Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 8.0 quake in japan!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Rand
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 11 2011, 08:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 11 2011, 07:41 PM) *
US peeps who bark at the "tidal wave" don't get it. The moronic ones take a case of beer to the beach to observe it. And yet they scoff at the lame party because it was nothing (by the time it got here).

I'm not sure if you a referring to my posts but if you do then you are the one who "doesn't get it". It's easy to point fingers when you live at 5000 feet ...

The lost lives are tragic but i don't know anyone in Japan. I don't have family or friends there.

What i do have is my own life and friends and property here on the west coast.
My house is less than 500 yards from the water. And a whopping 6 meters above sea level ...

When they issued a tsunami warning for the west coast, guess what i did? I packed all my important paperwork in a bag, grabbed the laptop, packed some cloths and food and waited for news from Hawaii to see how bad (or not) it was going to get for me.

When it became clear that we wouldn't get in trouble (at about 5 am this morning) i went to bed for two hours and then got up and drove to work. I was relieved that i didn't have to head for the hills, that my friends were safe, that my house is still standing.

Initially there was no way of knowing what was coming our way, so i prepared for the worst.
My earlier posts here were simply an expression of relief after a night of uncertainty.
shades.gif

Andy, oh hell no, I'm not referring to you. I have a loved one on the coast of Japan right now who is unaccounted for. If we need logical accountable responses, I suppose I'll have to catch up later as I'm numb right now.
Rand
Oh shit, Andy, I'm sorry bro, but there's a big misunderstanding. I'm just in the mode of the current tragedy in japan because I have loved ones who are likely dead in the tsunami.

I meant nothing more.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 11 2011, 09:14 PM) *
I'm just in the mode of the current tragedy in japan because I have loved ones who are likely dead in the tsunami.

I'm sorry to hear that. I sure hope you are wrong ... sad.gif

And sorry i picked on your post. I didn't get much sleep last night ... dry.gif
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 12 2011, 06:42 AM) *

Becky's son is on the coast between Otsuchi and the epicenter. We just pray he survived the quake and had enough warning to find higher ground because the Tsunami did massive destruction where he is.

I took off work to be with Becky today. We haven't heard anything from her son, nor can we reach him. Of course all services are down, so we don't know when to expect any word.

Is he on Facebook? Or maybe the Japanese version of facebook called MIXY? That is how lots of people are getting in touch right now with each other as phones are down, cell phones work on and off and some internet access working...see if he is on one of those social networking sites and hopefully he has left some kind of message. All the pay phones are free now even for international calls and they are setting up more around the hit areas so people can get in touch with relatives. The devistation is incredible. Its like a war zone. We are still having after shocks and now on the emergency tv they just posted another emergency tsunami tidal wave warning to get away from the shore immediately
Rand
I've been on the west coast side of this (US) before. In fact I was a dumb ass who heard there was a "tsunami" coming, so lets go to the beach with a keg and watch for it.

It's all funny on our coast because by the time that "tsunami" gets here it's a 4 foot wave. Yeah we all drunkenly laughed about the "tidal" wave.

I guess this is an awakening for me. Our "tidal wave" over here was five minutes off their shore and it caused destruction like we've never seen.
'73-914kid
My whole family's thoughts and prayers go out to you fellow 914 guys in Japan, and to everyone else who lives in Japan.

nsr-jamie
Hi Rand, I know you must be worried...no luck getting in touch with him. I have an idea, give me his cell or phone number and I will try to call him and see what happens...the phones are working on and off in the country...I can try to call several times and hope somehow to get through to him...I am in Japan so it might be easier to get through....PM me right away with his name and details and I will try from now..
nsr-jamie
Hi Rand, the government has set up emergency contact phone numbers here locally in Japan where people can call and leave and hear messages for relatives and friends.

The numbers are

03-5452-8800 (this is a Tokyo number)

050-3369-9960

050-3369-9680

If you are calling from overseas they may or may not work, you will have to delete the first zero in the number from each of them and add the country code for Japan ( 81 ) in front of it.

I am still here if you need some one to call your kid here. Our phones are working now, but its hard to get through on the cell phones...they are jammed but I can keep trying...get in touch with me right away if you need my help
Dominic
We just got power back up in northern Japan here in Misawa after a 32 hour power outage. The nuke power plant that supplies us is another hour north of me on the coast, so I doubt they suffered any damage. (about 5 hours north of Sendai). Heat is good biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
You guys may have missed it, but Google has fired up its "person finder" service for this event. Might want to avail yourselves of the opportunity.

The Cap'n
Rand
Thanks guys. He's ok!!!!
We did use the Google people finder, as well as the State Dept., and a few other resources.

