Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unfair business practices CCR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thorshammer
Let me first say that I am a very patient man. I have been in motorsports for well over 25 years. My background is in IMSA, SCCA, AMA, FIM World Superbike and FIM GP racing. I include this information so you may properly judge that I have not fallen off the turnip truck yesterday and am experienced and reasonable.

I must warn all of my fellow Porsche owners of the business practices of Armando Arroyo JR. DBA as CCR/ Custom Crankshaft Repair 612 So. Railroad Ave. San Mateo, CA 94401 650-364-1747/650-342-0568.

Many of you know I asked for help from fellow teeners including Brad to exert some influence on my behalf about two months ago. I appreciate all of your efforts, but this matter has not been resolved.

On November 12th 2003 I sent a 2.0 liter "S" 911 crank to CCR to be race prepped. Magnaflux, turn rod journals, Nitride, lighten,Balance, and cross drilled. Cost Quoted was 650.00. Contact with Armando 1st week in December, the crank passed magnaflux and inspection, the work was agreed on and would begin.

Jan 10, Armando called and the crank was done and the bill was 865.00 with 3 day shipping. We discussed the change in price, but he seemed reasonable. What the heck, I needed the crank. Sent 865.00 check to Armando via Express Mail, the check cleared my bank on 1/26/04.

Feb 10, 2004 I called him, has'nt had a chance to ship it out. Said he would, 3 day shipping (which I paid for already). Feb 20 I call and left a message, no call back. Finally reach him on March 3 he gives me a tracking number and says the side clearance on number two journal is excessive and to check it when I receive the crank. (WTF over did'nt he inspect the F---ing thing in November Was'nt I told it was done for two months at this point, now it has a problem with the side clearance) . I waited 3 more days and checked the tracking number with UPS, FEd EX Roadway, Airborn etc. UPS tracking number. Oh, so sorry! No known tracking number in the UPS system, even called UPS to find out if they had anything picked up from his address and being shipped to mine, NO!.

Since March 3 I have left several messages, no response. Two separate individuals have stopped by his place to inquire about the crank. One person held what was supposed to be my crank in his hands half completed, with a promise that it would be shipped 2 days later next day air shipping (April 6th 2004)
Guess what? No crank. I am cranky and crankless at this point and starting the laborious process of the legal system. My race motor sits without a major piece that I have paid for. And the season has started without me.

BEWARE of this business and it practices, the owner lies, commits fraud, and steals from his customers. I emplore you to find an alternative crank grinder.

On another note, does anyone have a 2.2-2.4 liter 6 for sale or a 2.0 "S" crank from which I can start again.

I am not a vindictive person, but do not want anyone else to suffer at the hands of this man. Beware!
Thanks for your time reading this, Maybe I saved you from the experience. fighting19.gif

Erik Madsen
Lakeville, MA
4WheelDrifter
Wow, good luck getting this settled. I hate crap like this. Makes me think bad thoughts of what I'd do in this situation. :finger2: to CCR
Mark Henry
That sucks mad.gif and that's fraud.

WTF "the side clearance on number two journal is excessive and to check it when I receive the crank." ohmy.gif
My guy would tell me that in 1 or 2 days and BEFORE he did the job!!!! NO CHARGE!

Call the cops!
Thorshammer
I called them, they say it is a civil matter, which I am trying to take care of from 3300 miles away. But its very difficult for small claims court because you have to show up, so I am going to spend 5-600 to fly there to recoup 865 plus the cost of the crank, I wonder if I can file for the airline flight cost too??

Erik
Mark Henry
Keep records of everything! I mean everything!

Write down the dates you called, cancelled cheques, plane fare, hotel, meals and whatever.

Find out if he's still in business (or not on the verge of bankruptcy) before you go to far though. Getting a judgement is one thing, collecting another.

I don't know how it works in Cali, but here in Ontario, Canada you can claim up to $10,000 in small claims court.
Targa
Man, mad.gif

I was not aware of this situation. Let me see if there is anything I can do to help. This guy is one block away from my office. Will pay him a visit TODAY!
Jeff Bonanno
go get em, malchik!
TimT
Odd.... we have used CCR for years...and not had any problems..

fom basic reconditioning to rewelding journals, offset grinding

Grinding 930 cranks for NASCAR type bearings...

As a matter of fact we just got a crank back from CCR we sent out in late Feb I think with the understanding this crank wasnt a rush job..

sucks what your going through
Brad Roberts
Right now Armando has about 17 messages on his answering machine according to my count.

B << still trying to reach him.

B
TimT
Right now Armando has about 17 messages on his answering machine according to my count.

dunno whats up.. we havent sent him any cranks since mid winter...... cant say what happened since ...

just we havent had any problems with CCR..Ill keep this in mind next time we have cranks that need to be machined..
Brad Roberts
Late breaking info:

New kid born within the last few weeks. Cant get a hold of him.

B
TimT
Well its kind of a relief for me... as I mentioned we have been satisfied, and used Armando for quite some time... still its sucks for Erik..
Brad Roberts
We will figure it out. Varik spoke with some of his shop neighbors today after this post. I have left a few messages.

B
Thorshammer
Guys,

Thanks for your help. I also have done business with Armando in the past. Have done probably 4-5 cranks with him in the past 5 years. Always Paid by check and always sent money Next day air or express mail. He does good work, just can't understand the fuck job on this crank?? Sorry about the language. Being a father myself I understand the new pressures, but 7 months, and 5 of it he has my money. Come on ! If the thing comes now it will probably be absolute shite 'cause I am busting his ass.

Thanks Again,

Erik
Targa
Just spoke with Armando in person. He said that he called you Erik and left a messege. He also gave me a receipt slip and I can fax it to you. My scanner is not working right now otherwise I would e-mail it to you.

V
Thorshammer
Working from the house this week. No phone call. Have caller ID, no phone call. What does the slip say? Thanks for your work. Be interesting if this actually gets settled. Armando never called. Pathalogical (sp) is the term that comes to mind. ar15.gif

Erik
Thorshammer
Oh,

Yes he did leave a message on my cell phone? Said the rod bearing clearance on one journal needed to be checked, but that the crank was done, Heard that one before about 2 months ago. Did not say it was shipped or give me another tracking number, be Lucky if I get a crank that is useable, but we'll see.

Erik
Targa
You will be lucky if you get a crank that is usable. Armando said he would ship the crank to you but he might have to source another crank because he already nitrited the crank before realizing the clearance issue. The slip is a shop repair order receipt detailing everything done and cost's. Hopefully, he has sent it out by now. Armondo is a really nice guy and has a nice clean shop and seems honest. I think rich @ HPH has been using him for years. He used to work with Dema Elgin @Super Lobes until he opened his own shop.

V
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.