Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric washer with wipers activation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Valy
I've been struggling with my washer for a long time. I liked the idea of electric washer but had the simple wiper switch that doesn't have the additional contact for the intermittent position and can't stand the idea to drill a hole for the button in my nice dash.
I'm also a CSOB (aren't we all?) so won't buy the $100 new wiper switch.

For those in need, here is the link to Andy's tutorial.
http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_el_washer.php

I started from there but wanted to make my wiper switch trigger it and start the wipers at the same time smile.gif

How do I do it simple, "original" and cheap?
Here it comes:

First, I need to trigger the wipers when the washer pump works.
You don't need the intermittent relay to trigger the wipers when you trigger the pump. In fact, the original intermittent relay combined with the washer pump like Andy suggested may cause some unwanted electrical gremlin due to the switch wiring. So, if you're like me and only want the wipers to trigger once when you activate the pump, all you need is a regular relay! ($2 on ebay with the socket and wires)
Here is the schematics of the modified circuit that I used:
Click to view attachment

I used the Brown/Black wire that was existent in my car to trigger the relay and the washer pump.

I also modified the wiper switch and added the missing "53c" contact. It's a pretty simple modification but don't have the pictures right now to show as the switch is already on the car.
I'll add the pictures if there is enough interest in this thread.
Eric_Shea

Please do.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 22 2011, 03:29 PM) *

Please do.

agree.gif
Valy
Here are the pictures:
Click to view attachment
I made a copper tab that connects the washer trigger to 12V.
The small bump that pressed the water switch is now pressing the tab into the contact.
You can see that I reused the bolts and nuts that previously connected the water switch.
One nut (right) is used provide the 12V contact with the tab and the other is just holding the tab.
Click to view attachment

The green wire that I added connects to constant 12V to the 2nd tab from left (53a). You can solder it to the tab or you can tap into the wire.

Click to view attachment
Valy
More:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
Nicely done!
Eric_Shea
agree.gif What's your address? I'm sending mine! biggrin.gif
Valy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 23 2011, 10:12 AM) *

agree.gif What's your address? I'm sending mine! biggrin.gif

Eric,
I seriously consider helping others with this upgrade.
After I posted the pictures I realized that I can also integrate the relay function into the switch so no need to cut the wires any more (too bad mine are cut already).

PM me if you're really into this and we'll talk.
Chris Pincetich
SWEET beerchug.gif
I am doing my interior rustoration now, have the column switches out, a new wiper washer pump from Pelican, and was going to dig into this following Andy's instructions this month.

I would happily drive over to meet you in Sunnyvale if I could leave with this mod. Especially the updated "less cutting elsewhere" version. Alternatively, I would ship you my stuff and something cool in return (money? rusty parts?).

I will send a PM so you have my contact info

Side note since you seem sharp on electronics - WHERE is that thread on doing the mod to get the side markers to blink with the appropriate turn signal??
beerchug.gif
bandjoey
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Mar 23 2011, 02:23 PM) *

SWEET beerchug.gif
I am doing my interior rustoration now, have the column switches out, a new wiper washer pump from Pelican, and was going to dig into this following Andy's instructions this month.

I would happily drive over to meet you in Sunnyvale if I could leave with this mod. Especially the updated "less cutting elsewhere" version. Alternatively, I would ship you my stuff and something cool in return (money? rusty parts?).

Side note since you seem sharp on electronics - WHERE is that thread on doing the mod to get the side markers to blink with the appropriate turn signal??
beerchug.gif

I think the thread for side markers blinking is over on Pelican. found it..
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...rn-signals.html
Bartlett 914
There is some discussion on this thread about intermittent wiper operation AND washer function. Normally you will not be able to do both. I show a circuit that will permit both.

Intermitten wipers and washer function
plymouth37
Nice work!
Valy
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 23 2011, 02:41 PM) *

There is some discussion on this thread about intermittent wiper operation AND washer function. Normally you will not be able to do both. I show a circuit that will permit both.

You are right about combining the intermittent relay with the washer pump.
The problem is that the signal from the switch is NC (not connected) when in intermittent position, grounded in any other position and 12V when you trigger the washer. If you connect a washer pump to that signal you're putting a pull-down resistor on the relay input. Depending on the resistance of your pump, this may cause the intermittent wipers to not work, work all the time or just full you all day long.

