Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel delivery issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
When I originally started sorting things out with the FI system on my LE, the fuel pump had a jumper hooked to the coil to run. I removed this and the car starts and runs fine - for a few minutes. A couple times when I ran it down the road a half mile or so and then headed back, the car would hesitate and die about half way back. The first time it did this, it started up after a minute or so and I drove on home. Tonight when the same thing happened, I attached the jumper wire from the fuel pump to the coil and it started up and made it back to the house fine. I even drove it beyond the house about half a mile and back. But when I turned the key off, it kept on running. Had to pull the jumper wire to stop the pump.

Where should I begin troubleshooting this? I would rather get it working properly without the jumper wire.

Thanks.

driving.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Apr 8 2011, 07:16 PM) *
When I originally started sorting things out with the FI system on my LE, the fuel pump had a jumper hooked to the coil to run. I removed this and the car starts and runs fine - for a few minutes. A couple times when I ran it down the road a half mile or so and then headed back, the car would hesitate and die about half way back. The first time it did this, it started up after a minute or so and I drove on home. Tonight when the same thing happened, I attached the jumper wire from the fuel pump to the coil and it started up and made it back to the house fine. I even drove it beyond the house about half a mile and back. But when I turned the key off, it kept on running. Had to pull the jumper wire to stop the pump.

Where should I begin troubleshooting this? I would rather get it working properly without the jumper wire.

Check the fuel pump relay on the relay board. Make sure the contacts are not corroded and make sure it fits tight. If it fits lose, you can carefully pry the prongs a bit to give it a better fit.
I would also try to replace it with a other known to be good relay, like one of the headlight relays.

bye1.gif
poorsche914
Thank you, Andy. I should have thought of that as I replaced my old relay board with a "nicer" one that included relays. Never checked each relay, though.

driving.gif
Dave_Darling
There's a fuel pump flowchart on Brad Anders' D-jet page. http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders

--DD
poorsche914
Thanks. I will check into that.

driving.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 8 2011, 11:33 PM) *
There's a fuel pump flowchart on Brad Anders' D-jet page. http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders
--DD

Flowchart was just what I needed. Came up with a faulty wire in the harness. I nabbed a like-new Bowlsby rebuilt harness from a seller here piratenanner.gif Should have it around mid week or so.

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.