Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a little advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgphoto
Hello,
I am slowly redoing the rubber surrounding my windows, I am about to replace the "gasket for roll bar" as they are called in the PET, part #'s 914 531 143 10 and 914 531 144 10, more commonly know as the roll bar to window seals.

I have the factory repair manuals but I can not find any section related to the roll bar coverings, seals or the anodised trim for that matter.

It seems like there might be a channel for the rubber to slide into? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

luskesq
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Mar 2 2011, 03:23 PM) *

Hello,
I am slowly redoing the rubber surrounding my windows, I am about to replace the "gasket for roll bar" as they are called in the PET, part #'s 914 531 143 10 and 914 531 144 10, more commonly know as the roll bar to window seals.

I have the factory repair manuals but I can not find any section related to the roll bar coverings, seals or the anodised trim for that matter.

It seems like there might be a channel for the rubber to slide into? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

If what you are referring to is the gaskets that are on what I call the leading edge of the sail panel and the rear of the door windows, there is a trim piece the goes there secured by 3 or 4 screws. The trim piece has a lip on both sides (i.e. vertically if that makes sense) that the rubber goes into. It is a fairly easy install if you push one side in from top to bottom (or vis-a-versa) and use a little silicon grease on the other side and use something like a popsicle stick to press it in.

Hope that helps.

Keith
mgphoto
QUOTE(luskesq @ Mar 2 2011, 08:39 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Mar 2 2011, 03:23 PM) *

Hello,

Thanks,
Mike

If what you are referring to is the gaskets that are on what I call the leading edge of the sail panel and the rear of the door windows, there is a trim piece the goes there secured by 3 or 4 screws. The trim piece has a lip on both sides (i.e. vertically if that makes sense) that the rubber goes into. It is a fairly easy install if you push one side in from top to bottom (or vis-a-versa) and use a little silicon grease on the other side and use something like a popsicle stick to press it in.

Hope that helps.

Keith

Hey Keith,
Thanks for the reply, I tried to do it but the new rubber is much to stiff for a popsicle stick, I worked it for an hour and got about 2 inches into it and broke 2 sticks (although the ice cream treat is a welcome diversion) , I replace the old gasket using the popsicle stick method without problem.
I will look for something a bit sturdier than the stick and I think I may need to take off the interior piece so I can work it from inside out, the outside lip of the gasket curls around the trim piece making it very awkward to push the edge into the groove.
Hope that makes sense.
More suggestions are very welcome.
Thanks again,
Mike

mrdkrantz
I had to use some flange pliers to straighten out my channels before I could replace mine. I re-bent the aluminun channels out a little bigger, slid the rubber in, then re-bent the channel back over. I used a rubber mallet and a wood "dolley" to support the metal as I shaped it tight to the rubber. I didnt bend the channel out a lot to make the rubber slide in, maybe a 1/32? It still took some elbow gease to push it in the channel. Took about 20mins for the first side, about 15 mins for the second. My car isnt perfect and Im not planning on winning any awards. I am happy with the results, My car doesnt leak anymore. Hope this helps
bandjoey
I used PB Blaster. Really slick stuff. I also opened the channels and re-crimped them after the install. Using a small rubber mallet I hit downward glancing blows and that total made the install about 10 minutes start to finish. smash.gif
mgphoto
Thanks everyone for the great advice, I did use Astroglide as a lube for the rubber, and I fashioned a tool to push the rubber lip into the channel, see photo below (a one inch wood chisel with the point blunted). It took all of my 250 lbs weight behind it, pushing maybe an 1/8 inch at a time. And if I ever do it again, I think a modification to the tool, a protrusion of about 1/4 inch on one side of the tool will help it push the lip further into the channel without a lot of twisting.
Good luck and I hope it helps someone else,
Mike

Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Mar 11 2011, 02:58 PM) *

Thanks everyone for the great advice, I did use Astroglide as a lube for the rubber, and I fashioned a tool to push the rubber lip into the channel, see photo below (a one inch wood chisel with the point blunted). It took all of my 250 lbs weight behind it, pushing maybe an 1/8 inch at a time. And if I ever do it again, I think a modification to the tool, a protrusion of about 1/4 inch on one side of the tool will help it push the lip further into the channel without a lot of twisting.
Good luck and I hope it helps someone else,
Mike

Click to view attachment

Good ole Astroglide! I actually used bar soap when I did mine last. Worked OK & only had two bloody knuckles!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.