Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help removing old sail panel/roll bar glue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silver74insocal
i've tried nothing and i'm all out of ideas biggrin.gif jk. goof off and brake cleaner dont even seem to dent it. is there any easy method? or just a healthy dose of elbow grease and a plastic scraper?

any help will get you much appreciation and a beer.gif drank in your honor
TIA, Dave

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cheapsnake
By the time you find a solvent to cut through the adhesive and finally get it scraped off, you might as well get yourself some aircraft stripper and take it down to bare metal. That stuff is nasty and gets worse with age.

Tom
silver74insocal
QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Mar 16 2011, 06:01 PM) *

By the time you find a solvent to cut through the adhesive and finally get it scraped off, you might as well get yourself some aircraft stripper and take it down to bare metal. That stuff is nasty and gets worse with age.

Tom

well thats encouraging biggrin.gif thanks
Eric_Shea
Goof-off worked for me. Maybe try a more agressive solvent on a rag and let it sit on top of the glue.
AZ914
What are you going to do with the sails? Leave them bare or put vinyl back on? If vinyl.. just sand down any high spots and re-apply adhesive for the next vinyl...
rick 918-S
3M brand adhesive remover sold in bodyshop supply stores.
silver74insocal
thanks for the responses guys. new vinyl is going on but i would imagine the adhesive would work better if old glue is completely removed. gues i'll head to the body shop supply house tomorrow, thanks guys beerchug.gif Dave
windforfun
Have you tried straight acetone?
r_towle
3m adhesive remover, 3m gasket remover, alchohol, acetone, laquer thinner.
Of the last three, one of them will get it.

That is the order I would go.
Let none of these hit the rest of the paint....cover that area below with plastic.
Rex-n-effect
3m adhesive remover, agree.gif
JeffBowlsby
Acetone may remove the paint...

Seems to me its just rubber-based cement, and that plain ole paint thinner will take it off.
r_towle
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 17 2011, 04:34 PM) *

Acetone may remove the paint...

Seems to me its just rubber-based cement, and that plain ole paint thinner will take it off.

On the stock paint on my VW, my BMW, and my 914, acetone did not harm the paint...nor did laquer thinner or alchohol.

Have alot of pine trees here and I get sap on them.,....which seems impervious to anything I can buy aside from sandpaper.

Rich
Pat Garvey
Last time I did it (20+ years ago) I thought about acetone, but it's way too volatile and not exactly good for your lungs. Used 3m adhesive remover copiously & let it sit for about 30 minutes. Used a plastic scraper & got most of it. Used my fingers to get the little balls that just moved around. Takes some patience, but it'll come off. Ventilate!
Pat
Drums66
...Goo gone(citrus cleaner)get drunk! idea.gif poke.gif flag.gif
bye1.gif smoke.gif yellowsleep[1].gif
Mike Bellis
80 grit sanding disc on a 4" angle grinder... That will take it off... and the paint... and your skin... and... and... evilgrin.gif
Socalandy
3M remover works great!!
windforfun
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 17 2011, 02:58 PM) *

Last time I did it (20+ years ago) I thought about acetone, but it's way too volatile and not exactly good for your lungs. Used 3m adhesive remover copiously & let it sit for about 30 minutes. Used a plastic scraper & got most of it. Used my fingers to get the little balls that just moved around. Takes some patience, but it'll come off. Ventilate!
Pat

Acetone is virtually harmless unless swallowed. However, don't smoke when you use it.

smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(windforfun @ Mar 17 2011, 07:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 17 2011, 02:58 PM) *

Pat

Acetone is virtually harmless unless swallowed. However, don't smoke when you use it.

smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif

Handling Acetone is not safe...read the MSDS.
76-914
agree.gif A friggin men, that stuff heads straight for your liver. Maybe we can get the good Dr.E to weigh in on this. What's osmosis? Back on track...Body shops also sell a rubber wheel for removing glue/mastic crap but I don't know if it would work on the hardened Wurth's stuff. Anyone?
windforfun
From the MSDS for acetone:

Potential Health Effects:

Inhalation:
Inhalation of vapors irritates the respiratory tract. May cause coughing, dizziness, dullness, and headache. Higher concentrations can produce central nervous system depression, narcosis, and unconsciousness.
Ingestion:
Swallowing small amounts is not likely to produce harmful effects. Ingestion of larger amounts may produce abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. Aspiration into lungs can produce severe lung damage and is a medical emergency. Other symptoms are expected to parallel inhalation.
Skin Contact:
Irritating due to defatting action on skin. Causes redness, pain, drying and cracking of the skin.
Eye Contact:
Vapors are irritating to the eyes. Splashes may cause severe irritation, with stinging, tearing, redness and pain.
Chronic Exposure:
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may produce severe irritation or dermatitis.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
Use of alcoholic beverages enhances toxic effects. Exposure may increase the toxic potential of chlorinated hydrocarbons, such as chloroform, trichloroethane.
Mike Bellis
Here is my MSDS for Acetone. It is very nasty stuff, most people take for granted...

