Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 4 engine stand conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john914/4
I was talking with my brother about coming up with a adapter to fit onto a type 4 vw engine. I seen the ones on the net and I don't get it? this thing looks like it will only pick up 2 bolts. I want to come up with something that will be able to atach the 4 bolts. so I can spin this dude. we like the idea of coming up with an adapter to slide onto the 2 1/2" yoke of a reguler engine stand. of which I have 2. anybody come up with a nice idea? thanks.
bigkensteele
They make them that way so you can split the case and still have half of it on the stand.
john914/4
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 25 2011, 03:04 PM) *

They make them that way so you can split the case and still have half of it on the stand.

oh okey. I take it that it is supported fairly well then with only 2 bolts attached. seems like there would be to much weight on the 2 areas though. but if it works it works.
euro911
It depends.

If you want to build an engine stand for tearing apart and rebuilding engines, the half-moon crescent type are best, because you'll need to separate the case halves to get at the innards.

If you want an engine run stand, see this thread: http://z8.invisionfree.com/ClubNARP/index....ic=1830&hl=
john914/4
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 25 2011, 03:10 PM) *

It depends.

If you want to build an engine stand for tearing apart and rebuilding engines, the half-moon crescent type are best, because you'll need to separate the case halves to get at the innards.

If you want an engine run stand, see this thread: http://z8.invisionfree.com/ClubNARP/index....ic=1830&hl=

thanks for the info I am looking at just a rebuild and that is where I am . splitting then would be great. thanks
bigkensteele
I should have also said that I use a Harbor Freight stand, and it can be bolted to all four holes without any modification (but you have to take off the flywheel). I am not splitting my case, so it works best for me on my current re-seal project. If you need to be able to support the weight of the entire engine and rotate it, you are correct that the half yoke probably isn't the best.
john914/4
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 25 2011, 03:10 PM) *

It depends.

I went to the site and read about the stand. does the housing have to be a VW bus bell housing or will a reguler bel housing from a porche 914 work as I have a couple. and does year matter.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 25 2011, 04:35 PM) *

I should have also said that I use a Harbor Freight stand, and it can be bolted to all four holes without any modification (but you have to take off the flywheel). I am not splitting my case, so it works best for me on my current re-seal project. If you need to be able to support the weight of the entire engine and rotate it, you are correct that the half yoke probably isn't the best.

"Isn't the best"? Porsche and VW think so. Porsche hangs all kinds of REALLY heavy engines on the "half yoke" without a problem. While there are only 2 bolts, the load is spread over the entire case half. That's why the machined half circle is there. With the 4 bolt stand sold primarily for use with American iron, all the weight is taken by 4 relatively tiny points, or 2 if you're using it in a way that the case halves will separate easily.

The Cap'n
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 26 2011, 08:45 AM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 25 2011, 04:35 PM) *

"Isn't the best"? Porsche and VW think so. Porsche hangs all kinds of REALLY heavy engines on the "half yoke" without a problem. While there are only 2 bolts, the load is spread over the entire case half. That's why the machined half circle is there. With the 4 bolt stand sold primarily for use with American iron, all the weight is taken by 4 relatively tiny points, or 2 if you're using it in a way that the case halves will separate easily.

The Cap'n

I stand corrected.

IIRC, Dr. Evil was toying with the idea of making adapters from old tranny cases.
Dr Evil
I was, but it was too much work and I am out of cores. Maybe in the future I will make more.
euro911
QUOTE(john914/4 @ Mar 26 2011, 06:39 AM) *
I went to the site and read about the stand. does the housing have to be a VW bus bell housing or will a reguler bel housing from a porche 914 work as I have a couple. and does year matter.
Yes you can use a standard 901 or 915 transaxle to make a Run Stand, however, the bell housing is an integral part of the transaxle on those units.

That's the cool thing about the VW Bus bell housing ... it unbolts from the rest of the transaxle.

Click to view attachment

... and yes, as Krusty pointed out, you'll need one from a 1968-1975 bus. The one I'm currently building will be specifically for T4 engines.
charliew
I have a empty t1 tranny that has been cut through the center of the axle holes and the holes in the alxe area is what a angle iron stand bolts to, to make the stand. I was thinking a circular saw might cut the tranny in half once the ring gear is out.
stugray
I was thinking a circular saw might cut the tranny in half

I certainly hope you wouldnt try that on just ANY old porsche tranny ;-)

The Magnesium fire might get you into the darwin awards file...

Stu
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 31 2011, 01:57 AM) *

I was thinking a circular saw might cut the tranny in half

I certainly hope you wouldnt try that on just ANY old porsche tranny ;-)

The Magnesium fire might get you into the darwin awards file...

Stu

We NEED video! first.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.