Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hell hole?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pauldunn
Where is this "Hell hole" every one keeps mentioning? is it under the battery?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I REALLY DO NOT LIKE "HELL" AND "914" STATED IN THE SAME SENTENCE OR BREATH! Let's change it to "battery area" instead. Have you EVER heard me say that phrase? NO!
The battery was in a great location for function and balance but a bad place for getting hot, rained upon and boiling over onto the frame. Even the most rust free 914 probably has problems in this area as no new car buyer was aware of the problem until it was too late

QUOTE(pauldunn @ Mar 10 2011, 03:08 PM) *

Where is this "Hell hole" every one keeps mentioning? is it under the battery?

Cupomeat
Ok, the "Battery Area from Hades" lol-2.gif is under the battery, where the frame meets the firewall and inner fender wall. You are correct.

happy11.gif

Just check out the rebuild threads and you'll see the work that has gone into rebuilding this area. It is usually an indicator of where you'd find the worst rust in a 914. Plus it is a very critical structural area.

Good luck and George, I agree that it is an unfortunate side affect of the engineering decision to place the battery in that area. Sometimes giving something a name, helps people to be less afraid of it. "Battery Area" won't stick as it is not interesting. "Battery Hole" might be ok?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
good man.

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Mar 10 2011, 03:24 PM) *

Ok, the "Battery Area from Hades" lol-2.gif is under the battery, where the frame meets the firewall and inner fender wall. You are correct.

happy11.gif

Just check out the rebuild threads and you'll see the work that has gone into rebuilding this area. It is usually an indicator of where you'd find the worst rust in a 914. Plus it is a very critical structural area.

Good luck and George, I agree that it is an unfortunate side affect of the engineering decision to place the battery in that area. Sometimes giving something a name, helps people to be less afraid of it. "Battery Area" won't stick as it is not interesting. "Battery Hole" might be ok?

jimkelly
it is this area and above and below ; )

and see this

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

windforfun
It's the engine compartment in general. It's hard to work in. If you remove the lid, IMHO, then this is no longer the case.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
that's not bad at all!

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 10 2011, 04:42 PM) *

it is this area and above and below ; )

and see this

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

Dave_Darling
I like "Hell Hole". It's a very descriptive phrase, and when you first start digging into a 914 that you "thought" and were "told" was "completely solid" to find the typical problems in there, you'll know why it is called that. wink.gif

--DD
markb
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 10 2011, 05:21 PM) *

I like "Hell Hole". It's a very descriptive phrase, and when you first start digging into a 914 that you "thought" and were "told" was "completely solid" to find the typical problems in there, you'll know why it is called that. wink.gif

--DD

agree.gif
sww914
How's "Hello Ho!"?
J P Stein
Here's a pic of the hell hole (TS, "dr."). On a stock car this area cannot be seen.....too much crap in the way....with a double jointed forearm it cam be felt tho. biggrin.gif

That trough formed by the fwd firewall, engine shelf, and inner fender collects shittage in a big way....including water and acid washed off the battery top......even with the so called drain clear. Gravity takes care of the rest.
Here in the NW, that is THE single biggest killer of 914s, IMO. I've prolly looked/felt(?) at 50 914s herebouts. Maybe a handful were solid(I bought one of those). The rest had sucking chest wounds in the top of the longitudinal. The opposite side is the same, but since no battery acid is present (and access is somwhat better) it holds up much better.
jimkelly
that is a nice one JP

here is mine
type47
I'll add a pic or 2
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.