Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sway Bar Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sleepin
I have installed this older H&H 19mm sway bar, but before I get the wheels back on, can someone please explain the function of the adjustment holes here (indicated by the orange arrow)?
McMark
Further away from the bar is softer and doesn't affect handling as much.
Sleepin
That was quick!!! Thank you Mark! pray.gif
wertygrog
I have the same sway bar setup in my car. You will really like it! Any ideas on who sells replacement bushings for it though?
Eric_Shea
That's why I recommended on Facebook you start at the furthest hole.

19's a big bar for street (yeah, yeah... bla, bla, bla - but a stock bar is perfect for street), so I always recommend starting out there and moving in. If those arms are longer than stock, that outside hole will probably give you a great ride.
pcar916
I've been running this bar (in 22mm) since 1994 (it was installed by the PO (a good one BTW). After using it all these years I have several observations.

The first is common to all of the through-the-car types.
- Reinforce the wheel-well mounting areas if they aren't already. I wound up having to weld mine up after a few track-years. Quick repair but stupid not to fix it ahead of time.

The second issue is one familiar to all bushing bars, as opposed to bearing types.
- I use silicon grease to avoid embrittlement brought on by petroleum greases. But that means to combat the dust/dirt attraction of all greased things, I've modified boots from other things to protect the bushing and keep the lube pristine. Technically you should do it on the inside too, but certainly the outside is more acute.
- Make sure the bushing has full contact in the boss and do what you have to to make that happen.

Very easy to do at the front end.

Good luck!
tommy914
Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Oh that's awesome... great post Tommy. Looks like the far setting would be equal to a stock 16mm 911 bar.
Andyrew
Awesome post Tommy! That will come in handy when im fabbing up my arms for my nascar front sway bar.

SLITS
Way wonderful ... the only problem I see is that you can move the upper attachment all you want, but can't move the lower attachment as it is fixed.

The proper method is that the link is vertical to the plane at all times, so the same plate should be added to the lower attachment.

Of course, I am just an instigator and stromberg.gif stirthepot.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(tommy914 @ Mar 30 2011, 01:47 PM) *

Yeah.....good info- idea.gif
bye1.gif 14.gif
sixnotfour
Of course, I am just an instigator and

That is why some people mount the U tabs 90 degrees compared to factory or
call it inline with the H&H arm.
wertygrog
Just discovered that Lee Houseman (the maker of these H&H sway bars) is still alive and kicking, and apparently still sells replacement parts/bushings for his swaybars. He can be reached at 978-256-9465 I believe. beerchug.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 30 2011, 04:42 PM) *

Of course, I am just an instigator and

That is why some people mount the U tabs 90 degrees compared to factory or
call it inline with the H&H arm.

Angled drop links are less effective.
Eric_Shea
prove it slap.gif
AndyB
blink.gif Oh damn someone just drew the line in the sand poke.gif biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Just make'n the old fart work. He'll be Googling for hours to come up with some witty repartee. biggrin.gif

slits.gif
Sleepin
lol3.gif You guys crack me up!

The thing handles sooo much better now! biggrin.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 30 2011, 01:23 PM) *

I have installed this older H&H 19mm sway bar, but before I get the wheels back on, can someone please explain the function of the adjustment holes here (indicated by the orange arrow)?

can someone explain to me how that orange arrow got on the floor huh.gif
Eric_Shea
Val's halloween nail polish. That's the extent of E's "Photoshop" skills. Now he has to whip out the Acetone and clean everything up before she notices.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.