Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick Points Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
avidfanjpl
OK, saw this a few times in the last 2 years, but does anyone know if there is a best in class points replacement kit easily available?

And how do you replace the points with the new electronics?

I am done with points. Need to skip the adjustment thing for good.

I will take my chances and keep a set of points in the car just in case, but what is the best way to get this decided and done?

Thanks!

John
avidfanjpl
turnaround89
Pertronix II or Pertronix I are pretty common to use, they come with everything you need to change from points to electronic. Just make sure you get the correct one for the dizzy you have and don't wire it backwards(if you do wire it backwards you'll end up with a 120 dollar paperweight)

Supposedly the Pertronix II can be wired backwards and not fry, but im not gonna be the one to take the chance of testing that idea.
SLITS
QUOTE(esses62 @ Feb 27 2011, 05:43 AM) *

Newbie question. Can you use a petronix with a D-Jet? What do you do for the FI triigger points? confused24.gif

Trigger points are seperate from the ignition points. Yes, it will work just fine.
jt914-6
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Feb 26 2011, 10:55 PM) *

Pertronix II or Pertronix I are pretty common to use, they come with everything you need to change from points to electronic. Just make sure you get the correct one for the dizzy you have and don't wire it backwards(if you do wire it backwards you'll end up with a 120 dollar paperweight)

Supposedly the Pertronix II can be wired backwards and not fry, but im not gonna be the one to take the chance of testing that idea.

Pertonix II is only available for the six the last time I checked......
SLITS
Petronix Hall Effect

Compufire Hall Effect

Crane XR700 Optical

And I sure there are some unknown Chinese brands out there too!
76-914
I've run Pertronix for 8 yrs in one car and 2 in another and love 'em. One catch is you can't leave the ign switch in the on position when the car isn't running. They'll fry.
turnaround89
The pertronix II can be run in a 4, i am currently doing that...bought mine from jcwhitney.com....they had the best price plus free shipping at the time.

However, im not running a stock coil so maybe thats why i can run it in my 4

You can run one in a bosch 009 or 050 dizzy

Pertronix II at jcwhitney
jt914-6
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Feb 27 2011, 07:46 PM) *

The pertronix II can be run in a 4, i am currently doing that...bought mine from jcwhitney.com....they had the best price plus free shipping at the time.

However, im not running a stock coil so maybe thats why i can run it in my 4

You can run one in a bosch 009 or 050 dizzy

Pertronix II at jcwhitney

That's nice to know...the Ignitor II is a better unit than the orignal..... beerchug.gif
sww914
Pertronix is the easiest thing ever.
avidfanjpl
Thanks all! Pertronix it will be

Do I disconnect the coil if I want to leave the key on for something?

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.