Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help can't get my doors opened with key
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
weird_looking_cactus
I just got new outside door handles cause my old ones both broke. I have them on and when I lock the door from the inside it will make it so you can't open it from the outside when using the key. The key works fine it goes in and lets me turn it but it won't unluck it. It the same way on both doors.
URY914
Did you put the little piece on the handle that is held in place by a screw. It is a small metal piece that has an off set pin on it that moves the latch when the key is turned.

See it here at the top of the picture...

Paul
weird_looking_cactus
Yep that peace is on the handle when I stuck them on. The door opens just fine and locks just fine its just it won't unlock. Is there anything else it could be. Cause with my old locks before the handles broke they locked and unlock just fine.
URY914
Did the new handles come with new lock cylinders and keys?

Or did you install the existing ones?

Paul
TheCabinetmaker
Did you unscrew that peice and change the lock inside with the old ones?
URY914
That's right. If you take the screw out and pull off that piece with the pin on it, the lock cylinder can be pulled out with the key.

Paul
weird_looking_cactus
Here is what I bought and just took the old one out and stuck the new ones in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=34204
URY914
You got a SWEET!! deal.

You may have them on the wrong doors. They would be upside down if they are switched and I don't think they will work. That pin has to rotate in the right direct to unlock the door.

You may have to pull one to see.

Paul
VegasRacer
Can you lock the door from the outside with the key?

(you got those handles for a great price)
Aaron Cox
door handles do work flipped! i know they do....

im guessing you dont have the right key for them. it is EXTREMELY easy to change out lock cylinders.
haynes describes it..."adequately"...
*put key in lock cyl, unscrew the back of the cylinder...etc.

very easy.
weird_looking_cactus
When the key in the lock it turns the whole thing cause before I put them in the car I test it. But I will take them out and switch them around that is probley my problem.
URY914
Why did you relace them, were they broken?

Don't throw the broken ones away. I'll take them off your hands.

Paul
Aaron Cox
when installing door handles, the "tab" on the backside of the lock has to be engaged in the door locking mechanism.....,

look at the pic in the beginnig of the thread, its the "tab" on the back of the lock

hope im making sense sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.