Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5-lug Conversion from 72 911T
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
I'm picking up this suspension from a 72 911T for my 5-lug conversion.

For the front, I need just the uprights/hubs/rotors/calipers.

For the rear, I would like to use at least the hub. I've heard the spline is different than the 914 half shaft. What do I have to do to use the hub?

What about the vented rotor? The rear calipers are gone. I can use spacers on my existing 914 calipers. Is it worth it to use vented rotors on the rear. If I decide to stay with solid rotor, do I order 914/6 rotors?

Thanks in advance.
Andyrew
You probably have to machine spacers for the rear calipers, but be sure to use longer, proper grade, bolts. This is what I run on the rear of my car with vented rotors. Works great.
Eric_Shea
but be sure to use longer, proper grade, bolts. This is what I run on the rear of my car with vented rotors. Works great.

Where did you get the fasteners?

What do I have to do to use the hub?

Ahhh. you got the bargin suspension. Good work. Someone was asking about it but...

You have all of the parts... all you need are axles (and maybe tranny flanges):

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91963

If I decide to stay with solid rotor, do I order 914/6 rotors?

Yes... then have them milled by 4mm in total diameter. With the price of -6 rotors right now, it's cheaper to buy -4 rotors and have them machined to 5x130 (you would have to machine both if you stuck with stock -4 calipers).
Andyrew
Eric, They came on my calipers. Bought them as a used setup.
Spoke
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 16 2011, 03:07 PM) *

Ahhh. you got the bargin suspension. Good work. Someone was asking about it but...

You have all of the parts... all you need are axles (and maybe tranny flanges):

So I need new axles and 911 tranny flanges? I guess the 911 stub will not fit into a 914 CV?
Eric_Shea
Not sure why you would want a 914 CV when you have those bad boys staring you in the face... huh.gif

The cheapest way to go 5-lug is to sell all that stuff to Enrique (I see him lurking here) and get some modififed -4 hubs and pocket the change.

The best way would be to keep that stuff and grab some Sway-a-Way axles for $308.00 and see if the guy you bought it all from still has the tranny flanges. Bullet - Proof. If you sell the arms (front and rear) and various other goodies, it could help pay for the axles.
Spoke
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 16 2011, 11:07 PM) *

Not sure why you would want a 914 CV when you have those bad boys staring you in the face... huh.gif

Well, I'm trying to 5-lug with as low of initial cost as possible. The cost so far is not insignificant but also not that great: Got the wheels ($400), need tires ($500), 19mm MC ($200), F&R suspension ($150), Probably new front inserts ($150), probably rebuild 4 calipers ($25 each), rear caliper widening kit for vented rotor ($225), Maybe new rotors ($300).

I would like to start with the 914 CV, then later move to the 911 CV and new half-shafts with 911 trans flanges.
jmill
Most guys don't want to give up just the flanges. They'll want to sell you the entire tranny. I ended up getting a pair of flanges at DC Auto for about $70.

I'm saving up for the axles to do the rears up like Eric's how to thread.
PRS914-6
I'm going by memory so check first. That looks like older non "hubcentric" flanges. If I recall they don't need the 5mm spacers (verify)

I think they went to the larger bearing when they started making hubcentric flanges. Again, that's what my beat-up brain recalls
Eric_Shea
If I recall they don't need the 5mm spacers (verify)

Correct o-wise-one locust.gif

Those just slide right in. Probably the same part number as a 914-6 hub.

1974 was a new year, new deal. Taller/Wider bearing (same I.D.) and hub-centric hubs.
Gary
You can use sportomatic coarse spline tranny flanges. I may have a spare set. They're the 100mm diameter to match the 911 CVs and are longer than manual flanges. I have this setup and it lets you use the 911 half shafts (still available).

G
sixnotfour
Doent fix the CSOB's stub problem. Send me the axles,stubs,flanges and Ill send you some drilled and studded -4 hubs and drilled rotors in exchange.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.