Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost an axle today @ 85 MPH
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
I am a luck SOB rolleyes.gif

40 min in to my drive to work. Music jammin wind flying im in the fast lane (big trucks all around the place) and WHAM I loose the transmission, still in 5th gear but car is in neutral. And the exhaust is noticeably louder....

I put my signal on to coast 3 lanes as the trucks try to spped up and not let me over sad.gif I am loosing momentum. Finally I see a break and coast onto the shoulder. Kill the engine. Ready to call the towtruck. It was a bad clunk.

I look over the car engine transmission when i notice the drivers axle sitting on the heat exchanger blink.gif All four bolts were still there beerchug.gif A nice dent in the top of the heat exchanger. I thread the bolts on by hand and get the allen wrench, tighten everything back up. IN THE RAIN. and my hands are thick black CV grease first.gif

Got to work 5 min late.

shades.gif

p.s. I bought evils saftey bolts and forgot to put the wire in
slap.gif
URY914
The joys of 914 ownership. Glad you're OK. bye1.gif
flipb
Holy crap! You are so lucky!

You have a rush-hour commute that allows you to go 85mph? In Maryland????????
lol-2.gif
Cap'n Krusty
In 38 years of 914 CV joint installation, I've had ONE fail bad enough to prevent the car from moving under its own power. Never used safety wire. Must be the fact I do it right, every time. Or maybe not ........................
Jakeodoule
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 21 2011, 09:59 AM) *

In 38 years of 914 CV joint installation, I've had ONE fail bad enough to prevent the car from moving under its own power. Never used safety wire. Must be the fact I do it right, every time. Or maybe not ........................

WTF.gif
where's "The Cap'n"
913B
Just curious were the bolts switched over to the allan ones or the original 12 point ones.

P.s. Glad you and the 14 was ok.
dw914er
crazy... but I'm glad it worked out and you were able to keep the 914 running.
jsayre914
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Mar 21 2011, 02:31 PM) *

Just curious were the bolts switched over to the allan ones or the original 12 point ones.

P.s. Glad you and the 14 was ok.

They are the Evil allen bolts .

I was just forgot to put the wire in. rolleyes.gif
Woody
Torque wrench is your friend. shades.gif
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Mar 21 2011, 11:16 AM) *

WTF.gif
where's "The Cap'n"

agree.gif

Who are you and where's the real Cap'n?
jimtab
For those of us in the "great unwashed" group....just what is the torque setting, I just wind 'em up until the wrench handle begins to bend.... rolleyes.gif
orange914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 21 2011, 08:59 AM) *

or maybe...

jaysayre914, don't you work in a "head shop"... just sayin' stirthepot.gif

pauldunn
I cant tell you how many time that has happened to me in my baja bug. way too many times!!!! even once the left rear trans bolt came out which left the driver side of the trans resting on the cv joint. found the bolt, walked 5 miles to buy a wrench and put it back in with no problems. joys of owning old cars...
76-914

and being the consumate professional I'll bet you torque them. I say this after retightening mine several times I read about using all new parts and torqueing them. I was amazed at how under torqued I had done it before. It's scary tight.
VaccaRabite
Well, that was probably the sound you were hearing.

I'm glad you were able to get it fixed roadside.
If you are reading this, I'm still sick so you probably don't want me helping tonight. sad.gif Just my luck finally having a week off and being sick. I'm not getting much of anything done!

Zach
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 22 2011, 08:06 AM) *

Well, that was probably the sound you were hearing.

I'm glad you were able to get it fixed roadside.
If you are reading this, I'm still sick so you probably don't want me helping tonight. sad.gif Just my luck finally having a week off and being sick. I'm not getting much of anything done!

Zach

Thanks anyway Zach,

I believe the sounds i was hearing was a combo of loose cv, bad bearing, and exhaust leak. All will be fixed tommorow cheer.gif

Good news is i can turn the stereo up lound enough that all the sounds are gone laugh.gif
Dr Evil
RJMII makes the kits now. For those that have not needed them good. For those that argue that they are unnecessary, all I say is:

I have been driving cars for many years and never needed my air bag..... rolleyes.gif

Cheap insurance that works. Period.
Dr Evil
Torque is 30 ft/lb
jsayre914
Car is in the shop gettin the rear bearings done.

Tony checked the axle for me and noticed that i lost the cv gasket and both pins that line it up. slap.gif

He is also going to fix the horrible exhaust leak the axle caused wub.gif

r_towle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 22 2011, 10:26 AM) *

RJMII makes the kits now. For those that have not needed them good. For those that argue that they are unnecessary, all I say is:

I have been driving cars for many years and never needed my air bag..... rolleyes.gif

Cheap insurance that works. Period.

