Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing seam sealer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wrightee
Ok, finally making a little progress on stripping my shell for a couple small rust repairs and repaint. I'm taking it down to uncover any hidden rust, and just took up the floor pan tar with a heat gun. The floors are in real good shape - a tad of surface rust here and there.

Click to view attachment
Do you all recommend removing the seam sealer, then redoing that after primer? If so, what do you use to get it off?

Thanks for any advice.

Ed
Krieger
Your floors look pretty good, but...Start scraping at it with regular old chisel where there is rust next to the seam sealer. Chase the rust until you find none then stop. It comes up nicely where there is rust. IMHO its a lot of work to remove all and may not be worth. Those 3M wheels (drill atatchment) that look like hardened lung tissue work good at removing rust and the seam sealer.
mepstein
needle scaler - cheap at harbor freight
t collins
welcome.png fellow VA teener beerchug.gif
Beach914
I'm having luck with this on a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Be careful !!! its real wicked to use and you don't want to hit yourself with it.

Click to view attachment
70_914
Snap On Crud Thug. Just don't get your hand stuck in it...

chrispy
I just heated underside with a propane torch (about 10" x 10" area), than scraped with a 3/4 " chisel. Of course I repainted bottom afterwards.
I do enjoy all the ideas that others contribute. there always seems to be a better way. Enjoy
wallys914
that look like hardened lung tissue...

Lol, but I agree smile.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Mar 31 2011, 05:59 PM) *

I'm having luck with this on a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Be careful !!! its real wicked to use and you don't want to hit yourself with it.

Click to view attachment

+1 on the knotted wire wheel.

+1 on not hitting yourself with it. It didn't remove as much flesh as I would have expected, but the bruising was impressive.
jasons
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Mar 31 2011, 11:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Beach914 @ Mar 31 2011, 05:59 PM) *

Click to view attachment

+1 on the knotted wire wheel.

+1 on not hitting yourself with it. It didn't remove as much flesh as I would have expected, but the bruising was impressive.

agree.gif On both counts. It will burn through that seam sealer pretty fast. And, wear gloves to protect your digits.
turnaround89
On both counts. It will burn through that seam sealer pretty fast. And, wear gloves to protect your digit

agree.gif

Wear some goggles as well, the knotted wire wheels will throw the seam sealer all over the place.
Series9
Going on right now in my shop.

Like this. Where eye protection.

McMark
+1 Torch. Heat it up and it'll separate from the panel, and then a little poke with a chisel will take up large sections. You're not really trying to burn it out. The surface will char and pop and burn, but the point is to heat up the material until it softens.

Wire wheels work, but they're slow, tedious, and messy. Although, for what Joe is doing (floorpan) it'll work better. But for seam sealer in joints and corners, I always grab for the torch & chisel.
r_towle
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 1 2011, 05:43 PM) *

+1 Torch. Heat it up and it'll separate from the panel, and then a little poke with a chisel will take up large sections. You're not really trying to burn it out. The surface will char and pop and burn, but the point is to heat up the material until it softens.

Wire wheels work, but they're slow, tedious, and messy. Although, for what Joe is doing (floorpan) it'll work better. But for seam sealer in joints and corners, I always grab for the torch & chisel.

agree.gif

Beware...it is toxic when it burns so wear some protection or expect a headache

Rich
ellisor3
I used this 6" wire wheel. It was a little slower than the others but it did not hurt as much either, plus no fear of damaging the metal. Wear leather gloves and eye protection.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-wire-wheel-46764.html

Here is the whole selection:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch...lt?q=wire+wheel

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.