Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: black trim on some cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
VRROOMM1
hi i have a set of black trim i took off a car did some non aperance group cars have black not chrome trim? thanks doug h
Tom_T
Yup - the 74 LE's had the "blacked-out look" that I know of, and maybe some others.
DanT
DaveKs car has black bumpers and black targa trim, no vinyl etc... biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
My 73 Ravenna car has black sail trim and no targaa vinyl.
silver74insocal
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif popcorn[1].gif
dlkawashima
Here's a picture of my car (that Dan mentions above). It's a late model year '73 2.0 - build date of 6/73. Notice the black bumpers, black trim surrounding the back of the targa bar, and the lack of vinyl on the sail panels.

I've tried to find out more about these black trim 2.0's from '73 but information on these seems to have fallen through the cracks. As best as I can tell, relatively few USA-spec 2.0's were trimmed out like this -- most are 1.7's. They were built in the second half of the model year, from as early as 3/73 and possibly earlier, onward.

You can read more about this model in a thread I started here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=112525

If you read through the thread I linked, you'll see that the car was outfitted to fit into a gap in the price between the standard 1.7 and the fully optioned 2.0. Basically, the car was stripped of most of the options from the Appearance group except the center console and retained most of the options from the Performance group.

In the back: black bumper, black trim around the targa bar, no vinyl on sail panels
IPB Image

In the front: black bumper, no fog lights (skirt below valance is aftermarket)
IPB Image
larryM
Black, instead of bright, trim around the windows, winshield, rear sail, and even door handles, etc was a common appearance differentiation feature on 914-6's in Germany;

i have owned 2 of these euro 6's with all black trim -

I always suspected it was intentionally done by the owners to make the sixes stand out from the proletarian 4's - but that's just a guess

my own sixer came with black trim - but when I changed the car to all black, i chose to trim it bright - i still have a couple of the original black pieces

if you look at the 1974 pictures of my car in Germany you'll see that distinction http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2561894430069941679Eclwfg

QUOTE(VRROOMM1 @ Feb 28 2011, 09:09 AM) *

hi i have a set of black trim i took off a car did some non aperance group cars have black not chrome trim? thanks doug h

SirAndy
At least on early cars (6 and 4) the chrome trim was optional. The standard equipment was black trim and body colored bumpers.

shades.gif
scotty b
Was the original black, paint or anodizing ?

FWIW I have scrapped several standard cars over the years with black bumpers but none had black trim confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 14 2011, 08:18 PM) *
Was the original black, paint or anodizing?

Black ... Never mind the wrong wheels on the car pictured ...

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 14 2011, 10:44 AM) *

At least on early cars (6 and 4) the chrome trim was optional. The standard equipment was black trim and body colored bumpers.

shades.gif

The ONLY black trim I've seen on VERY early 914's was anodized (you could tell by the fading of years, and it was aluminum). But, it could be a Euro thing.

Early bumpers (non-app grp) were painted body color.

Never, ever have I seen mouldings in this country painted to match (as shown on the rear of your pic). Odd that the windshield molding would be anodized black, yet the targa rear moulding painted. Maybe, again, a Euro thing.

There are so many anomolies with the very early 914's, than one would be hardpressed to argue with an original owner (note: original owner). Keeps it interesting, eh?
Pat
JeffBowlsby
Cool...they must have changed the windshield or at least the trim on 4702900001. This photo from a couple years ago.
Mikey914
As you may know I have been working on the trim for the windshield and the sails are in the works but still a ways out. I have acquired a set of windshield and sail trim that I thought were from a LE. It appeared to have a paint that etched into the aluminum(kind of like an acid etch), and even faded a little like black anodized would look .

It was definitely a paint as when I scratched it I could see that it was adhered to the surface of the aluminum, but only under a magnifying glass. They looked like high quality pieces and I thought they were OEM, can anyone confirm the anodizing for sure. I want to make them just like OEM. Perhaps these were just an acid etch paint?
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 14 2011, 12:44 PM) *

shades.gif

Not to be picky but as I recall the early "plain Jayne" cars had matching targa bar trim, bumpers and plain fog light location grilles painted to match the car. Especially true of '70 thru '72 914-4's, black trim and bumpers on '73-'74. Never saw a street 914-6 other than chrome and vinyl sails.

And now I suspect someone will prove me wrong... as usual.
JeffBowlsby
The 74 LE cars came with black painted rear Targa bar trim. This piece showed up on ebay a few years ago, said it was PN 914.559.107.13

I can find no other reference to this part #, but it is definitely a satin paint, not anodized, and is high quality. It is the best photo I have seen of this color/sheen. All LE's I have seen with their original paint/trim have this finish.

lennyhope
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 20 2011, 05:48 PM) *

The 74 LE cars came with black painted rear Targa bar trim. This piece showed up on ebay a few years ago, said it was PN 914.559.107.13

I can find no other reference to this part #, but it is definitely a satin paint, not anodized, and is high quality. It is the best photo I have seen of this color/sheen. All LE's I have seen with their original paint/trim have this finish.

My car is a 1973 1.7 Non Appearance Group car...I thought ALL the NA Group cars came with black trim?! The other bits and pieces are my period dealer add ons...The car is now UK registered here in England...

