Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strippers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete
What's the best paint stripper? I've tried POR-Strip. Not impressed. Any special techniques?
messix
cheap ones with low self esteem and no morals......
iamchappy
I've had good luck with aircraft stripper. and also ones with low self esteem and were amoral....
pete
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 12 2011, 09:41 PM) *

Ha! Seriously, I'm trying to strip the paint and some rubber substance out of the engine bay and the POR-Strip I bought isn't doing much. How long should I leave it on before scraping?
messix
give the cheap strippers some sand paper duh! happy11.gif lol-2.gif
URY914
Young and dumb. Working thier way thru law school.
pktzygt
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 12 2011, 10:00 PM) *

give the cheap strippers some sand paper duh! happy11.gif lol-2.gif

Or a soda blaster.

There are too many of us dirty-minded guys on this forum.

But seriously, I have an eastwoods soda/abrasive blaster. You need to have a decent compressor, but it was cheap and I think cleaning up with a vacuum is much better than whatever you have to use to get the stripper out of your car after the deed is done.

I tried to be serious.
underthetire
Ones with daddy issues are perfect for me. jabsco gold. Need to add some acid to it to really kick it in hi gear. I'd have to ask my dad, since he did the whole thunderbird with the stuff.
Lou W
Use a brush and apply one direction only.
markb
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 12 2011, 06:51 PM) *

I've had good luck with aircraft stripper. and also ones with low self esteem and were amoral....

agree.gif biggrin.gif
bandjoey
Aircraft from Home Depot works great. It also helps to dress in a feather boa while scraping. av-943.gif
iamchappy
And very important, dont forget, wear protection...
IronHillRestorations
I'll 3rd the aircraft stripper, paint it on with one brush stroke and no 2nd brushing, cover with clear plastic while still wet, let sit for an hour or more.
914itis
QUOTE(Lou W @ Mar 12 2011, 10:23 PM) *

Use a brush and apply one direction only.

agree.gif Use a wire metal brush. i just used it on my rims and worked like magic.
pete
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 12 2011, 10:28 PM) *

Aircraft from Home Depot works great. It also helps to dress in a feather boa while scraping. av-943.gif

I don't think I've seen Aircraft at HD. I left the POR-Strip on over night and nothing. Looks like just another layer of crap to strip off now. Does anyone know if temperature has anything to do with it? Its only 45 degrees in the garage.
rick 918-S
Aircraft stripper. If your having trouble Sand with 80 grit first to break the gloss. Working in a tight place like engine bays Wear full eye, face and arm protection. Use in a very well ventelated area. The fumes will over power you. If you can't work outsde or have a fan running blowning fresh air at you wait until you can. Not that I would ever go to a strip joint but if I did I would have a real weakness for the blonde with the brazilian.
wrightee
Advice given to me for both strippers and 914 restoration candidates: "Start with a Good Body!"

McMark
You shouldn't let paint stripper dry. If you left the POR-Strip on overnight, it's dried out and re-adhered. I like Aircraft (as mentioned), but you can't paint it on and walk away. You have to scrape it while it's still wet.
roadster fan
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 12 2011, 07:41 PM) *

av-943.gif Troy you need to stay out of the inside of my brain!

Jim
messix
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Mar 13 2011, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Mar 12 2011, 07:41 PM) *

av-943.gif Troy you need to stay out of the inside of my brain!

Jim

now thats disturbing blink.gif
914itis
QUOTE(pete @ Mar 13 2011, 09:32 AM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 12 2011, 10:28 PM) *

I don't think I've seen Aircraft at HD. I left the POR-Strip on over night and nothing. Looks like just another layer of crap to strip off now. Does anyone know if temperature has anything to do with it? Its only 45 degrees in the garage.

I got it at autozone
stugray
I use the JASCO and it works well.

I put some on a car door to fix a repair years ago.
I sat down to drink a beer and wait while wondering how much work it would be to scrape it off.

The paint began to sag, and the whole sheet of paint slid right off the door down to bare metal :-0

That was over 20 years ago, and I have used JASCO since and it doesnt seems quite as potent.
Maybe environmental concerns have made them tone down their recipe a bit.

However I did put in the back of my brain a perfect way to get back at someone who drives like a dick........ ( Paint 'drives like a dick' on their door with JASCO).

Stu
r_towle
if you have tough spots that wont come loose, paint on the stripper and then lay saran wrap over the area to trap in the gases.
this increases the power of the stipper.

Rich
pete
Thanks for the info everyone. So to recap, I need to find the right stripper, use protection, and drink beer while using the stripper.
Woody
And use saran wrap because it increases their power.
flipb
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 14 2011, 12:55 AM) *

if you have tough spots that wont come loose, paint on the stripper and then lay saran wrap over the area to trap in the gases.
this increases the power of the stipper.

Rich

Good God, man! Rather than trapping the gasses, just stop getting strippers who have gas issues!

happy11.gif

IronHillRestorations
Oh and a big stack of $1 bills too.
messix
you don't need the $1 bills unless you "go" to a strip joint.... the point here is to do the stripping at home!

and using saran wrap on a stripper is just asking for trouble.... a couple of layers of good quality latex is the only approved method!

and you must be very careful of what kind of crude is lurking in the nook and crannies... inspect very carefully and clean or neutralize any suspicious conditions before proceding further.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.