Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Hardware
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
A&PGirl
What was the Point of this?
Basically what I'm doing is providing hardware in the correct head type, correct size/thread pitch and correct length. Most of the hardware is NLA Porsche or silly expensive if it is available. I have spent a lot of time, effort and money buying up hardware pieces to measure (that are now NLA slap.gif ) and measuring off of somewhat unmolested cars.

What Kind of Hardware can I get?
I can get most pieces in Replica with is the same as OEM with Yellow Zinc Plating instead of Yellow Cadmium(fed. rules) and Stainless Steel.

What do I do with the hardware?
I assemble them into kits. The hardware is sealed and I provide documentation on where the hardware goes on the 914.

How Many Kits do I have?
Done? 9ish. Research done? Pretty much the whole car except for a few niggling FI pieces & interior pieces. And some -6 Only stuff, I don't have access to a 6. sad.gif

Why Don't I have more available?
Avg assembly time for start to finish is roughly 45min for kits over 75 pieces. Receiving of hardware is an Average of 2 weeks. If I need to plate something, plating takes 1 week and sorting takes 1-2 days depending on the weight of the hardware.

How are your kits priced?
It depends on the total quantity of pieces per kit and the pricing I can get when I buy the hardware. I am not here to stick you guys, play games or charge outrageous prices.

For example my Lock Kit: It has (54) pieces. Its price is $38.00
It has a relatively low amount of bolts in it. Bolts cost me more, which in turn affects the kit price.

Do I do discounts?
Yes, sometimes I Pre-release things on 914World at discount in Group Buys.

Do I website to buy from?
I hope by the end of next week.

See:1st Group Buy
See this on plating: Cad vs Yellow Zinc
Vendor Thread: Vendor page

Original Introduction:
Hey all,
I'm trying to gage the interest if I made packs of hardware (year & engine) correct, both in stainless steel & oem (depending on availability) for things like door latches, interior, headlight, taillight, doors, etc. Would this be beneficial to anyone?
Please share this anyone who has a 914 and may not be a member on 914world.

Carrie
sww914
Rockers. All that stuff is rusty and broken and missing on most of the cars by now and I can only find white plastic washers locally.
type47
Seatbelt hardware seems to be difficult to find with the special bolts and washers.
Gint
You should add a poll option for 'most if not all'.
kconway
OEM meaning yellow zinc? I'd be in for that.
jaxdream
What about bolt , nut ,and washer material hardness - 8.8 , 10.9 , 12.9 ???? Local hardware stores carry the silver zinc coated , but at the 8.8 hardness , 10.9 or even 12.9 would be great , especially for structure / sub frame bolts .
Just a $ .02 quextion.

Jack / Jaxdream
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 21 2011, 09:02 AM) *

You should add a poll option for 'most if not all'.

agree.gif Rocker and sill trim rivets, anything in the engine compartment that is visable. Correct door panel clips anything visable in the front trunk. Seat belt bolts, wave washers and plastic covers. ect.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Great idea Carrie. You may want to look at this thread in "the club" for a good start to your venture: http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=254355

QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Feb 20 2011, 07:13 PM) *

Hey all,

I'm trying to gage the interest if I made packs of hardware (year & engine) correct, both in stainless steel & oem (depending on availability) for things like door latches, interior, headlight, taillight, doors, etc. Would this be beneficial to anyone?

Please share this anyone who has a 914 and may not be a member on 914world.

Carrie

d914
I'ver spent $$ and time going to lowes and such looking for new hardware.. this would be a great service. all of the above.
A&PGirl
QUOTE(sww914 @ Feb 20 2011, 08:44 PM) *

Rockers. All that stuff is rusty and broken and missing on most of the cars by now and I can only find white plastic washers locally.

Great idea. All my heads snapped off with about 3-4 threads worth leaving the rusty bodies in the long causing me to suppress that memory. Talk about headbang.gif
A&PGirl
QUOTE(kconway @ Feb 21 2011, 09:10 AM) *

OEM meaning yellow zinc? I'd be in for that.

Yes. Or black oxide/phosphate or plain zinc where it was used.

(Yes, black coating and plain zinc are OEM too)
A&PGirl
On the stainless steel, when you have a pan (allen) head piece would you prefer it to be a bolt or stay an allen? Some places this probably isn't possible because of tolerances/space issues.
RJMII
a pan (allen) head

That would be my preference. smile.gif
jsayre914
I voted other.

