Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to do with my 1973 2.0L 914.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carfun
Hi,

I have a light green 1973 2.0L 914 I bought used in 1974. It has about 80k miles on it but it has been in storage and on blocks for over 20 years. I recently looked at it and the interior looks show room perfect but the exterior suffered some small dents and the disk rotors are complete rust. I fogged the motor when I parked it there so many years ago and it had zero gas in it but it was not running well at the time, I am thinking it needed new points. I removed the battery when I parked it but it already had a small amount of acid burn on the battery tray which I spray canned to stop further damage. The transmission feels like a brand new car, if fact, it still smells like a brand new car. The reason I am considering doing something with this car is because I have had it stored in my dad's barn all this time and my dad is getting old and soon I will have to pay to store the car.

I love this car, good power, great gas mileage, and drives like a go-cart. I especially like the transmission configuration with first gear being the odd ball instead of fifth gear like so many Porsches.

I also have a 1976 911S Targa which I rebuilt the motor and completely disassembled the body for repainting and am currently re-assembling (not easy to install a Targa window) so I am not anxious about tearing into another big project right away.

I like my Porsches but do not have a desire to garage two weekend drivers and I have been considering changing to a 12 cylinder Ferrari.

The picture below is exactly what my car looks like except the first owner painted the hood black, I don't know why.

Anyway, I am not sure what to do with my 914. Any suggestions?

Dan

Eric_Shea
Repaint the hood and drive it. welcome.png
jcambo7
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 27 2011, 06:08 PM) *

Repaint the hood and drive it. welcome.png

agree.gif welcome.png
messix
dump the ass dragger and get the teener running!!!!

welcome.png
moparrob
Put the 2.7 into the 914 and sell the remainder of the parts to pay for the conversion...
wreglesworth
Sell it to me,
wingnut86
QUOTE(moparrob @ Mar 27 2011, 07:39 PM) *

Put the 2.7 into the 914 and sell the remainder of the parts to pay for the conversion...

I agree with Rob.

,,,everyone knows a 2.7 screaming bat outta H-E-Double Matchsticks Teaner beats a 2.7 911 all day/every day...

slap.gif

happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif

rick 918-S
Delphi is a cool color! Keep the 914, install the 2.7 and the suspension from the 911 and go kill some corners. The 914 with the same 2.7 and 911 suspension will out run and out handle the 911 any day. 911's make great doner cars for the 914's.

OH: welcome.png
Tom_T
Dan - agree.gif ... keep the 914 - drive & enjoy it - even with a lowly 2.0 H4, sell the 911! biggrin.gif

IMHO I'd keep it stock 2.0 - regardless of what all the -6 nutz here say! Of course I'm prejudiced, having owned my 73 2L almost as long as you 12/75! biggrin.gif

Actually, having owned it that long & it being a 73 2L - get the dings fixed (maybe paintless dent removal) then respray that hood/F deck lid back to the original color.

Post some pix of your actual 914 on here when you get a chance.

welcome.png

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
Tom_T
You've gottta love this book on your coffee table with that 914-2.0 in your garage or driveway!

Click to view attachment

shades.gif
warpig
Your first idea is right. Get a Ferrari, and give the teener to me!!! I'll even come pick it up. aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.