They have an amazing tale. After they felt the quake, they knew to head for higher ground. One of the guys suggested they get to the hotel which was inland, but another guy who lives there said NO, we have to head for the mountain. GOOD thing! They immediately headed for the hills, and eight minutes later witnessed the destruction of Otsuchi.
messix
WOW! so happy for you!
championgt1
Good news Rand!
Rand
Scary to think they only had eight minutes to get to high ground and escape this. Here's a shot they took of Ostuchi...
Andyrew
Wow.
pktzygt
Happy to hear it. I'm waiting for the Navy to start asking for volunteers for a cleanup mission. I'd do it of they ask.
BuddyV
Hang in there, Jamie. Glad to hear you are OK.

I know it must be hard to worry so much about your country.

My family lost two in the recent gas pipe explosion in the Bay Area..... let us know if there is anything we can do to help make a difference in Japan. I am interested in helping.

Hope all of your family & friends are accounted for. \\Cheers.

Robert
KELTY360
That's such great news Rand! After the anguish, your sense of relief must be immense. Stunning picture. How far inland is that?
johannes
Water cooled is a bad technology ...

sad.gif

nsr-jamie
I am so happy and relieved to hear that Rand, thats great news!! He will have many stories to tell. Its just so bad and unfortunate about all the others who were unable to escape the tsumani waves...new video footage keeps comig out and its quite horrific at times.

The quake started off as 7.9 than upgraded to an 8.8 and now is classified as a 9.0. It was so large it could not be measured/

An entire town with 10,000 people is gone and no sign of the people, the death toll is going to be very high. This is truly tragic...I feel so sad and at times guilty that I am here fine while all those others are going through hell. sad.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(johannes @ Mar 13 2011, 01:37 AM) *

Water cooled is a bad technology ...

sad.gif

Think so, huh? Some of those reactors are about to become air-cooled, a much much worse technology.

I was in Tokyo on Saturday morning, just after the quake. Just changing planes, but half the airport had slept in sleeping bags on foam mattresses that night. A bus load of Silicon Valley tech guys trying to get home to San Francisco were on my flight to Houston, anything moving, just to to get out of town. We hadn't seen any of the photos then... so sad.
johannes
Situation is now very alarming on the reactors side ...

Here is a video from a channel I have subscribed.
This is Prof Poliakoff from University of Nottingham
Excellent Channel. Very informative ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bcrLiATLq0
Tom_T
Glad to hear so many have checked in okay, and our hopes & prayers go out for those still in question.

I've buried with other stuff & just now got caught up with emails, posts here, etc. - although I did what Sir Andy did, got everything ready in the Westy to head to higher ground, if the surge looked higher than predicted on the news from Ventura, which would give me 10-20 mins warning), since we're on low ground in the Santa Ana River valley & some of the Tsunami predictions in 04 & this time were 2-4x lower than predicted, & with unknowns of what the Catalina Island to mainland channel would do with the surge.

Those looking at the news for the Tsunami's away from the epicenter (& there) need to remember that it's more of a fast "tidal surge" than the tall "tidal wave" as seen in Phuket Thailand, etc. - with very strong eddies & currents unseen under the surface. It's much more deceiving to the eye & can be very destructive even 1000s of miles away, if added to a high tide. Just imagine adding 5-7' surge on top of the seasonal extra high tides in Seal Beach & other low lying areas on our wet coast. So those close to the coast were very wise to evacuate - better safe than sorry, and one of those keg & watch guys was lost at sea up in NoCal when 3-4 folks were washed out while watching the tide flow out before the surge.

With several towns near the epicenter washed away, this could prove to be as big a life loss as the `04 Indonesian quake/tsunami. Now they're dealing with the nuclear crisis on top of it all, which doesn't yet seem to be contained, let alone under control - plus aftershocks & the "aftermath crisis" of getting food, water, shelter & medical care to 100,000s of refugees in an area cut off by ground transportation.

9.0 & may get revised again higher as happened in `10 Chile, `04 Indonesia & Haiti (sensors close tend to be off & they recheck sensors around the globe to get the final magnitude); Japan Tsunami's up to 30-40+ feet in some locales (count the stories of buildings in the pix & videos then figure 10' - 12' or more per floor - some were very tall surges); 4 or more reactors & a spent fuel containment or more now in jeopardy; most road & train infrastructure in the northern region is out of commission - much of it permanently (i.e.: it will have to be torn out & rebuilt before use); rescue & aid services stretched beyond their limits & capabilities! This is very serious stuff that just keeps getting worse! sad.gif

You've got to admire their calm, working together, & no disorder over there. Heck, here in the USA there would probably be full scale looting, brawls in the lines, etc. - so you also have to admire those strong & cohesive people over there who just work together to help the whole community regardless of self sacrifice! smile.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Keep them all in your thoughts & prayers, as well as those further away affected by this catastrophe.

Tom
///////

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.