For all of the above biggrin.gif
Tom_T
Other = All of the above + engine tins, door thresholds, etc.

I put more details in your 914club poll, since I saw that one first.

Great idea! beerchug.gif
McMark
I would only be interested in them if they were true to the original hardware. I can buy nuts and bolts down the street. But if you take the time to make 'perfect' replica kits, then you've got something. I've thought about this many times, but finding all the correct hardware in the correct colors is VERY time consuming.
tod914
Porsche still has some of the hardware. But, alot of it has been superceeded by now. So you may or may not get the original finish that came on your car. I noticed that with various clamps, rivets, and a various nuts and bolts. I've ordered the same parts at the same time and got two different finishes on them. Zinc clear and Zinc yellow. New stock mixed with old essentially. Agree with Mark on the "perfect" replica kits.
A&PGirl
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 22 2011, 08:58 AM) *

Porsche still has some of the hardware. But, alot of it has been superceeded by now. So you may or may not get the original finish that came on your car. I noticed that with various clamps, rivets, and a various nuts and bolts. I've ordered the same parts at the same time and got two different finishes on them. Zinc clear and Zinc yellow. New stock mixed with old essentially. Agree with Mark on the "perfect" replica kits.

On the bolts, nuts & about 1/2 the washers, the original is yellow zinc. The clear zinc was probably the cheaper substitution they bought or they raided from the VW line. The other 1/2 of the washers appear to be a combination of plain steel and a black phosphate/oxide coating. Most of the screws seem to have had a clear zinc coating which has worn off over time. The machine screws are steel w/zinc plating and it appears that the other two types of screws were/are steel with a zinc coating. The speed nuts have a gold/yellow plating and the lettering tapping nuts appear to be steel that may/may not have a zinc coating.

Er, yes I do know where to get the OEM hardware to almost 'perfect' replica kits.

tod914
Nice job Carrie. Seems like you did your homework on this.
JFJ914
Ok, youv'e got the finish handled; but can you source KAMAX and VERBUS fasteners? If you can you will be the "Godess" of 914 hardware!
A&PGirl
I got some VERBUS hardware at the local Bughaus today for 914's. I might go back and buy them out on that part. Expensive though. dry.gif

It appears that VERBUS is available only to authorized OEM's. However, I will see if the BugHaus will tell me who their supplier is. Also, I can probably buy VERBUS straight from Porsche, but that would cause the price of the kits to go up.

I've started a new thread to double check on OEM hardware specs. Please contribute if you can. smile.gif

Here: 914 Hardware quesions
A&PGirl
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 23 2011, 08:47 AM) *

Nice job Carrie. Seems like you did your homework on this.

Thank you!
Niklas
Hello!
I have bougth from wegertseder.com in germany.
They have all the correct parts.

Niklas
A&PGirl
QUOTE(Niklas @ Feb 26 2011, 09:25 AM) *

Hello!
I have bougth from wegertseder.com in germany.
They have all the correct parts.

Niklas

Hi Niklas,

I took a look at their website this weekend through Google translate. They seem to have a lot of the parts from a brief look. The only downside is they don't ship outside of Europe.
A&PGirl
Due to completely unforeseen circumstances for the last week and a half, hardly any work on the kits have been done. Last week, on Monday, my mom had to be taken to the emergency room when a known bone tumor shattered in her leg. Needless to say, my father, I, her sister and her nieces rotated staying with her in the ICU.

She passed away without struggling last Thursday in the ICU. My father was with her. I was at the old family county cross state getting information to deal with land theft and potential mineral rights theft among other things. Her sister and nieces had gone back home to sleep or go back to work. We buried her on Tuesday at the old family cemetery cross state with most of the family in attendance. The rest of the week will be spent dealing with her personal effects.

Don't worry, work on the kits will be resumed next week or the week following that. I may have to make runs to another county to get information on other family land in the next few weeks, but it shouldn't eat my time like going cross state.
MDG
Carrie, I am so sorry to hear this. Best thoughts to you and your family.

mike
VaccaRabite
Carrie, I am so sorry to hear this. Take your time and take care of the family. We will be here. My best to you and yours.

Zach
mojorisen914
Carrie,

I'm sorry to hear that. My thoughts go out to you and your family.
rick 918-S
Crushing. I'm sorry for your loss Carrie. If we can do anything.
tod914
So sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom Carrie. Take care.
Gint
I'm very sorry Carrie. Let us know if we can help in any way.
racerbvd
Sorry for your Loss...
Kansas 914
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Mar 12 2011, 06:13 PM) *

Sorry for your Loss...

