Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Linkage Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
damnfiknow
Just finished my fifth installation of my transmission in the past 2 weeks. I doing this alone so hope to heck I have the clutch throw accurate this time. Needless to say I have got the in and out pretty well down. But, the final step (for me) of connecting the shift rod at the firewall is a bi#ch. I have tried bracing the shift lever in the cockpit to hold in place. No good. I have held the rod with vicegrips at the firewall. Not much better. Any ideas? All of this is at jack stand level. I don't have a lift.
r_towle
Get someone to hold the shifter....that way it can be turned to get the screw lined up...and pushed to insert the ujoint..

Rich
76-914
I use some needle nose vice grips. The thin jaws give you room enough to work.
silver74insocal
is this a tail shift thing? confused24.gif i hooked mine up (side shifter) without a hitch. i did have my shifter removed, so i could pull the bar out quite a bit, bing bang boom, done. definetly scribe or mark the bar and the shift connector both horizontally and vertically before removing though, im still fine tuning mine after i newb'd it and just yanked it out. good luck beerchug.gif Dave
Dr Evil
Some are a bitch to get. I just do gymnastics and push here, pull there, foot here, elbow there, until the angles line up. Then, I get a friend and it takes a minute. If you didnt already put oil in it, you can pull the shift console housing on the tranny and then reinstall the whole thing once the rod is hooked up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.