bad!!!!
KELTY360
Very bad. Upgraded to 8.9.
messix
devastating!!!
silver74insocal
hope nsr jamie is ok sad.gif
messix
the after shocks are brutal http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/rec...s/10/140_35.php
johannes
Oh shit ! ... sad.gif

SirAndy
US West coast is now under a tsunami warning!

They expect it to hit the SF bay area around 8 am.

Let's hope it's nothing more than a tall wave by the time it gets here ...
blink.gif
johannes
Looks very bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZmUEGpMHY4
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Mar 11 2011, 01:28 AM) *

agree.gif
He just contactedme a couple of days ago to alert me of a package he sent me, sure hope he is safe!
tdgray
Should know about the waves in a few minutes in Hawaii... hope everyone is getting up and alert on the left coast... stay safe guys sad.gif
dwillouby
I was to arrive in Tokyo Mon night. Dont know if I can now?
David
rick 918-S
I've been to Brianf house in Half Moon Bay. He's pretty close to the ocean! Fox News just announced the report is the worse of the impact is expected to be near Crecent City. Half Moon Bay is like 40 miles south of there.
Krieger
Not that this is any better, but Crescent City at least 250 miles south.

edit: Half Moon Bay is at least 250 miles to the south of Crescent City
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 11 2011, 07:39 AM) *

Duh, 381 miles on my map not 38 miles... screwy.gif Too early...Need more coffee. coffee.gif
jim_hoyland
YIKES ! I'm in the watch area for now. We're supposed to see first wave at 8:30 am PT
tradisrad
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 11 2011, 06:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 11 2011, 07:39 AM) *

Duh, 381 miles on my map not 38 miles... screwy.gif Too early...Need more coffee. coffee.gif

I'm 3.8 miles from HMB, but we are safe if anything happens. It is enough to make me go fill my gas tank before work....

I hope Jamie is ok.
76-914
God bless NCR; your in our thoughts and prayers.
anderssj
"Dominic" (Dom Cilia) and his family are at Misawa AB, around 100 mi north of the epicenter--hope they're all OK too.

Steve A-
jaxdream
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Mar 10 2011, 11:28 PM) *

My thoughts also , but it will probably be days before any kind of communications gets out of there because of the emergency communications needed. Hopefully we hear from him soon.

Jack / Jaxdream
Cap'n Krusty
I sent Jamie an e-mail this morning, but it may be a while before he has service or the time to respond. Our prayers are with him and everyone else in the area. On the map, it looks like he's pretty far south and 20km or so from the coast.

The Cap'n
jsayre914
Jamie I hope you and your 914 are on higher ground

Absolutly terrible news sad.gif
race914
We are evacuated...

Talk about being a sitting duck. Got our fingers crossed

Click to view attachment

jsayre914
I googled nsr-jamie vs the quake. The red circle is jamie and the yellow circle is the epicenter. All the carnage i am reading about is in the northeast mostly, notated with the blue baloons.

popcorn[1].gif
JRust
Damn that is some scary video of the water rolling in. My prayer go out to anyone affected. Nothing much happened here on the Oregon coast so far.
nsr-jamie
Hi people, I am alright. Thank you and sorry to make everyone worry. We are fine, I am quite far from the center but the quake was so huge it was even scary here. That was the biggest quake I have felt ever and I am like 500kms away. Things were shaking at work, and it was very long. Everybody ran outside and than we turned on the news and all the TV programs were cancellend and the emergency TV came on. The tidals waves made it to my parts but were around 70cm in height and people evactuated.....its just terrible and devistating to see all those homes sweeped away by the tidal waves...its going to take a long time for Japan to recover from this but we will. My heart goes out to all those in the Northern part of Japan.
jsayre914
glad to hear your OK beerchug.gif
AndyB
Glad your ok Jamie smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(race914 @ Mar 11 2011, 09:28 AM) *

We are evacuated...

Click to view attachment

Be glad! If it hits the Oceano (Pismo) dunes, it'll wipe out half the redneck drunken RV drivin' population of Bakersfield and Fresno .........................

The Cap'n
pt_700
not to make light of a tragic situation but, anyone else notice nsr-jamie's "i'm ok" post was # 666?

glad to hear you're ok. our thought are with japan today.
johannes
Glad you are OK... Those videos look scary ... and now fires ...
rick 918-S
Just heard from Brianf, No big deal in Half Moon Bay.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 11 2011, 11:59 AM) *
Just heard from Brianf, No big deal in Half Moon Bay.

Yeah, the swell here was supposed to be about 3 feet but it hit during low tide so it didn't really have any impact ...

shades.gif

PS: I just went and looked up the altitude of my house and it's only 6 meters above sea level ... wacko.gif
Drums66
......Not cool!....really messed up for them sad.gif
they're in my prayer's pray.gif( La Jolla had 3 ft waves)
montoya 73 2.0
I was up watching tv when the news break came through about Charlie Sheens house being raided by the police. It was about 3 or 4 minutes into that when another news break came in about Japan. Those videos were bad! Thats alot of water coming at you for a long time.

My wife asked me if we were okay, I had to explain that we are at 4300 feet above sea level and if the Tsunami got to us, the water is the least of our problems!

Glad to see a majority of us if not all are well, but it's going to be pretty bad for the next few weeks! Got to count your blessings!
Rand
Becky's son is on the coast between Otsuchi and the epicenter. We just pray he survived the quake and had enough warning to find higher ground because the Tsunami did massive destruction where he is.

