Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What spark plugs do you guy prefer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
What have you found to work well in your 2.0 injected engine?
underthetire
Ngk b6 something or other
rick 918-S
I usually buy Bosch but I haven't had an air cooled engine on the road for several years.
Drums66
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 11 2011, 12:08 PM) *

Ngk b6 something or other

.......Yeah those & something or other Bosch idea.gif poke.gif
bye1.gif smoke.gif
Cap'n Krusty
NGK B6ES or Bosch W7CC.

The Cap'n
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 11 2011, 02:59 PM) *

NGK B6ES or Bosch W7CC.

The Cap'n

Thanks Cap'n If both perform equally I run the Bosch.
Jeffs9146
I have always gotten the best results with the BP6ES & BP7ES NGK's! If my car is running a bit rich I use the 7's!

Edit: Sorry your right 7's under normal and 6's if running rich! All I know is what has worked on my car!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 11 2011, 06:34 PM) *

I have always gotten the best results with the BP6ES & BP7ES NGK's! If my car is running a bit rich I use the 7's!

The 7 is too cold for your engine, especially if: (A) It's running rich, and (B) You're using oxygenated fuels. And you are. You'd probably be better off running 5s. Besides all that, you're running extended tip plugs, which weren't installed in 911s until sometime around 1980, IIRC.

The Cap'n
underthetire
Where to find non platinum bosch's though?
SLITS
Bosch Copper is my choice for both /4 & /6. NGK is next in line,
hot_shoe914
I have had much better results with the NGKs, Bosch just isn't what it used to be since they changed them.
JFJ914
NGK B6ES or BOSCH W7CC. Collective wisdom ( the Cap't IIRC) sez use the NGK's
CG-914
BOSCH
underthetire
My question remains, were to get Bosch non platinums?
sww914
GPR
underthetire
QUOTE(sww914 @ Mar 12 2011, 10:06 AM) *

GPR

Thank you. I need to order some gaskets from them. The last set I got from pmb were platinum, had trouble finding the old coppers.
Gint
I've been using NGK's for over 25 years. Including all of my 914's, fours and sixes. I've heard more than one person in the last ten years tell me about Bosch plugs they bought that were bad out of the box.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 12 2011, 08:01 PM) *

I've been using NGK's for over 25 years. Including all of my 914's, fours and sixes. I've heard more than one person in the last ten years tell me about Bosch plugs they bought that were bad out of the box.

idea.gif
Cap'n Krusty
FLAPs sell plats because the profit margin is far higher and the co-op advertising is huge. I use NGKs because the heat range is wider.

The Cap'n
avidfanjpl
Help me solve something related to my Bosch plugs.

This is a totally stock 73 2.0L Djet.

It is running lean. Plugs look cold and light beige.

Joe Sharp said I was too lean. How do I pick a better plug or make it run less lean?

At first years ago I was blackening the plugs, but then timing and a new harness from from Jeff B seems to make it run lean.

is there something else to do besides plugs?

I am pretty sure timing is spot on at 27BTDC at 3300 rpm. Checked it 3 times.

Thanks!

John
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 11 2011, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 11 2011, 02:59 PM) *

NGK B6ES or Bosch W7CC.

The Cap'n

Thanks Cap'n If both perform equally I run the Bosch.

I suggest you buy two or three sets and have them on hand.
They are getting hard to get at the local store nowadays...just have them sell you a few sets.
I replace them often..

Rich
underthetire
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Mar 12 2011, 11:17 PM) *

Help me solve something related to my Bosch plugs.

This is a totally stock 73 2.0L Djet.

It is running lean. Plugs look cold and light beige.

Joe Sharp said I was too lean. How do I pick a better plug or make it run less lean?

At first years ago I was blackening the plugs, but then timing and a new harness from from Jeff B seems to make it run lean.

is there something else to do besides plugs?

I am pretty sure timing is spot on at 27BTDC at 3300 rpm. Checked it 3 times.

Thanks!

John

Plugs ain't gonna help a lean condition. Check your fuel pressure first. You can unplug the air temp sensor on the plenum to richen things up. There are also a bunch of other settings that can affect it.
avidfanjpl
Air temp sensor. EASY and Interesting!

Will try it tomorrow and take a drive.

Thanks!

John
Bazza
Gang,

I've finally gotten around to new plugs, which hadn't been touched since I bought her a few years ago.

Here's how the old Bosch WR7CC's looked - a little rich I'd say.

Click to view attachment

So I picked up a new set of NGK BP6ES, which should run a bit hotter and help with that rich condition, I hope.

They had them "in stock" at the FLAPS. smile.gif

I'll let you know how they work out.

Cheers,
Baz
avidfanjpl
Bosch plugs gapped to 027, I believe. They run nice and light beige.

I change them every other oil change.

John

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 11 2011, 01:07 PM) *

What have you found to work well in your 2.0 injected engine?

Bazza
Everything went smooth on the change-out. Plugs were VERY easy to access - unlike the other Porsches!

Car runs GREAT! Not sure if I can tell any seat of the pants difference but down the road when I take them out I guess I'll be able to compare with the old Bosch's.

2.0 power baby!!! w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.