Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Costly transmission issues - what should I do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
Well, my guy opened up my 901 tranny - I gots issues. With rough prices (he's going to call me back)

1st gear slider ($470)
1st gear mesh teeth ($340)
2nd gear mesh teeth ($274)
1 main shaft ball bearing ($220)
Synchros for all gears ($100 each)

That majorly adds up. Any thoughts? Do I suck it up and pay for it, or are there better alternatives? It would be cheaper to convert to a 915 trans when I do my 3.0L conversion, but no idea of the state of the internals on that trans.
914itis
QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 16 2011, 10:41 AM) *

Well, my guy opened up my 901 tranny - I gots issues. With rough prices (he's going to call me back)

1st gear slider ($470)

That majorly adds up. Any thoughts? Do I suck it up and pay for it, or are there better alternatives? It would be cheaper to convert to a 915 trans when I do my 3.0L conversion, but no idea of the state of the internals on that trans.

my .002 $600 will get you close to buy you gas, pay for tolls and cover the cost for Dr. Evil's clinics, that includes parts i think. you meet some great guys, have fun ,learn and save $1000 bucks.
patssle
Yeah but would still need parts. Unless evil is giving away sliders at next to nothing!

He gave me a final quote of $2500 total. I think I'm going to suck it up and pay - it'll be a long lasting tranny. Unless any last thoughts to the otherwise?
patssle
Sure, my guy mentioned it too. I saw some fully rebuilt trans going for $2000. But on the used ones, I could encounter the same problem. Same with going with the 915 instead, but no clue on what's inside waiting.

I sucked it up and going for the full rebuild. It'll last me a long time, so money well spent. At least I'll tell myself that!
Root_Werks
Get a used 901, keep your old one for parts (the ones that are good) and driving.gif
windforfun
Go for it. Use your CC if you have to.
mepstein
QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 16 2011, 10:41 AM) *

1st gear slider ($470)

Do you need 1st for your 6 conversion? - I bought a used side shift trans for $50. 1st gear was toast but we did a 1st gear delete for the 3.2 conversion anyway so total cost was $500 + ~80 for some parts that the Evil one replaced. I added a flipped H gear for a taller 5th gear and a 901 intermediate plate for the linkage boss but that is optional.
bondo
You could save some $ by using serviceable used parts. The 2-5 syncros and sliders are all the same, and the 4-5 stuff is usually in good shape in a used trans. You'll need a dog tooth puller if you want to salvage those. (I borrowed one) A used trans in unknown condition can be had for around $50-75 if you look around (tail/side shift, doesn't matter for the gears). Of course it could all be thrashed, but they usually aren't. You might even luck out and get a good bearing.

Forget about finding good used 1st gear parts from a mystery used trans... never seen it. (the syncro band is the same as 2-5 though, but that's it... even the dog teeth are different)
GeorgeRud
A 915 would be nice with a 3.2, but I'd figure $4000 minimum for one thats been converted and freshened.
JRust
QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 16 2011, 07:41 AM) *

1st gear slider ($470)

Just have Dr Evil build it for you. Probably run half that. Or go to one of his clinics. Yes he willl use used parts but good ones. You won't have a problem with his rebuilt tranny. It will just cost you alot less
bandjoey
Dr Evil is the Expert. Find his vendor link and download ?70 pages of rebuild info. Buy his DVD and do it yourself. Read his info on one of the clinic dates. There's info there about parts.

There are people in your area that can help I'll bet. Good luck
Richard Casto
QUOTE(bondo @ Mar 16 2011, 02:43 PM) *

You could save some $ by using serviceable used parts. The 2-5 syncros and sliders are all the same, and the 4-5 stuff is usually in good shape in a used trans. You'll need a dog tooth puller if you want to salvage those. (I borrowed one) A used trans in unknown condition can be had for around $50-75 if you look around (tail/side shift, doesn't matter for the gears). Of course it could all be thrashed, but they usually aren't. You might even luck out and get a good bearing.

Forget about finding good used 1st gear parts from a mystery used trans... never seen it. (the syncro band is the same as 2-5 though, but that's it... even the dog teeth are different)

agree.gif

You can do a rebuild for much less if you are on a budget and you are also strategic with respect to the balance of new vs. used parts. For example I think use synchro hubs (aka dog teeth) can be an excellent value. If you have the budget, maybe a new first gear slider might not be a bad thing. Used examples that are in good condition are getting more rare. Same goes for synchro rings (some people call them synchro bands). For example if your budget allows you might put new ones on 1st and 2nd and the use good used examples on 3rd, 4th and 5th. It all depends upon your budget and what you expect to get when you are done.

Richard
r_towle
parts cost what they cost if you are going new.
If you do it right, it will last your lifetime.

RIch
Dr Evil
Thanks for all the accolades, folks smile.gif

I have used parts and rebuild boxes for far less than retail ALL THE TIME.

I have good used 1st sliders for a lot less. These are hard to come by. Parts boxes typically do not have good ones.

Let me know if I can help.
Spoke
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 17 2011, 08:41 PM) *

I have good used 1st sliders for a lot less. These are hard to come by. Parts boxes typically do not have good ones.

Send it to the Doctor.

He rebuilt my trans from parts in his parts bin and the trans is like new. He knows what he's doing and won't steer you wrong.

Save your cash, put the trans in a box and send it to PA to let the Doctor fix it.
914itis
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 17 2011, 09:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 17 2011, 08:41 PM) *

Send it to the Doctor.

He rebuilt my trans from parts in his parts bin and the trans is like new. He knows what he's doing and won't steer you wrong.

Save your cash, put the trans in a box and send it to PA to let the Doctor fix it.

I think he already gave the shop his credit card, oh well we tried chair.gif
Dr Evil
That is where the shops get you. Labor Cost can be equal to what I charge, but they will not have good used stock and new is vastly expensive.

Buy some used and bring it to them. If they will not use it, send me the parts and I will help you put it back together.
Dr Evil
Btw, the prices of those teeth are way too high. If you must have new, pm me and I can get you whole sale.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.