Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice needed: Steps to get a 74 2.0 engine running again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PBC914
I bought a early 74 2.0 with original fuel injection (built in 8/73)-the car has been sitting for some time and does not run. As the weather gets warmer here in Minneapolis, in May I plan on working on the engine to get it running to determine what else it needs (new clutch/trans. rebuild) etc.

Here's what I plan to do:
-change oil
-change transmission fluid
-change plugs
-new vacuum lines
-replace the relay board
-check the injectors
-replace the fuel lines
-replace fuel filter
-new battery
-2 new ground straps
-new air filter
-new distributor and cap
-new shifter bushings
-new fuses

What else do I need to do? Replace?
Thanks for your time and input!
Paul
VaccaRabite
Does the engine turn over by hand, or is it seized?
if you turn the key to start it, does anyhting happen? Do you hear the fuel pump, etc?

Zach
PBC914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 3 2011, 11:55 AM) *

if you turn the key to start it, does anyhting happen? Do you hear the fuel pump, etc?

Zach

Unfortunately I won't know until I pull it from the location it is sitting in May. I will presume right now that it is not seized (it's a cheaper presumption!)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
valve adjust, valve adjust, valve adjust!!!

quote name='PBC914' date='Mar 3 2011, 10:43 AM' post='1439307']
I bought a early 74 2.0 with original fuel injection (built in 8/73)-the car has been sitting for some time and does not run. As the weather gets warmer here in Minneapolis, in May I plan on working on the engine to get it running to determine what else it needs (new clutch/trans. rebuild) etc.

-change oil
-change plugs
-new vacuum lines
-replace the relay board
-check the injectors
-replace the fuel lines
-replace fuel filter
-new battery
-2 new ground straps
-new air filter
-new distributor and cap
-new shifter bushings
-new fuses

Paul
[/quote]
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(PBC914 @ Mar 3 2011, 12:57 PM) *

Zach

Unfortunately I won't know until I pull it from the location it is sitting in May. I will presume right now that it is not seized (it's a cheaper presumption!)

until you have it in your hands, here are the basics and I would not worry about other stuff until you can tell if the engine even turns.

1) fuel lines and filters - assume they will be old and crumbly and just waiting to catch your car on fire. replace ALL of them. Even plan on replacing the ones that go through the tunnel with stainless steel. Fire sucks.

2) Oil. Brad Penn 20-50 RACING oil (if the oil is not green, it is the wrong BP oil). Buy a case.

3) Air filter element.

4) Plugs and plug wires. This could be a wait and see, but I would just plan on replacing them.

ALL the other stuff - even valve adjustments - should go on the "wait and see" list. Adjusting the valves won't cause a siezed engine to turn, unless they are so far out that there is piston to valve contact being made (which would be bad).
PBC914
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Mar 3 2011, 12:03 PM' post='1439317']
valve adjust, valve adjust, valve adjust!!!

quote name='PBC914' date='Mar 3 2011, 10:43 AM' post='1439307']

-change oil
-change plugs
-new vacuum lines
-replace the relay board
-check the injectors
-replace the fuel lines
-replace fuel filter
-new battery
-2 new ground straps
-new air filter
-new distributor and cap
-new shifter bushings
-new fuses

Paul
[/quote]
[/quote]

So what I hear you saying is....Thanks George.
PBC914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 3 2011, 12:20 PM) *

QUOTE(PBC914 @ Mar 3 2011, 12:57 PM) *

Zach

until you have it in your hands, here are the basics and I would not worry about other stuff until you can tell if the engine even turns.

1) fuel lines and filters - assume they will be old and crumbly and just waiting to catch your car on fire. replace ALL of them. Even plan on replacing the ones that go through the tunnel with stainless steel. Fire sucks.

2) Oil. Brad Penn 20-50 RACING oil (if the oil is not green, it is the wrong BP oil). Buy a case.

3) Air filter element.

4) Plugs and plug wires. This could be a wait and see, but I would just plan on replacing them.

ALL the other stuff - even valve adjustments - should go on the "wait and see" list. Adjusting the valves won't cause a siezed engine to turn, unless they are so far out that there is piston to valve contact being made (which would be bad).

Much appreciated-I'll update my progress in May.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.