Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installed the Bosch 034 SVDA Distributor Today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NJ914Guy
Removed the old Hot-Spark knock-off 009 distributor and installed a nice/new Bosch 034 SVDA (purchased from John @ Aircooled.net). I had John pre-install the Pertronix points elimination module and also ordered a new O-Ring, 2 meters of German 3.5mm vac hose and the 3.5mm vac T. The T worked perfect to connect the onboard vac ports on my new dual Weber 40 IDF carbs to the dizzy. John emailed me some great instructions and we timed the car to his exact specifications (with and without the vac hose connected). Install was pretty easy and the car is running great.

I posted last week that I was having a rough running condition when the car was warmed up, probably due to a dying ignition module. Well, after an hour run today, she's running strong with no problems yet (fingers crossed).

If you are running carbs and have been considering a swap from an 009 or 050 distributor to a vac advance model, the 034 SVDA runs very well in my car. To the best of my knowledge, I have a stock cam but I can't be sure. Idle is smooth and she revs off-idle all the way to 5,800 RPM fast and smooth.

-Chuck
willamp
Hey Chuck,

Can you describe where the vacuum ports are on the weber 40 IDFs? Or better yet do you have a picture? I've looked at my carbs and also in the Hayne's weber manual and I don't see vacuum ports.

Thanks
NJ914Guy
Just posted a video thread of the car which includes the engine compartment. If you need a close-up pic after that, let me know and I can email to you!

QUOTE(willamp @ Apr 9 2011, 01:47 PM) *

Hey Chuck,

Can you describe where the vacuum ports are on the weber 40 IDFs? Or better yet do you have a picture? I've looked at my carbs and also in the Hayne's weber manual and I don't see vacuum ports.

Thanks

r_towle
some webers have the port drilled, some only have the boss...
They can be drilled out and press in a tube...not to hard.

Rich
willamp
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 9 2011, 07:14 PM) *

some webers have the port drilled, some only have the boss...
They can be drilled out and press in a tube...not to hard.

Rich

Thanks Rich,

I just checked and my carbs have tubes installed there which are plugged with a screw. Looks like I don't have any excuses for not switching to vacuum advance control.
gothspeed
Nice to hear smile.gif!

So you went from a centrifugal only dizzy to an 034 Vacumm dizzy and it runs better at idle and off idle? ........... beerchug.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 10 2011, 07:15 PM) *

Nice to hear smile.gif!

So you went from a centrifugal only dizzy to an 034 Vacumm dizzy and it runs better at idle and off idle? ........... beerchug.gif

Better overall advance curve also.
If you read the article on aircooled.net....he talks about the benefits.

Rich
jaxdream
VW type ones had a similar problem running the 009 , flat spot of idle. That's why some of the old time bug guys run a dizzy with vaccum advance to ease the off idle transision . I had a 72 SB with a 009 , pertronix , and never could get the off idle to be smooth. I even adjusted the accelarator pump rod to give more juice . If I run carbs , duals , singles or what ever , there will be a vaccum advance / dual advance dizzy in there . IMHO...

Jack / Jaxdream
NJ914Guy
Correct. My 009 was doing the job but off idle (especially when cold) and part throttle application are now much better.
gothspeed
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 10 2011, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 10 2011, 07:15 PM) *

Nice to hear smile.gif!

Better overall advance curve also.
If you read the article on aircooled.net....he talks about the benefits.

Rich

Yup, I bought an 034 SVDA last year for my 'in progress' 2056. There were a few timing articles I referenced in NJ914Guy's previous dizz thread, which pretty much made the 034 SVDA a no brainer. sunglasses.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=115722&hl=
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.