IPB Image
dlestep
I am not an authority on this, but I didn't see black trim state-side until '74.
I did see blacked-out trim in Germany, (1969-1972).
My first impression is that it immediately took-away from the car. It didn't seem
normal, and at that time, I thought it looked tacky. For the longest time, I thought
people were painting them black.
A friend in Sacramento, had purchased an Adriatic Blue, 1970, with no vinyl on
sail panel, and with anodized trim.
It even had the deposit and passenger foot piece. The first time I saw an M471,
I thought it was awesome.
I still think that the only color that the blacked-out trim looks best on is orange,
and that's without the vinyl. I don't like the trim blacked-out with the vinyl.
But that's me.
Matt Romanowski
Alan Caldwell (PCA Tech Chair) can tell you all about these cars. They were done in 73 as a way to "spice up" the car and get more to sell. It was basically the appearance package in black without the vinyl on the sail panels.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 15 2011, 06:14 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 14 2011, 10:44 AM) *

shades.gif

The ONLY black trim I've seen on VERY early 914's was anodized (you could tell by the fading of years, and it was aluminum). But, it could be a Euro thing.

Early bumpers (non-app grp) were painted body color.

Never, ever have I seen mouldings in this country painted to match (as shown on the rear of your pic). Odd that the windshield molding would be anodized black, yet the targa rear moulding painted. Maybe, again, a Euro thing.

There are so many anomolies with the very early 914's, than one would be hardpressed to argue with an original owner (note: original owner). Keeps it interesting, eh?
Pat

I suspect you will find that the window trim in the photo is bright aluminum. My "plain Jayne" '70 914/4 came with body colored bumps and targa trim.
lennyhope
So....my Summer Yellow 1.7 NA Group car, pictured above..., is rare, as only 1973??
SirAndy
QUOTE(lennyhope @ Nov 25 2013, 08:45 AM) *

So....my Summer Yellow 1.7 NA Group car, pictured above..., is rare, as only 1973??

For a no chrome car the bumpers should have been body color, not black ...
idea.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(lennyhope @ Nov 25 2013, 08:45 AM) *

I'm certainly no expert, but I believe U.S. spec, non-appearance group cars had body colored bumpers and body colored trim around the targa bar from 1970 thru '72 and black in '73. In 1974 bumpers were black but the vinyl covered sail panels had become standard, so bright trim was used around the targa bar on all 914s thereafter EXCEPT the 1000 or so Limited Edition cars.

Jeff Bowlsby's site is a great resource for material. Check out the Porsche Brochure Marketing Archive (link below). You can go through all the years and note the differences, U.S. spec vs. Rest Of World as well:
https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Brochures.htm

Click to view attachment
Dunc
I apologize in advance if my question has been answered previously. My 73 has black trim at the rear sail edge and at the rear edge of the window and at the engine grille. One contributor mentioned that these were anodized. Question: How can I duplicate that color without removing the parts and re-anodizing?

Thanks

Dunc.
mepstein
QUOTE(Dunc @ Jan 22 2021, 03:38 PM) *

I apologize in advance if my question has been answered previously. My 73 has black trim at the rear sail edge and at the rear edge of the window and at the engine grille. One contributor mentioned that these were anodized. Question: How can I duplicate that color without removing the parts and re-anodizing?

Thanks

Dunc.

Cerikote paint will get it close but the look of anodizing is unique.
Dunc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 22 2021, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Dunc @ Jan 22 2021, 03:38 PM) *

Thanks

Dunc.

Cerikote paint will get it close but the look of anodizing is unique.

biggrin.gif Mine is highly bastardized also. Renegade w/fender flares and GT front and back clips. Thanks for your help.
wonkipop
just to throw things off more.

there was a white crayfords rhd converted 73 2.0 here in the 70s and 80s that had vinyl covered sail panels and black trim to both the sail panel and windscreen.

i have not seen that car in the flesh since the late 80s but have a distinct memory of it because it seemed unusual to me. i was familiar only with images of 914s at that time with chrome trim and don't think i had even seen an image of a 914 without vinyl sail panels. (there were only about 1/2 a dozen cars in aus back then and they all had vinyl sail panels).

you can see the car in question if you look at the brooklands publication - porsche 914 1969-1975. there is a reprint of an article on the car that appeared in modern motor 1975. the images are pretty low res reprints as they are in that book, but you can see the black trim in them.

it might have been factory or it might have been an owner mod. or even a special order.
but it was on the car way back then when the car was a year old.

given that the car had porsche lettering on the engine grille it could point to an owner mod. though the other crayfords car in aus also had porsche lettering on the engine grille.
most european delivery cars did not. both cars originally would have been uk delivery.
the other crayfords car had the chrome trim.

noteworthy in that whie car was that the lower normally chrome trim on the sail panel was black.
bbrock
QUOTE(Dunc @ Jan 22 2021, 01:38 PM) *

Thanks

Dunc.

I have a non-appearance group 73 2.0L and am not convinced the black trim was anodized. When I stripped my rear targa trim to refurbish, I found black paint over bright anodized metal. SEM satin trim black was pretty much a perfect match to how they looked when I got the car.

The caveat is that I'm not the original owner of the car and it did get a cheap respray in the early 80s so can't say for certain they were original when I found them. However, considering the crappy quality of the paint job and the screws driven through the rear roll bar trim instead of properly replacing the hidden mounting clips, I don't think the trim had gotten much love before I got the car.

Dunc
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 24 2021, 09:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Dunc @ Jan 22 2021, 01:38 PM) *

Thanks

Dunc.

I have a non-appearance group 73 2.0L and am not convinced the black trim was anodized. When I stripped my rear targa trim to refurbish, I found black paint over bright anodized metal. SEM satin trim black was pretty much a perfect match to how they looked when I got the car.

The caveat is that I'm not the original owner of the car and it did get a cheap respray in the early 80s so can't say for certain they were original when I found them. However, considering the crappy quality of the paint job and the screws driven through the rear roll bar trim instead of properly replacing the hidden mounting clips, I don't think the trim had gotten much love before I got the car.

Thanks for all the input. Since I am not too concerned with originality, I think painting the trim to match the engine lid grille is the best option for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.