I took off work to be with Becky today. We haven't heard anything from her son, nor can we reach him. Of course all services are down, so we don't know when to expect any word.
messix
Uu I
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 11 2011, 01:42 PM) *

Becky's son is on the coast between Otsuchi and the epicenter. We just pray he survived the quake and had enough warning to find higher ground because the Tsunami did massive destruction where he is.

I took off work to be with Becky today. We haven't heard anything from her son, nor can we reach him. Of course all services are down, so we don't know when to expect any word.

Praying with you rand.
messix
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Mar 11 2011, 10:33 AM) *

Hi people, I am alright. Thank you and sorry to make everyone worry. We are fine, I am quite far from the center but the quake was so huge it was even scary here. That was the biggest quake I have felt ever and I am like 500kms away. Things were shaking at work, and it was very long. Everybody ran outside and than we turned on the news and all the TV programs were cancellend and the emergency TV came on. The tidals waves made it to my parts but were around 70cm in height and people evactuated.....its just terrible and devistating to see all those homes sweeped away by the tidal waves...its going to take a long time for Japan to recover from this but we will. My heart goes out to all those in the Northern part of Japan.

Thanks for letting us know you're ok, i'm sure that you will have your hands full for a while. Fill us in when you can, if we can help in any way let us know.
jimkelly
my wife's friend wrote this.

Re: hi - is everyone ok? - jim

"hi Jimmy, we are alright. Thank you.(I'm in Urayasu,Chiba.)Water and Gass are stopped.Electoric power is ok."
messix
whole cities have been washed away or have been sunk do to soil liquefaction.
PanelBilly
I'm thinking it time for us to put our heads together and come up with a way to help some people out. We'll need your help Jamie as our closest contact to the people in need
Dominic
Hello all, I'm checking in from Northern Japan (Misawa) about 200 miles north of the epicenter down near Sendai. We are all fine up here in Misawa. We are just without power on and off base. We have clean running water and a gas stove off base that works well, hope to have power by the end of the weekend. I'm writing this from work, where I can see the news and have good internet connection :-)
We were shook pretty good, but all is fine. 200 miles south of us is where they took the brunt of it, please pray for those folks!

race914
QUOTE(race914 @ Mar 11 2011, 09:28 AM) *

We are evacuated...

Click to view attachment

The tidal surge was over 6ft in the Pismo Beach area, but luckily it occurred at low tide. No damage here, the evacuations are over.
SirAndy
Not much left after crossing the pacific, here's what's left of it rolling into the Oakland/Emeryville bay this morning.

About 3 feet high at low tide, so nothing got actually flooded ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMDCLwblkY
racerbvd
Glad you are OK, I pose your message on the BMX board.
chuckc
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Mar 11 2011, 01:33 PM) *

Glad to hear you're OK.l was praying for you.
Dave_Darling
Evidently some of the harbors (like in the Santa Cruz area) got pretty beat up, with a bunch of boats sunk and many more torn loose from their moorings and/or damaged.

Which is absolutely nothing when compared to what happened in Japan, of course.

--DD
Rand
Still no word from Becky's son. We are hoping he made it to Otsuchi which is more protected, a little north of the epicenter. Even there, the swell destroyed much.
Rand
Santa Cruz, Crescent City.... Pshhh....
I know there's a spot in NorCal that is the most vulnerable from events like this because of its geographical oceanic situation. And they get many hours notice. But....
Um, Japan northern shore had 5-10 minutes from earthquake to devastating Tsunami. That's a pretty damn tight timeline to expect your people to react and find safety. Obviously many couldn't.
US peeps who bark at the "tidal wave" don't get it. The moronic ones take a case of beer to the beach to observe it. And yet they scoff at the lame party because it was nothing (by the time it got here).

At Sendai, if you were anywhere near the coast, no amount of genius could have saved you. Earthquake 9, a few minutes later everything on the coast destroyed.

You live there, hear the siren, before you can get your teener out of the driveway it's floating past the rooftop of your neighbor's apartment complex.

I say Japan needs to just pick up and move. Haha. If I can crack humor in this mood. Oy.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 11 2011, 07:41 PM) *
US peeps who bark at the "tidal wave" don't get it. The moronic ones take a case of beer to the beach to observe it. And yet they scoff at the lame party because it was nothing (by the time it got here).

I'm not sure if you a referring to my posts but if you do then you are the one who "doesn't get it". It's easy to point fingers when you live at 5000 feet ...

The lost lives are tragic but i don't know anyone in Japan. I don't have family or friends there.

What i do have is my own life and friends and property here on the west coast.
My house is less than 500 yards from the water. And a whopping 6 meters above sea level ...

When they issued a tsunami warning for the west coast, guess what i did? I packed all my important paperwork in a bag, grabbed the laptop, packed some cloths and food and waited for news from Hawaii to see how bad (or not) it was going to get for me.

When it became clear that we wouldn't get in trouble (at about 5 am this morning) i went to bed for two hours and then got up and drove to work. I was relieved that i didn't have to head for the hills, that my friends were safe, that my house is still standing.

Initially there was no way of knowing what was coming our way, so i prepared for the worst.
My earlier posts here were simply an expression of relief after a night of uncertainty.
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.