I did consider these, the wired ones, for a bit....just cause I too lost an axle once.

then I spent the big dollars and bought new washers and a gasket.
Simple todo...and it has held for 10 years...no issues.

Seems all my cars have CV joints now and no wires.
Probably just using the right parts and the right torque is all that is needed.

I think alot of us may re-use the washers and they are really one time only use.

The wires are insurance, but I always suspect how much potential weakness the system has created in the head of the bolt...considering how hard I have had to get on these sometimes with vice grips...I have been worried about two holes becoming an issue...

Dunno, if I ever have a problem again, I will probably go for the wire, or nuts on the back...

That comes from a guy that is full of Sh#$ so keep that in mind...lots of people would agree with that statement about me.... smile.gif

I have owned over 20 aircooled VW/Porsche cars.
I have worked on them non professionally, total shade tree for 30 plus years now.
All of them have CV joints....well most of them...some had swing axles (which I hate)
In all those cars, in and out with the transmissions....none have failed EXCEPT the 914.
Must be more vibration or stress on something.

I am no Cap'n, nor would I ever claim to be.
Certainly have my days that I would respond in the same Crusty like manner...but as I get older I choose to walk away from the site at that point... smile.gif

RIch
echocanyons
Is it worth a re-troque after an initial drive, sorta like some lug nut/wheel combinations? If so how many miles would be good?

I'm glad that your damage (and your cars) was not severe.
Cupomeat
I once had the same thing happen in my 85 Merkur XR4Ti heading south (east) down the GW parkway into DC, in the snow.

I lose all forward propulsion, pull over, expecting the worst and perhaps death as there is no shoulder on the GW parkway. Was able to squish under the car enough in the snow and a small stream of water to see what went wrong.

Amazingly, all 6 bolts were still there and after some finger tightening, I got to the next place to pull off the road. Sure, I was soaked by the time I got to work, but I was alive and avoided a big tow bill. Hell, if the car had been towed, all the bolts would have been lost (maybe the axle hurt as it smashed around the wheel well) and some Merkur parts are INSANELY expensive (just try to buy a replacement rear hatch glass)!

I am still amazed at that one. It goes down in the book as one of my 5 "Someone is smiling on me" moments of Car ownership.

stewteral
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Mar 21 2011, 09:16 AM) *

I am a luck SOB rolleyes.gif

40 min in to my drive to work. Music jammin wind flying im in the fast lane (big trucks all around the place) and WHAM I loose the transmission, still in 5th gear but car is in neutral. And the exhaust is noticeably louder....

I put my signal on to coast 3 lanes as the trucks try to spped up and not let me over sad.gif I am loosing momentum. Finally I see a break and coast onto the shoulder. Kill the engine. Ready to call the towtruck. It was a bad clunk.

I look over the car engine transmission when i notice the drivers axle sitting on the heat exchanger blink.gif All four bolts were still there beerchug.gif A nice dent in the top of the heat exchanger. I thread the bolts on by hand and get the allen wrench, tighten everything back up. IN THE RAIN. and my hands are thick black CV grease first.gif

Got to work 5 min late.

shades.gif

p.s. I bought evils saftey bolts and forgot to put the wire in
slap.gif

Hey jsayre914,

I has the same thing happen, but luckily JUST after stopping at a stop sign.
So Glad you didn't tear out the whole rear of your car!!!!!

I was also able to bolt my 1/2 shaft back to the trans flange. However, the 1 thing NO ONE has mentioned is the IMPORTANCE OF PUTTING BLUE LOCTITE ON THE THREADS! Since using it I've never had a problem in 8 years.

My car is a Chevy V8 w/ 930 trans and I run it on-track....I REALLY don't want things coming loose at those speeds! I've had the engine/trans out and back over 10 times and ALWAYS use BLUE LOCTITE.

BTW: A bit of engineering 101 I've learned from a friend: The torque is transmitted via the strength of the CLAMPING FORCE between the 2 flanges and NOT the SHEAR-STRENGTH of the attaching bolts! Thus it is CRITICAL to torque the flange bolts!!!

Keep that good luck going!

Terry
mrdkrantz
QUOTE(flipb @ Mar 21 2011, 12:40 PM) *

Holy crap! You are so lucky!

You have a rush-hour commute that allows you to go 85mph? In Maryland????????
lol-2.gif

Got to love 83 in the morning... if you go 75mph you get left in the dust

glad you are ok smile.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Mar 24 2011, 12:08 PM) *

I once had my 85 Merkur XR4Ti

Some things you should just not admit to.......ever............... poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.