Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 914 2.0 Apperance grp. Factory Alloys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
suzruscigno
Greeting all - I am currently in GA moving from CA a few years back. I have owned my 914 for 26 years as I always have wanted one as a youth. I been through two rebuilds last one by Bauer Porsche in Oakland CA. (I believe it has about 5k on the rebuild) original fuel injection. I've also had the seats recovered. As well as painting it charcoal gray from the original Revenna Green. I understand I probably should not have done this, but being just a spray over I'm sure it can be restored to the original color if one wanted. Also it seems that most of the rubber seals around the windows and other need to be replaced.

I had it trucked from CA to GA a few years back and since it has been stored. I am planning on moving back to CA. and unfortunately I must part with my old friend:-(

I was wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark figure of what it would be worth to an enthusiast. In my town no one has any clue about 914's so I must inquirer beyond. Also any clues on where to sell in or outside the forum?

Any and all responses would be welcomed!

(No pics currently as the car is stored elsewhere.)

Thanks!

VIN:4732901103
IronHillRestorations
Without detail pictures of the typical problem areas, it's difficult to estimate a close value, it could be a $5k car or it could be a $12k car, but that's probably the range.
suzruscigno
Thanks! I know it's difficult to be precise w/o pic etc... I'm going to try and get to the car this week and get pics at least. I can't get it to my place because he claims it won't start even on a charge. I just put in a new battery last year so I've no idea what the issue is. But will post pics soon! Thanks again!
smg914
Does your 914 currently have or did it ever have black vinyl covering the windshield loop like the one in the photo below?

Thanks,
Steve
Mike Bellis
Well the California price range for a non running 914 is $300-$2000 depending on rust issues. Yours needs new rubber and paint to start with. That is a $3000 hit at a minimum to replace. If you get it running you will get more money for it. The fact that is was rebuilt and then sat without running is not good. 914 FI parts are not cheap if they need replacing. The biggest factor is rust in the hell hole. Look under the battery tray, poke with a screwdriver. Look at the passenger side jack post for rust too. If the rust is not bad, East cost guys may want a real California car. You have to find the market. I could buy a nice driver here for $3000 or a fresh resto for $6000. There is a mint 76 for sale near by at a consignment shop going for $11k. It is super nice.

I think you should find a way to bring it back to California and keep it.
Tom_T
agree.gif with Mike about bringing it back out to CA.

They will fit in the back of a moving van trailer or U-haul with 6-12" on each side BTW! I moved a 914 shell that way locally for my resto parts, since it didn't have a suspension or wheels.

Also, the Orange one in the pic on Steve's/smg's post above is exactly one digit VIN before yours - ....1102! I'm betting it originally had the A-pillar vinyl on yours too. He's in SoCal in Anaheim Hills near me.

As an early 914-2.0 it has some unique features such as that, probably the chrome window crank handles & door handle cups (interior - or did have), etc. which were hold-over 72 MY items unique to only the first 1000-2000 73 MY 914s, as well as being marketed in the US as a "914S" for the first half of the 73 MY up to about Jan/Feb 73.

Mine is VIN ...1954 & built about 2 weeks after ...1102 (& probably yours), and the OO/PO & I did multiple color change repaints - last to a color which sounds similar to yours (see small pic at my avatar in the upper left of this post), but I'll be going back to it's OE L80E Light Ivory (white) in my resto. I'd suggest you take yours back to the OE color eventually as well, and replace/add-back any oddities noted above which used to be on it, to have an accurate resto & worth best bucks!

To your value - a top quality driver 73 914-2.0 currently is lately in the high teens ($19-20k), & low is in the $12-13k range according to NADA (these are not the show quality restos , which are still $20k+), and I've seen avg. DD's in the $6-8k range lately (everything is down with the economy). As stated above, a project car is well below that, but it all depends on condition & what needs done.

You can enter your zip code at this link below & the make, model & year info, to get the current NADA price range low-mid-high for your area, which is what a dealer would charge, based on condition. Once you do that, then you can bookmark the 73 914-2.0 page & recheck the current values each time you log in, because IIRC it saves your zip info.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars

Posting pix here will help get a better fix on value, and you can look at the Auto Atlanta website to see if they have any recent GA sales on there.

Good Luck & hopefully you decide to bring it back to CA & get it running! beerchug.gif
McMark
agree.gif Depends a lot on the condition of the chassis. I'll wait for pictures to say anything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.