Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clow
I started rewiring my car over the last couple days. Here are the latest pictures I can't figure out

The car is a 1973 1.7 with rear defrost and it had a radio. Not sure about a console or not.
Good ol' winters. I try to get it to a toasty 10C in the garage but that hardly happens with the small heater.
Click to view attachment

The tach seamed straight forward and I used this diagram
IPB Image

Here is what isn't on the diagram
Click to view attachment

Also I have 2 different seat belt safety lights. What do I use?
IPB Image
IPB Image

Where do these go? On passenger side
IPB Image

I don't think this is factory correct but I am gussing the up down is for the headlights? And that the other one unmarked could be a rear defrost?
IPB Image

I know of the underseat relay but what about the wires to the left and right of it
IPB Image

Thanks for your help!

Clow
nsr-jamie
Hey looks good! Nice color !

Where abouts in Canada are you?

Not sure about the seat belt warning lights but one of them should plug into or under the seat area, looks like the wiring is still there.

You should also have a rear window defroster as well on your car next to the cig lighter. It looks like the past owner has added 2 toggle switches in there which are not stock and I am not sure of the function of them.

If your car is a 1.7 model than it would not have a center console and the optional gauges that came on the 2L cars....thought some people have converted or upgraded to this over the years.

Hope that helps a bit. You should get one of the Haynes manuals if you don't have it already
clow
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Mar 10 2011, 12:29 PM) *

Hey looks good! Nice color !

Where abouts in Canada are you?

Not sure about the seat belt warning lights but one of them should plug into or under the seat area, looks like the wiring is still there.

You should also have a rear window defroster as well on your car next to the cig lighter. It looks like the past owner has added 2 toggle switches in there which are not stock and I am not sure of the function of them.

If your car is a 1.7 model than it would not have a center console and the optional gauges that came on the 2L cars....thought some people have converted or upgraded to this over the years.

Hope that helps a bit. You should get one of the Haynes manuals if you don't have it already

I am in Brockville, Ontario. Off the 401 about an hour from Ottawa. Thanks for your help. I have heard a few mention this manual. I will defiantly look into one.
Cairo94507
Just a thought, did the car ever have an electric antenna? That could be up/down switch. And you already know the rear window defroster switch goes next to the lighter. Good luck.
clow
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 10 2011, 02:55 PM) *

Just a thought, did the car ever have an electric antenna? That could be up/down switch. And you already know the rear window defroster switch goes next to the lighter. Good luck.

Good call. I forgot all about that! It had one which I removed and filled the hole but that was months ago during the bodywork.

Thanks

Clow
type47
On the tach, the single hole at the "bottom" of the tach is the parking light indicator. The 2 at the top show a "piggy-back" connector that is not "factory". See if the piggy back connector is separate from the original wires. In the picture with the wires coming out of the central tunnel and kinda flopped into the passenger side, those are for the console. The switches to either side of the cigarette lighter are not factory. On the wires to the left and right of the seat belt warning stuff, the left are wires to the light at the top of the back pad and also related to the door switches. The one to the right is to the seat cushion seat belt warning system.
benalishhero
The empty spade connectors circled in blue and red respectively are for grounds.

edit: The ground wire comes from the instrument panel ground post(#11 on wiring diagram.)
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(clow @ Mar 10 2011, 12:16 PM) *
IPB Image

The single empty hole is for the light that shows you when your headlight switch is pulled out one stop. Therefore "parking lights".

The second lugs on the other bulbs are likely for ground wires. Some of the instrument lights will ground through the housing; those only have one lug for the sender wire. Other lights have two lugs, and do not ground through the housing. I'm guessing those two lights are the latter type.

Where do these go? On passenger side
IPB Image

The center console wiring harness would plug into those.

I know of the underseat relay but what about the wires to the left and right of it
IPB Image

Interior light up on the back pad. Verify the wire colors against the wiring diagram, though. One of them will always be "hot", so get them out of the way when you plug your battery back in.

Oh, whoops! I just realized you weren't talking about the loose wires to the left. I'm not sure of the other two connectors in with the big bundle going to the under-seat connector. Let me think for a bit...

--DD
clow
Thanks guys!

I have a solid weekend free so hopefully I can get it all finished up!
clow
Got a solid night on the wiring, came across another couple ends. I just wanted to say thanks for the help so far. I am 18 years old and took on this project myself. My friend is helping out the same age and its a HUGE learning experience for both of us. The only car experience I have had was working with my dad in the garage as a kid. He has gave a hand here and there but is busy with projects of his own. 90% of the work on the car is done by me with the help of my friend. I wouldn't be near what I have completed if it wasn't for 914World!

So the deal is the rear defrost is bothering me. Was this wired into the harness for all 914's? And the radio. Was it factory or dealer installed and were the wires in the harness or was it a do it yourself kinda deal? Thanks!

The wires on the left, big white, red, brown and yellow I believe. Source/location?
IPB Image

The red and red/yellow stripe wires almost go to the heating control in the dash. I am feeling defroster but I have no clue.
Click to view attachment
This one is tough, the PO was in there and put a connection from the red circle to the black circle. It goes from a red wire then crimmpled to a black wire. Was this a common jump people did the the fuse panel under the dash or is it for a radio and/or antenna.
Click to view attachment

thanks,

Parker
Dave_Darling
The under-the-seat stuff is probably the seatbelt light and the door-ajar buzzer.

The radios were either all or mostly dealer- and PO-installed. I don't know how the rear window defroster was wired.

The "red" wire next to the fuse panel looks to have a white stripe. That combination almost always means "switched power", or something that should be "hot" with the key on. The brown/yellow supplies ground for ... something, I forget what. The paired white wires may be for your headlight low-beams.

I don't know why someone would jumper the fuse panel like that. A number of the circuits on it are already connected to each other inside the board.

I strongly suggest checking the circuit diagrams (Pelican Parts has full-color ones on our website, see my sig for the link!) to cross-check wire colors.

--DD
swl
Certainly both the toggles are add ons. I've never seen any factory toggles - certainly not on a 73. The lighter is the only thing between the switch and air control on my cars.

That big loose bundle at the firewall is different from anything I've seen in my car - I have no idea what they are. I'm wondering if the PO might have had some sort of intrumentation package going and those wires connected to the control unit. Which way do they run? Back to the engine bay?

In that back area you will get the seatbelt connected wires, handbrake wire, backpad light, power and ground for the rear window. That's about it. Does your car have the ignition interlock relay? I thought they began in 74. My early 73 doesn't have it - haven't looked for it on the mid 73. 73 was an odd year for the 73 - changes were sort of phased in as they worked through the model year.

I have a parts car that is still very intact electrically. The interior is out of it so you can easily see most of the wiring. If you are ever down this way you are welcome to look and compare. She is tarped up for the winter but if you need help I can take a warm day and go out and check things for you.

There a guy in Brockville that goes under the name Freezing914. He has done some amazing rusteration work. He is not very active on the board just now but you might want to make contact with him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.