Your circuit is nice but my switch modification will also work on the intermittent switch with the relay and trigger the pump piratenanner.gif

You can also use the 924 wiper switch that has a dedicated pump contact. This will be ~$100 for a Chinese reproduction. I bought one that was a useless piece of junk. The seller claimed that all of them have the same defect so I asked for refund. Your particular millage may vary but, good luck on that path! One more thing about this, note that the Chinese reproduction has a wider handle axis than the original and here are some pictures:

ORIGINAL SWF:
Click to view attachment

Cheap Chinese reproduction:
Click to view attachment
Valy
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Mar 23 2011, 03:12 PM) *

Nice work!

Thanks! Getting this from you is overwhelming smile.gif
My admiration to your work is difficult to describe!

BTW, I may be in Denver on April 30 +/- one day. Not 100% sure as I'm trying to avoid the trip but I may be forced to anyway. If I come, maybe we can drunk.gif
Valy
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Mar 23 2011, 12:23 PM) *

SWEET beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

WOW! You got me here. I'm originally from Israel where the side markers are mandated to act as turn signals so in my mind that was their scope on the fenders.
I tried to understand your comment and also read the linked thread and couldn't figure out what's all about confused24.gif but I finally realized that they're always on when the parking light are on.

Now I have one more task on my todo list smile.gif
jt914-6
Not to hijack but I can offer a wiper switch that is intermittant and has a 12 volt washer feature. It is a direct replacement for the '70-71 which means it is a dash mounted switch. It's made to work with Bosch systems. It has an intermittant range from about three to sixteen seconds adjustable by turning the knob, low and high speeds too. Push in the knob to get the wash feature. I've got one on my '74 as said mounted on the dash. Everything is built into the switch. Just a 12 volt pump needed.....Hijack over...Just wanted to let the world know of this option...pm me if more info is wanted.... beerchug.gif
Valy
Update:

I've added a programmable intermittent wiper function to my old circuit.
I use a programmable VW relay. Activate once, wait the desired delay time and activate again.

This is the best upgrade I've done to my car. The guy who invented this relay is a genius - no additional switches that can brake and it can easily retrofit in any car!

Click to view attachment
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Valy @ Mar 23 2011, 07:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 23 2011, 02:41 PM) *

You are right about combining the intermittent relay with the washer pump.
The problem is that the signal from the switch is NC (not connected) when in intermittent position, grounded in any other position and 12V when you trigger the washer. If you connect a washer pump to that signal you're putting a pull-down resistor on the relay input. Depending on the resistance of your pump, this may cause the intermittent wipers to not work, work all the time or just full you all day long.

Your circuit is nice but my switch modification will also work on the intermittent switch with the relay and trigger the pump piratenanner.gif

You can also use the 924 wiper switch that has a dedicated pump contact. This will be ~$100 for a Chinese reproduction. I bought one that was a useless piece of junk. The seller claimed that all of them have the same defect so I asked for refund. Your particular millage may vary but, good luck on that path! One more thing about this, note that the Chinese reproduction has a wider handle axis than the original and here are some pictures:

ORIGINAL SWF:

Cheap Chinese reproduction:

Terrific information for this mod. A few questions. I've just gotten one of those 924 cpos wiper switch with the extra wire to power my electric pump and yes indeed I see the 1/8th" gap you noted.
How will that gap adversly affect the action or installation?
Have you had one apart by chance? It appears as if the stalk axis you noted could be modified to eliminate that gap.
I'm really looking forward to this mod. My pump is one of a 928 headlight washer system and in hotwire testing will hopefully blast the windshield with something a bit more robust than most of the normal wiper washer pumps I had looked at.
Thanks for the very informative thread/reply beer.gif
Valy
I finally installed that switch. I was planning to take it apart and fix the issue but it fitted in aside was and worked well.
The new switch is a bit more rigid than the old swf but that's because it's new. Not a real issue.
Make sure the pump sits lower than the water reservoir or else you'll need to prime the pump every time you use it and it will overheat and burn it eventually.
If you go through all the trouble of installing the pump, wire the programable intermittent relay as I did. You won't regret it.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Valy @ Jun 18 2014, 04:30 PM) *

I finally installed that switch. I was planning to take it apart and fix the issue but it fitted in aside was and worked well.
The new switch is a bit more rigid than the old swf but that's because it's new. Not a real issue.
Make sure the pump sits lower than the water reservoir or else you'll need to prime the pump every time you use it and it will overheat and burn it eventually.
If you go through all the trouble of installing the pump, wire the programable intermittent relay as I did. You won't regret it.

