Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tyvek?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
They wrap buildings in this stuff for the vapor barrier.

I recently pulled a door panel, and the plastic, I think, was stock.

I was thinking of using tykek to replace it.

Thoughts?
Mike Bellis
Should work just as good as a glad bag. But stronger. Tyvek will keep out moisture and wind...
SirAndy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 21 2011, 09:05 PM) *
Should work just as good as a glad bag. But stronger. Tyvek will keep out moisture and wind...

agree.gif

The stock plastic was both a moisture barrier and a way to keep the wind noise and drafts down ...
smile.gif
Rand
And then you can use sheetrock instead of door panels, put some mud on there with a nice texture, paint it eggshell white.... tongue.gif j/k

Might even cut noise levels a little more? If you have some extra on hand give it a try. We wanna see. smile.gif
Tom_T
IIRC Tyvek is a more "breathable" membrane made for wood framing, so IMHO you'd be better off using standard poly-sheet "Visquene" as used under the concrete slab floors. Visquene is also available in roll stock & various thicknesses. 10-12 mils would suffice I would think.
URY914
We spell it "Visqueen" down here and I agree it would be better.
Mark Henry
I agree. Tyvec is not a vapor barrier, it may be moisture resistant but it's not moisture proof.
You're looking at the wrong side of the studwall...6ml poly vapor barrier will do a better job and is what I've used for years in VW bug doors.
76-914
What's all this moisture proofing talk? lol-2.gif av-943.gif laugh.gif Better block off those drain slots and silicone up all the window squegees, felt strips, door handles and block off that key hole, too!
Mark Henry
I know you're joking, but the main purpose of the VB is so your door panels won't rot off. The backs are basically paper (masonite) and will turn into warped crap in no time flat without a VB.
r_towle
tyvek is a wind barrier.
It is designed to let moisture escape from the building.

By design it will allow moisture to go through and wreck your door panels from behind.

To do it right, use plastic.

Rich
Drums66
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 22 2011, 02:00 PM) *

By design it will allow moisture to go through and wreck your door panels from behind.

Rich

.......It sure will! idea.gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
G e o r g e
i've got stego you can use.
Rand
Question for the Tyvek experts... I thought it was a moister/vapor barrier?

Sealing the building envelope also helps protect your home against bulk water intrusion and air-transported moisture.

Quoted from their site. http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Weatherizatio...homeowners.html

So you're saying "air-transported moisture" doesn't really mean vapor proof, just water resistant?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 22 2011, 06:55 PM) *

Question for the Tyvek experts... I thought it was a moister/vapor barrier?

Sealing the building envelope also helps protect your home against bulk water intrusion and air-transported moisture.

Quoted from their site. http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Weatherizatio...homeowners.html

So you're saying "air-transported moisture" doesn't really mean vapor proof, just water resistant?

Yes, the best analogy I can come up with is think of a water resistant watch compared to a water proof watch.

Quote from your link:

DuPont™ Tyvek® reduces the movement of air into your home and also helps keep water (from driving rain, for example) out of your walls. DuPont™ Tyvek® can breathe too. That means that if moisture does get inside you walls DuPont™ Tyvek® lets it pass through to the outside. Helping to keep air and water out; letting moisture vapor pass through—it's the perfect way to keep you comfortable year round.

drew365
Tyvek will allow vapor (gas) moisture to travel through it in either direction but stops liquid water. This is beneficial to allow a homes wall system to breathe in both directions as the climate changes from winter to summer without a buildup of condensation which could dry rot the framing.
Plastic will stop both vapor and liquid moisture, but could lead to condensation which could create rust on the inner door.
Since the inner door panels aren't sealed, I wonder how much protection the plastic is really providing. But, if vapor damage to the inside of the door panel is a bigger problem than rust damage from condensation, I'd stick with the plastic. Seems like a toss up to me.
Rand
Interesting. I thought it was designed to prevent all moisture from getting in (including vapor, as I thought they meant by "air-transported moisture") but to allow vapor to escape... One-way. Which would mean it would matter which side you faced outward.

If it actually allows vapor to pass both ways, obviously it's not good for the door panel application.

Good discussion.

Krieger
This is not to code.
drew365
The amount of vapor that is allowed to travel through any weather barrier is calculated as a perm rating. Tyvek has one of the highest perm ratings at 28, building paper about 6, plastic 0. If Tyvek only allowed vapor to travel in one direction you'd risk condensation and mold problems during part of the year. I'm still not saying it's the best answer for a 914 door, I think that would take some testing to determine. But, if you want to stop vapor, use plastic.
Rand
I think the real question is, would contractors pay all the 914world members for their used door plastic so they could wrap a building and save money?
tongue.gif

Sounds like it's equally silly to use anything other than plastic in our doors. Kinda like sheetrock mud vs bondo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.