Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New term that may be appropriate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
I learned a new term today, but if you have a military background you may be familiar with it.

It is "Mission Creep". From Wikipedia, Mission creep is the expansion of a project or mission beyond its original goals. The term often implies a certain disapproval of newly adopted goals by the user of the term. Mission creep is usually considered undesirable due to the dangerous path of each success breeding more ambitious attempts, only stopping when a final, often catastrophic, failure occurs. The term was originally applied exclusively to military operations, but has recently been applied to many different fields.

How appropriate, I thought, when a simple project such as "I'm just going to fill in the blank suddenly becomes a major undertaking rendering your car jackstand bound for an unexpected period of time. The effects of mission creep are seriously exaggerated by 1) underfunding/unrealistic budget projections, 2) procrastination and 3) unsubstantiated optimism.

At least now I know what to call this affliction...
smontanaro
See also Shipwright's Disease. sawzall-smiley.gif
Tom_T
AKA -

"Budget Creep" disease

"Project Scope Creep" disease

"While I'm in there...." disease

"I can always use one of these for..." disease

etc., etc., etc.

Many faces & many names, in many industries & undertakings! biggrin.gif
euro911
agree.gif oh, how fuching true
balljoint
DWD
moparrob
QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 3 2011, 03:43 PM) *

DWD

Hmmm. Let me guess:

Down Wit Dat?

Damn Wright Dude?

Disgusted with Delays?
Dr Evil
DWD = Dirk Wright's Disease

Another term is "Feature creep"

You never finish the project because you keep coming up with new things to do to it before it is done dry.gif No idea what that is like rolleyes.gif
Bleyseng
"Scope creep" is what I learned in school but here long ago it was DWD or Dirk Wright's Disease. Dirk was a real guy who bought a 914 and started a small repair to the petals then proceeded to disassemble the whole damn car "while he was in there" until it was completely apart, then sold it.
gothspeed
Some of these 'creep' events happen when a simple question is asked about .... say "should I hone my cylinders, re-ring it and run it?" which is obviously asked because the person wants to save money .......... AND get approval from the 'critical' members on the forum ............ BUT then ......

The question gets tons of responses like:

"'If you want it done right', you should run Nickies with ARP head studs" then

"while you are in there, you should really replace the through bolts with ARP other wise they will not match the new head studs" or something similar ...... then ....

"'You might as well' rebuild the heads because you cannot have good rings and used heads, or better yet get a set of new LE heads to match the Nickies"

"So you may as well rebuild the whole motor with all forged and titanium parts!!!"

"sure it is a lot of money, but you get what you pay for!" or "you gotta pay to play" or "people without money should not have these cars, because they are sooooo special" or "I would not do it like that!!" ...... or ....... " I would go to Germany and bring Ferdinand Porsche back from the dead and have him redesign this motor .... because it has tons of flaws" .............. etc ................. etc ............. laugh.gif
AndyB
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 4 2011, 09:01 AM) *

Some of these 'creep' events happen when a simple question is asked about .... say "should I hone my cylinders, re-ring it and run it?" which is obviously asked because the person wants to save money .......... AND get approval from the 'critical' members on the forum ............ BUT then ......

"while you are in there, you should really replace the through bolts with ARP other wise they will not match the new head studs" or something similar ...... then ....

"'You might as well' rebuild the heads because you cannot have good rings and used heads, or better yet get a set of new LE heads to match the Nickies"

"So you may as well rebuild the whole motor with all forged and titanium parts!!!"

"sure it is a lot of money, but you get what you pay for!" or "you gotta pay to play" or "people without money should not have these cars, because they are sooooo special" or "I would not do it like that!!" ...... or ....... " I would go to Germany and bring Ferdinand Porsche back from the dead and have him redesign this motor .... because it has tons of flaws" .............. etc ................. etc ............. laugh.gif

agree.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Mar 4 2011, 09:08 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 4 2011, 09:01 AM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif well versed smile.gif
balljoint
This is why we haven't heard from alpha434. He is rebuilding his entire car in Titanium.
ConeDodger
Spent lots of time in the military... Mission creep often occurs because of 'targets of opportunity' which is also appropriate here. I recently redid my dashboard area and replaced my windshield at the same time because it was a 'target of opportunity.' Having the windshield out made the dash easier and since I was taking the windsheild out, replacing it with new was well... biggrin.gif
moparrob
Perhaps I can start a local chapter of Mission Creep Anonymous.

"Hi, My name is Rob and I........." yellowsleep[1].gif
sww914
In aircraft they call it weight creep. Next thing you know your whole design is obsolete because the people involved after the design have added so much crap that the engine can't lift the plane anymore.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.