I really really want to try that. Electrical isn't my strong suit and worse, I'm horribly color blind. I'd have to get help dry.gif
It's an uber cool mod!
HalfMoon
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jun 18 2014, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Jun 18 2014, 04:30 PM) *

I really really want to try that. Electrical isn't my strong suit and worse, I'm horribly color blind. I'd have to get help dry.gif
It's an uber cool mod!

And help I will now ask for!
Valy, due to my extreme color blindness (I know most of you will roll your eyes at this), could you identify which two wires are supposed to be seperated from the plastic wire loom and run down the colum for hook up to the pump and the fuse block?
The physical location of wire "A" leads me to think it's probably a black wire and one of the wires that's supposed to go down the column for use of the washer pump hot or to the fuse block (in your directions it did't seem to matter), but I'm having problems identifying the second wire that must be seperated from the original plastic wire seperator for the mods use. I think it might be wire "B"?
As an aside, I've decided for now to not use an intermitent relay. I'm just hooking up the washer pump. I'll tackle the intermitent mod you've described at a later time.
Thanks alot for any help you can give me beer.gif
Click to view attachment
Valy
Don't worry, I understand your situation. I have a color blind son myself.
You don't need to take anything apart on this switch. Just get the A (53c in my diagram) wire to the pump (hot wire) and connect the other pump wire to the ground (body).
That's it.
You may want to take off the pneumatic tubes on the switch to make the installation easier. Also make sure the water reservoir is vented, I drilled a hole through the cap.
When you activate the pump, the wipers should run as well. When you add the relay, the wipers will run a bit longer upon activation.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Valy @ Jun 19 2014, 06:39 PM) *

Don't worry, I understand your situation. I have a color blind son myself.
You don't need to take anything apart on this switch. Just get the A (53c in my diagram) wire to the pump (hot wire) and connect the other pump wire to the ground (body).
That's it.
You may want to take off the pneumatic tubes on the switch to make the installation easier. Also make sure the water reservoir is vented, I drilled a hole through the cap.
When you activate the pump, the wipers should run as well. When you add the relay, the wipers will run a bit longer upon activation.

Oh cool! I must have misunderstood some of the directions. I thought I'd have to use the relays to obtain the activation of the washer with the wipers, but now I see that the relay merely adds a delay (intermitent). That is way cool! And there's no second wire from the switch to the fuse box for powering it. Also cool!
And I thought I was going to have to exchange my old platic wire loom holder for the one that's currently on the new wiper switch. But I gather that the one that's on it as ordered will work?
Jeez, if this is gonna be this simple I can't understand why every teener owner on the planet wouldn't do it, lol!
Thanks for the tip about removing the pneumatic tubing smile.gif
Valy
It's all plug and play except the new wire (A) that needs to be connected to the pump. That's it. Yes, it's simpler than adding an external switch wink.gif
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Valy @ Jun 19 2014, 11:59 PM) *

It's all plug and play except the new wire (A) that needs to be connected to the pump. That's it. Yes, it's simpler than adding an external switch wink.gif

Daaaa ummm! Hoping to get it done tomorrow.
Hopefully adding the two relay's down the road will be a snap as well evilgrin.gif
Thanks much for helping out friend!
David
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Valy @ Jun 19 2014, 11:59 PM) *

Oh oh....
Well I got the switch and installed it but no love.
One of the big reasons I got the switch was not only to get power for a pump I installed but also to hopefully correct what I thought was a bad wiper switch as my wipers stopped working completely (although I never did have a high side function)
Anyway, I hooked up the 924 switch and no love. No doubt caused by pin 53a at the wiper being zero ohm. And oh yes it blows the fuse at slot 8!
But the really odd thing is this....when I removed the rd/blk wire from the wiper that connects 53a, the low side of my wiper starts working when the 924 stalk switch is in the off position with all the other positions non-functional. The self parking doesn't work either. It begs the question about the switch being plug and play? Is it truly or when doing the install are any of the wires on the 924 switch supposed to be re-routed down the plastic router at the switch? And of course compounding the problem is the unknown year of the motor and how that could effect the routing of the wires on install.
No doubt the wiper motor is bad as zero ohm at 53a isn't gonna work at all, but odd that I'm getting functionaility when 53a is unhooked.
I wonder which pin does what? That could be useful in trouble shooting....
Grrrr.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.