Click to view attachment
windforfun
This is really nasty stuff too.

Material Safety Data Sheet
Ethyl Alcohol, 70%
ACC# 91791
Section 1 - Chemical Product and Company Identification
MSDS Name: Ethyl Alcohol, 70%
Catalog Numbers: S75119, S75120, S556CA4
Synonyms: Ethyl Alcohol; Ethyl Hydrate; Ethyl Hydroxide; Fermentation Alcohol; Grain Alcohol; Methylcarbinol;
Molasses Alcohol; Spirits of Wine.
Company Identification:
Fisher Scientific
1 Reagent Lane
Fair Lawn, NJ 07410
For information, call: 201-796-7100
Emergency Number: 201-796-7100
For CHEMTREC assistance, call: 800-424-9300
For International CHEMTREC assistance, call: 703-527-3887
Section 2 - Composition, Information on Ingredients
CAS# Chemical Name Percent EINECS/ELINCS
64-17-5 Ethyl alcohol 70 200-578-6
7732-18-5 Water 30 231-791-2
Hazard Symbols: F
Risk Phrases: 11
Section 3 - Hazards Identification
EMERGENCY OVERVIEW
Appearance: colorless clear liquid. Flash Point: 16.6 deg C. Flammable liquid and vapor. May cause central nervous
system depression. Causes severe eye irritation. Causes respiratory tract irritation. Causes moderate skin irritation.
This substance has caused adverse reproductive and fetal effects in humans. Warning! May cause liver, kidney and
heart damage.
Target Organs: Kidneys, heart, central nervous system, liver.
Potential Health Effects
Eye: Causes severe eye irritation. May cause painful sensitization to light. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal
damage.
Skin: Causes moderate skin irritation. May cause cyanosis of the extremities.
Ingestion: May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause systemic toxicity with
acidosis. May cause central nervous system depression, characterized by excitement, followed by headache, dizziness,
drowsiness, and nausea. Advanced stages may cause collapse, unconsciousness, coma and possible death due to
respiratory failure.
Inhalation: Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by nausea,
headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause narcotic effects in high
concentration. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
Chronic: May cause reproductive and fetal effects. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects. Animal
studies have reported the development of tumors. Prolonged exposure may cause liver, kidney, and heart damage.
Section 4 - First Aid Measures
Eyes: Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids.
Get medical aid. Gently lift eyelids and flush continuously with water.
Skin: Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and
shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water.
Ingestion: Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give
anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Inhalation: Remove from exposure and move to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If
breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. Do NOT use mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. Do NOT use mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
Notes to Physician: Treat symptomatically and supportively. Persons with skin or eye disorders or liver, kidney, chronic
respiratory diseases, or central and peripheral nervous sytem diseases may be at increased risk from exposure to this
substance.
Antidote: Replace fluid and electrolytes.
Eric_Shea
I mix it with Cranberry juice drunk.gif
silver74insocal
thanks for all the info guys i got a little side tracked today but will be tackling it this weekend hopefully beerchug.gif DAve
EdwardBlume
I used goo be gone and a razor blade.... carefully.
914four
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Mar 16 2011, 07:11 PM) *

i've tried nothing and i'm all out of ideas biggrin.gif jk. goof off and brake cleaner dont even seem to dent it. is there any easy method? or just a healthy dose of elbow grease and a plastic scraper?

any help will get you much appreciation and a beer.gif drank in your honor
TIA, Dave

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Sorry for the hijack but do you know what the marks are for on the middle rear of the sail panel in the pictures? I found the same marks under the vinyl on my car as well.

Kelvin
silver74insocal
wow thats a good question as i dont remember anything i removed referencing those marks. maybe a reference for a template used to mark/drill for the sail trim confused24.gif hopefully someone with actual knowledge will chime in....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.