Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: how hard is it
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
I've been thinking about this lately.

Back when I only had Beetles I thought a type IV would be too expensive, but now that I'm buying them left and right I see this isn't always the case. And it would be a nice boost for the fun factor!

How hard is it to put one of these into a Beetle?
Specifically a 73 Super Beetle.
driving.gif
AndyB
I would say ask Jake.
underthetire
I was thinking the same thing for the ghia wenarenprobably picking up. The upright cooling system conversion would probably cost more than a decent type 1.
Zimms
Joe Cali has been doing them for years. Jake had him on one of his first radio shows. His site:

Joe Cali

Some of his work:

Tunacan website
ConeDodger
Jake's Aircooled Technology Forum has a section on Type IV conversion...
RJMII
IIRC, it takes the upright cooling system, a different flywheel and clutch, modified sheet metal, and engine mount.

I'm sure I left something out, besides the exhaust; but, since it has been done so much I bet there are kits out there that make it super easy and have had a couple decades of improvements done.
underthetire
I forgot Jake did them
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/p...at=0&page=1

Think we will keep ours type 1 for now.
stugray
Did anyone mention to check:

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/home.php

Stu
veltror
The Germans have been doing this for years I'll post some links later.
Jake Raby
We've been doing it for years too.. I did my first one 20 years ago.

My forums are all about the conversion, we have every part necessary to BOLT the engine in, no cuting and no hassles.
76-914
Jake can correct me but I think the ghia has enough room to use the T4 w/o mods to the std T4 cooling system.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 26 2011, 07:36 PM) *

Jake can correct me but I think the ghia has enough room to use the T4 w/o mods to the std T4 cooling system.

Yeah if you want to cut up the engine bay and still settle for compromised cooling and an engine that weighs 40# more. Converting to upright is the only way to go.
Dr Evil
Chris (type11969) has a TIV converted bug. I wanted to get it from him at one time smile.gif
Gary
Fits nice biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Jake Raby
MassIVe engines all converted to upright using my DTM. These engines average 140-250HP, all are street engines on pump gas. The conversion is simple with perfected components.

In a beetle.. note the airconditioning, this is my Wife's car
IPB Image

This one is a 3 liter twin plug making 250HP
IPB Image

In a VW Thing
IPB Image

In an early Bay Window Bus
IPB Image

In a 356A (yes that is a V2 DTM!
IPB Image

In a 356B
IPB Image

In a 912
IPB Image
IPB Image
ripper911
Thanks Jake! I knew it would fit... chowtime.gif

I'll take one of each of those cars! w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.