Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strut Inserts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Philw
Hello again from the UK, I now have my '74 2:0 litre back from having the hell hole and associated problems repaired and am about to embark on the reassmbly and return to the road after 8 long years.... On my long list of "to do's" is the fact that the 5 stud front set up that I swapped to (this was the original reason for the 914 being taken off the road 8 years ago).... is not sitting quite right in that there is more threaded strut showing above the cup and lock nut in the luggage compartment than there was with the "old" 914 set up. It is so bad that the lid can't close properly as the tips of the strut make contact with the bonnet. I was told the struts were from a '73 911S but then do they "all say that"??!!! the rotor is vented and the strut is red. If you guys are still with me my questions are as follows:

Can the strut be adjusted so the threaded section is wound into the strut allowing the proper clearance?

If not do I need to swap the insert for a 914 insert?

How can I identify which model of 911 the strut assembly is from?

Thanks in advance for your help, if neccesary I'll take some pictures to help. I am sure I'll be back along lots more with questions as I try to get the old Texan girl rolling again....

Phil

jaxdream
Are the struts Boge , Koni , Bilsteins ?? There are numbers on the strut housings that denote the area of model year. Do they have a 3.0 inch or 3.5 inch caliper bolt spacing ? There was a thread a week or so back about the same problem you are having that the insert threaded end stood too proud for the trunck lid to close . It was mentioned that the struts could be unbolted , dropped down and spacers or washers placed on top of where the strut mounts into the mount bolted to the fender / wheel well .This will fix that for you . You could pull the insert from the housing and check the numbers on them to give you some idea of what inserts you have as far as 911 valving . If they are Boge type with internal threads 914 inserts may fit as well giving a closer valving action to the front weight of a 914. There are others that may chime in that are far more experienced at this than I . Good luck .

Jack / Jaxdream
Cap'n Krusty
Before I spent a lot of time figuring out how to modify things, I'd look at the parts book and make sure I had all the bits and pieces installed. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.