Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When it rains it pours...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
Been driving the 914 for a few weeks while I slog through my Subaru's head gasket repair. On the way to work yesterday the clutch goes "POP!" and looses about half its adjustment. I figure the cable is done for and buy a new one. No biggie...

Turns out the clutch tube broke away from the tunnel. So now I get to join that club. 2 cars down. All I need to do now is get some cinderblock and push both of them on to the front lawn...
bandjoey
Temporary repair with a U Bolt...keep it running. idea.gif
Krieger
I heard a wise man once said: steel sharpens steel.
underthetire
I feel your pain. 914 has head problems, my Jeep last week lost, fan control relay, emergency brake, and passenger side window regulator. I have vise grips holding up the window, but it's raining like hell here, and there is still a nice little gap for rain to get in to.
JeffBowlsby
If its the front of the tube that let go, its an easy job actually.

yeahmag
Hoping to just plug weld it too... I all ready have SS lines, so risk of fire is a bit lower...
yeahmag
Jeff,

It looks like you just plug welded right to the tube itself. That's what I was considering as I'm assuming the bracket won't be in good shape. Any draw backs to that? I have a friend that is a professional welder bringing his TIG by to help, so heat control should be a non issue.
yeahmag
...and its loose at the firewall too. Good grief.
yeahmag
What a day! Was able to finish the 914 AND the Subaru. A good friend came over with a portable TIG and we plug welded the bracket at the front of the clutch cable and used a very heavy washer "kustomized" to fit on the rear at the firewall. Clutch feels amazing! I had no idea how bad it "was".

Subaru fired up first crank and no leaks. PS pump is a little noisy, but I either damaged it using that belt and pulley to remove the crank pulley nut or the belt is a bit loose (or it needs the fluid changed). In any event. It lives!
jaxdream
Congrats piratenanner.gif , that's just gotta feel great !!!To have both fixed at the same time .

Jack / Jaxdream
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.