rare one to the right guy. Overall it looks to be in great shape. There's some paint flaking of but, a proper surface prep and a sale to the right guy and you might have $800-1,000.00 in your pocket to buy a differnt tank with (and a few extra goodies). What was Jonathan selling tanks for recently??

Are you in a big hurry to get it in and done? Look around. Do some horse trade'n. It really can be one of the last things you install as you plumb the engine. confused24.gif

I guess my stomach gets a little weak when I see everything from plumbing fittings to cardboard templates so you can cut holes in your car that don't need to be there...

I'll shut up now as I've probably said too much. I hope you don't read this wrong. Just garage banter. Carry on.

wink.gif

agree.gif
No question. Eric was not trying to diss you at all. You might be sitting on a tank that is worth some coin to somebody else, but is causing you nothing but pain. I just bought a brand new tank from GPR in the group buy that will work perfectly for you, and it was much cheaper than what you could get for the one you have on ebay. Plus, you won't have to hack holes in your car that serve no purpose.

Not sure if the group buy is still open, but here is the thread...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...1&hl=velios
markb
QUOTE(moparrob @ Feb 17 2011, 09:52 PM) *

wink.gif

EXACTLY! That was what I was stressing about. Neither one seemed to be a good solution, so I agree with the idea of selling (or trading) the tank to someone who needs it. I'll probably have it hot tanked to remove the paint, then paint or powdercoat it before I sell it. I'm sure someone will appreciate it. I have no problem using an aftermarket tank - hell, most of my car will be aftermarket when I get through with it.

No offense taken, I'm just a bit frustrated by my lack of knowledge and I think having my car up on jack stands for 8 months is starting to get to me.

IPB Image

Personally, I would do nothing to the tank. It's not going to "improve" the tank, and it might actually be worth more undisturbed. Just my .02
Eric_Shea
Got something that might help.

I think you're spot on with having it dipped. I wouldn't do Powder Coat on it though. Before I started powder coating arms, I used POR 15 then I switched to this:

http://raybuck.com/c-54784-zero-rust-metal...t-aerosols.html

This stuff has a finish that would be a nice match for a stock tank. Take your time with it and you'll have a damn nice (like new from what I can see) Sporto tank you can sell. It should bring as much or more than the aftermarket tanks.
brant
I don't want to be the debbie downer in this thread
but my 2cents.

in 26 years of 914 ownership, modifying, and racing
I have never once seen anyone looking for a sporto tank
I agree they are rare, but there is also zero demand because so few (practically none) cars were ever built needing them

I do remember about 8-10 years back when the factory sold off remaining inventory of sporto tanks. They were cheaper than the standard tanks because there was a push to dump old inventory that had no demand.

I'm not trying to be a buzz kill
but you may find that it brings no more money than a used standard tank
you may want to just use it.
I find that when my car is on jackstands too long, I sometimes have to take a step back and just start finishing things. May not always be the way I wanted them to be absolutely detailed... but still getting a running and driving car can take small sacrafices to the perfect car that isn't driveable.

I'm very proud of the quality of my race car project. I had to make sacrifices to get it done in a tight time frame. Its not perfect but I've had 6 years of fun with it now as a runner, versus still trying to get it perfect and have it still be on jack stands

not trying to slam anyone
just my opinion
your tank is a good tank
it will work
you may sell it easily (I hope)
or you may not be able to sell it and focus a lot of time and energy to be right back where you are.

brant
moparrob
Thanks guys. The advice is well taken.

Eric, are there any dealers for that paint or is it only available online?
Dr Evil
Just get some pipe fittings and plug it wink.gif
poke.gif

Hey Rob :waveby:
moparrob
My car, per the configurator.....

IPB Image

Need to get it off the jackstands....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.