Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clogged jets, air adjustment,
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
I drove the car today, started fine, drove for about 30 minutes, no problem after a few, i feel like it was loosing power a bit, I ran a test by taking out the plugs and noticed that there was no difference when i take out #3, I cleaned the jet, and it works fine... driver again for a few, the same thing, not the dead cylender was 1, cleaned the jets, nothing, adjusted the air, it works fine...... ok
take it for an amnother spin 20 minutes or so, same thing again and this time the dead one was 4, cleaned the jets, nothing, adjusted air mothing, adjusted the fuel, then it was fine...

3 cylenders with different solutions? if the were all clogged I would think dirtyfuel filter.

is it what it takes to adjust carbs, one minute they are working fine and the next, they de-adjust themself?

if so, when does it stops?
jmill
I'd say it is the fuel filter. You should run at least 2. One by the tank and the other at the carbs. Some guys run 3, one at each carb and the tank. Crap can clog the idle jet, idle mixture screw, pump jets, etc. Just because it didn't clog all the idle jets at once doesn't mean your filter is ok.

BTW if you do change your filters out expect some junk made it into the float bowl. You might have to blow out things until the bowls are clear.
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
Trash has made it into your carbs. If your car sat all winter, you could also be having gummy gas issues, as the gum is dislodged it could also block passages in your carbs. I am expecting to have to fight with this a little myself.

Zach
ldsgeek
For gummy gas issues might i recommend a dose of Seafoam. I use it every spring in my 1982 Goldwing and it does wonders. The first year I had it on the road, after it sat for 6.5 years, I had rebuilt the carbs and it ran well enough, but after I dosed it with Seafoam the idle climbed to 4000 with out touching the screw as the carbs got cleaner. The stuff just works. Find it at any local parts store and sometimes wally-world.
VaccaRabite
For those that are using Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil, do you put it in the tank, or dribble it down each carb throat while the engine is running?

Zach
tommy914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 18 2011, 08:47 AM) *

For those that are using Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil, do you put it in the tank, or dribble it down each carb throat while the engine is running?

Zach

in the tank for both.

also, since all the gas down here is now 10% ethanol, i've been using Stabil in every tank.

Tommy
Root_Werks
[[/quote]

also, since all the gas down here is now 10% ethanol, i've been using Stabil in every tank.
[/quote]

agree.gif

Couple of good and recent threads on this. Ethanol is the killer of carbs. Gums them up weekly.

Search for "carb popping" or "Ethanol", threads will pop up.
URY914
I wish the a-holes in Washington knew how much ethanol is really costing the country. We are now having to use more oil based products to combat ethanols effects. There are posts like this on every forum I belong to. mad.gif
914itis
what would be the normal sequence?

do I put the seafoam first and let it run? for how long? then pot the stabil, or can I just put both at the same time?
VaccaRabite
Put the Stabil in every time you fill up the tank with gas.
From what I have read, Marine Stabil is what you want to use. Just keep a bottle of it in your car's toolbox or front trunk.

Zach
914itis
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 18 2011, 11:57 AM) *

Put the Stabil in every time you fill up the tank with gas.
From what I have read, Marine Stabil is what you want to use. Just keep a bottle of it in your car's toolbox or front trunk.

Zach
Thanks all

BTW, I am dropping my engine today for a side shift conversion.
FourBlades

You might check your air filters as well. The stock air filters that came with my
carbs are basically window screen with some cotton fiber in between. You need
to oil them regularly with filter oil for them to do anything. I inspected mine
carefully the other day because I am having the same idle jet problems you
are and I noticed that a lot of holes in the cotton filling. My air filters were
basically just two sheets of window screen material in these points. I ordered
new air filters and hope this will end clogged idle jet problems I am having.

Jake pointed out this problem a while back. The cheap air filters actually shed
their cotton fibers and they end up clogging your idles.

John

Kraftwerk
Paul,
Let me know if you need an audience for the transmission change..
I am sure you have plenty of helpers!

My car is running well, F.I. ftw!
jt
914itis
QUOTE(Kraftwerk @ Mar 18 2011, 12:36 PM) *

Paul,
Let me know if you need an audience for the transmission change..
I am sure you have plenty of helpers!

My car is running well, F.I. ftw!
jt

great. actually I dont.. if you want to come over that will be great, will be dropping it arround 4 pm .. and will be working on it tomorow so I can put it back sunday... let me know
jmill
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Mar 18 2011, 11:23 AM) *

You might check your air filters as well. The stock air filters that came with my
carbs are basically window screen with some cotton fiber in between. You need
to oil them regularly with filter oil for them to do anything. I inspected mine
carefully the other day because I am having the same idle jet problems you
are and I noticed that a lot of holes in the cotton filling. My air filters were
basically just two sheets of window screen material in these points. I ordered
new air filters and hope this will end clogged idle jet problems I am having.

Jake pointed out this problem a while back. The cheap air filters actually shed
their cotton fibers and they end up clogging your idles.

John

Forgot about the air filters. That would do it too. BTW, if your running K&N's lose them. They flow better because they don't filter as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.