Carrie and Alan,

I am so very sorry - my deepest condolences to you both.
914-300Hemi
Sorry for your loss Carrie
racerbvd
Any news???
A&PGirl
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Apr 7 2011, 10:59 PM) *

Any news???

I've identified all the sources for the hardware in the lock kit in stainless steel and yellow zinc (replica). Currently, I'm setting up relationships with the suppliers. I don't have an accurate estimate when I'll have everything in hand ready to ship, but I hope it will be less than 4 weeks.

ph34r.gif
Sneak peek:

Lock kit> refers to more than the door handles
ph34r.gif
racerbvd
Great news, trying to get the 914-6 ready for the Parade concours.

QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Apr 10 2011, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(racerbvd @ Apr 7 2011, 10:59 PM) *

Any news???

I've identified all the sources for the hardware in the lock kit in stainless steel and yellow zinc (replica). Currently, I'm setting up relationships with the suppliers. I don't have an accurate estimate when I'll have everything in hand ready to ship, but I hope it will be less than 4 weeks.

ph34r.gif
Sneak peek:

Lock kit> refers to more than the door handles
ph34r.gif

A&PGirl
Quick Update: I have everything ordered and hope to have everything in hand in 1-1 1/2 weeks. I just checked the tracking info and looks like 99.5% of the SS will be here by Wednesday.

The first kit will be a limited run to work out any kinks, so I'm just giving everyone a heads up.

Request:

I need someone with '75/'76 to look at where the wiring harness to license plate lights goes through the rear panel to see if there's a grommet for the hole and measure the hole for me. Thanks in advance. smile.gif
Kansas 914
Hi Carrie,

I am in for a cadmium plated looking complete set. Is the yellow zinc close to the cad plating?

Glad to see you back!
racerbvd
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Apr 14 2011, 11:31 AM) *

Quick Update: I have everything ordered and hope to have everything in hand in 1-1 1/2 weeks. I just checked the tracking info and looks like 99.5% of the SS will be here by Wednesday.

The first kit will be a limited run to work out any kinks, so I'm just giving everyone a heads up.

Request:

I need someone with '75/'76 to look at where the wiring harness to license plate lights goes through the rear panel to see if there's a grommet for the hole and measure the hole for me. Thanks in advance. smile.gif

I have a 76, I'll check on it this weekend..
A&PGirl
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Apr 14 2011, 03:38 PM) *

Thanks!

Hi Carrie,

I am in for a cadmium plated looking complete set. Is the yellow zinc close to the cad plating?

Glad to see you back!

Hi Mike,

Answer is yes, but like always there is some variation.
Here's the thread where you can make your own decision: Cadmium plating-Yellow Zinc plating
Kansas 914
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Apr 15 2011, 02:09 PM) *

Hi Mike,

Answer is yes, but like always there is some variation.
Here's the thread where you can make your own decision: Cadmium plating-Yellow Zinc plating

Thanks Carrie - good information. I think the yellow zinc will be fine for my use!

Cheers!
A&PGirl
Your welcome smile.gif
racerbvd
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Apr 15 2011, 11:09 AM) *

QUOTE(racerbvd @ Apr 14 2011, 03:38 PM) *

Thanks!

Here it is..

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
A&PGirl
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Apr 25 2011, 04:15 PM) *

Belated thanks... aktion035.gif
A&PGirl
I should have the first kit ready to go in Replica and SS by the middle of next week. It all depends on if Regionals will be held this weekend. If not, I'll be bagging.

Since this is a test run, I'll have a limited number of sets available. If it all goes well, I'll probably do a 2nd run of kit.

driving-girl.gif

Kansas 914
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Jun 1 2011, 04:56 PM) *

I should have the first kit ready to go in Replica and SS by the middle of next week. It all depends on if Regionals will be held this weekend. If not, I'll be bagging.

Since this is a test run, I'll have a limited number of sets available. If it all goes well, I'll probably do a 2nd run of kit.

driving-girl.gif

You know I am in for whatever you can put together!
racerbvd
Any idea of a price?? Are do you need anything, as I need 2 complete kits..

timofly
Sail panel trim, trim at rear of roll bar
racerbvd
QUOTE(timofly @ Jun 1 2011, 05:46 PM) *

Sail panel trim, trim at rear of roll bar

Love it, the Sailer needs Sail panel trim hardware beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.