Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transmission inspection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
Is there a way for a novice to open some part of a sideshift transmission to inspect for defects without taking the while thing appart? I guest Dr Evil will shine in..
Jeffs9146
Yes but you will need a gasket!

Remove the tail cone and inspect the first gear teeth and syncro. Those tend to fail first and will give you a fair indication of the over all condition of the trans!
914itis
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 15 2011, 02:59 PM) *

Yes but you will need a gasket!

Remove the tail cone and inspect the first gear teeth and syncro. Those tend to fail first and will give you a fair indication of the over all condition of the trans!

Do I need tp drain the oil and what type and quantity to use for refill ?
McMark
Yes you have to drain it. I like Swepco (available from GPR).
dion9146
QUOTE(ppetion @ Mar 15 2011, 02:48 PM) *

Is there a way for a novice to open some part of a sideshift transmission to inspect for defects without taking the while thing appart? I guest Dr Evil will shine in..

I think it depends on what kind of defects that you think you are looking for. Pulling the tail cone will show you first/reverse. Chances are, your syncro is bad, or the dogteeth have seen better days. But if you are suspecting any other issues like other sycros or problems with 2-5, you will need to slide out the gear stack. Again, not a big issues but it is a little more involved.

Look at some of the classic threads for lots of great pictures. My first experience as a 'novice' was completely dismantling a spare transmission so I could see how it worked. Then I rebuilt my good transmission, and with the help of some of the classic threads, it turned out great.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=18128

Dion
jimkelly
what are your symptoms?
914itis
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 15 2011, 07:13 PM) *

what are your symptoms?

No symptoms I just got it from a member here, the car was sitting. He does Nit know the history. He shifts it without the car moving and he says it feels good. I currently bbe a ti shift and I will be using it to convert to side. I just would like to take a look t it before doing the conversion. Any toughta and ideas are welcome.
jimkelly
look at this
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=18128 target=

examples of - syncro rings - dogteeth - sliders
Dr Evil
Pull the stack
r_towle
You could get a bore scope from home depot (I need a good excuse to get one of these)..
It might fit inside the shifter console hole to allow you to look at the sliders...

Rich
Dr Evil
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 15 2011, 10:47 PM) *

You could get a bore scope from home depot (I need a good excuse to get one of these)..
It might fit inside the shifter console hole to allow you to look at the sliders...

Rich

Or you could take it to a hospital and CT it, or you could just pull the stack and have ll the answers for next to no cost :rolleyesL
914itis
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 19 2011, 12:24 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 15 2011, 10:47 PM) *

Rich

Or you could take it to a hospital and CT it, or you could just pull the stack and have ll the answers for next to no cost :rolleyesL

I decided not to open it I am putting it in the cr as we are speaking. Of something is wrong I will take a drive to drop it off your way. BTW what kind of oil you recommend puttingbin there and how do I know when its full ?
Dr Evil
Click on my 31 pages of notes link in my sig. It goes over oil, filling should be done after you remove the fill plug FIRST. Then, you remove the drain plug and fill it until it runs out of the fill plug hole.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.