Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flat towing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
It's been a long time since I towed my 1965 bug behind my Mothers 1964 ImpalaSS. U Haul bumper hitch and towbar. laugh.gif I learned that day you can't back up while flat towing a car. confused24.gif Any suggestions? I need to go 30 miles. Car's in neutral, battery desconnected, ignition switch on to keep steering wheel from locking, parking brake off. What'd I forget?
Cheers, Elliot
Elliot Cannon
Two more.
AZ914
I don't think you forgot anything. I've flat towed mine a few times. Can't backup because the wheel will turn the way you don't want it to.
Make sure the door is unlocked so you can get in there quick if necessary.
URY914
You may want to cover the cars hood somehow so rocks coming off the trucks tires don't chip that pretty black paint.
Elliot Cannon
Thanks Jason. The doors don't lock anyway so... laugh.gif
DanT
Safety chains need to attach to the car. With mine I attached to the tow bracket
With some large chain link connecters
Your draw bar should be low enough so the tow bar is flat.
With it pitched up at the hitch head, every time you hit the brakes the 914 will be pushing up instead of straight forward into The tow vehicle.
AZ914
Also, I see your magnet light wire over the mirror etc. I've done it that way and at freeway speeds the thing vibrates and will scuff the clear coat (or paint). IF there is any way you can rig it so the wires don't touch the paint, do it. (and then tell me how you did it...) smile.gif
DanT
For wiring I hard wired mine with one way diodes, using the stock 914 turn and running lights. smile.gif
r_towle
Unhook your 914 battery to prevent the key from ruining your ignition.

RIch
Mike Bellis
Spend $30 on a drop hitch. 4-6 inches should get the ball down low enough. The angle you have looks scary!
AZ914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 27 2011, 08:09 PM) *

Spend $30 on a drop hitch. 4-6 inches should get the ball down low enough. The angle you have looks scary!

I agree... The mount should be parallel (or as close to it as possible) as your ball mount. I have a 5" drop off of my slightly lowered Ram.
Gint
QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 27 2011, 05:44 PM) *
You may want to cover the cars hood somehow so rocks coming off the trucks tires don't chip that pretty black paint.
The entire front end will get hammered with whatever debris you kick out from the tow vehicle. Go through some road construction and you're going to be pissed off.

agree.gif with everything that's already been said. BTDT
partwerks
Beer?
speed metal army
U haul car trailer.$49 bux for 24 hours....Way better.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 27 2011, 06:25 PM) *

Unhook your 914 battery to prevent the key from ruining your ignition.

RIch

Already done. Thanks.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 27 2011, 08:09 PM) *

I was concerned about that. I'm only towing a short distance this time. If I tow it a long distance for an event etc. I'll be using a drop down hitch.
ptravnic
I usually put the magnetic lights closer to the rear window on top of the engine lid to avoid air flow moving them/scratching up the paint.

To run the wires, I put the wire from the hitch into the front trunk somewhere near the center and up to L or R side side and out of the front trunk near the cowl area, then through the door just ahead of the small "A" window into the cockpit then under the targa on the rollbar. I think that minimizes any wire to paint slapping.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Mar 27 2011, 09:54 PM) *

I usually put the magnetic lights closer to the rear window on top of the engine lid to avoid air flow moving them/scratching up the paint.

To run the wires, I put the wire from the hitch into the front trunk somewhere near the center and up to L or R side side and out of the front trunk near the cowl area, then through the door just ahead of the small "A" window into the cockpit then under the targa on the rollbar. I think that minimizes any wire to paint slapping.

Done. Thanks.
andys
Yes you can back the car. My bud that crewed for a Trans Am team back in the early 70's taught me a trick that works extremely well. Attach two bungee cords at the 6 o'clock position on the steering wheel (assuming a three spoke wheel) through one of the usual holes in the spoke. Anchor one bungee low on the left side and one low on the right; when I did my 914, I had the door panels off, so I anchored to the low parts of the doors. A reasonably stout bungee works best; you may have to mess with the lengths to get approximate equal tension.

I have done this many times, and it does work. Don't expect to make any real sharp reversing turns, but it will allow you to back the car just fine. BTW, the car tracks just fine in the forward direction. When I flat tow for any distance, I remove the bungees and re-connect them when I need to back up; this for safety should one of the bungees de-attach, that would obviously want to turn the car......not good when you're towing forward on the freeway at 60MPH.

Andy1
Elliot Cannon
Successful tow down to the shop. No problem. I will however buy a new hitch ball that is dropped down about 4-6 inches if I have to tow it over any real distances. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Cheers, Elliot
DBCooper
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Mar 27 2011, 07:53 PM) *

U haul car trailer.$49 bux for 24 hours....Way better.

I've done that too. Might be the worst transport choice I've made. Now the only way I'll do it is a flat tow. I don't have a 3/4 ton truck and trailer or I might trailer it, but never a dolly, never again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.