Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Familiar teener on the bay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
Hi folks!

Just figured it was my civic duty to tell what I know of this car.

Now.. I certainly don't want to offend anyone if its their car, and with all due respect, it has been over a year since I saw this car. There is a chance that extensive work has been done to it... but I still see familiar things.

I rented a trailer, and drove all the way to East Cincinnati (from St. Louis) a little over a year ago, cash in pocket, to buy this car. A silver flared car, GT bumbers, and a whale-tail spoiler.

When I arrived, I discoverd that the owner was really a junkyard owner, and this was one of his many POS's. The "owner" never actually showed up, probably because he so highly misrepresented this car.

Notice the "wire" coming out of the back bumper.. that was the "pull-cord" drilled through the car to get the rear trunk open. There were porsche and 914 emblems drilled into the bumper tops. The paint was not silver.. it was 1 step above grey primer. The flares are fiberglass, and shittily put on, you can see the bad bondo job on all 4 corners.

The engine was COVERED in trash, leaves, water, rust, and all sorts of other shit. Once one of the toothless, overall-wearing junkyard workers pumped up 2 of the tires, and it took about 20 minutes to get it started. It was LOUD. The guy tried to convince me that it was a performance exhaust... but after inspection of the underside, I discovered that the exaust was loud because it was more NOT there than it was there (severe rust holes). It had a 4-tip exhaust, so it looks like that may have been changed.. but I can still see the rear trunk WAY out of whack.

Worst part... NOT ONE SINGLE panel on the entire car lined up. Not the doors, not the trunks (broken latches, bent hinges), not the bumpers.... NOTHING. The car looked like it was pieced together by a crackhead in a rush for his next fix..... this is in addition to the shitty bondo-job on the flares.

With all due respect, the interior wasn't too bad at all. Not original, but pretty nice.

Again.. Perhaps the guy that bought it (after I left that place in a fit of rage after a 7 hour drive) has done EXTENSIVE work on it..... but judging from close inspection of the pics.. doesn't look like it.

Use your best judgement... I'm just trying to help a potential buyer out.

Matt

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2477049702&rd=1
ninefourteener
Upon closer inspection.... I realized a couple of things that MAY have been done. Just trying to be fair.

I believe the euro turn signals are new

The front bumper WAS silver.. perhaps it was removed, repainted, and reinstalled better than it was before? I dunno.

The Rivieras were painted to look like 5-lug cookie cutters..... they aren't.

The whale tail was removed

Other than that.. doesn't look like the car has changed much. I noticed he didn't post pics of the engine... be afraid.. be very afraid.

Matt
tat2dphreak
kinda cool seats though biggrin.gif
dflesburg
My thoughts...

1. Black Goo inside the fender wells.... Hides Rust

2. 916 front bumper not painted.

3. Who painted them there wheels?

4. That interior looks like something out of the movie "Shaft"

lol
ninefourteener
Damn..... it's up to $3300 already.

This was a $1000 car at BEST when I saw it.. I hope this guy has done a lot of work to it.
ruddyboys
I think the interior would look great with nice shag carpet and a disco ball hanging from the rear view mirror
Pnambic
Slightly off-topic, but why don't you see more teeners with the 916 bumpers? Personal Preference? Cost? What do they cost? Personally, I think I like the look better.
confused24.gif
Scott S
Mine has them. When I was having the car painted I only planned on doing touch ups. I eneded up having the whole car sprayed - but didn't have the time to pull off the blended bumpers (done by the PO). I would love to get rid of mine - next paint job out comes the hammer and chisle.....
serge914
Mine also has a 916 front bumper and I am planning to downgrade it to a chrome one.
My opinion is that it give an unhappy face to the front.
ninefourteener
Don't ask me how I can say this.. considering the "snow plow" I've got on the front of my car...

But I always thought the GT bumpers kinda make it look "less" like a 914.

Kinda like a honda civic (used only as an example). You can add tint, wheels, neon, rear spoilers.. and numbers of other ricey stuff... but it's still a Civic.

Start putting on body kits? Then it no longer looks like a Civic.... it's lost it's "Civicness"

Same with a 914. I've never been a big fan Chalon Kits, GT bumpers, or even flares that much (although if done correctly, they look nice).... I guess it just takes away from what a 914 was supposed to look like.

Just my opinion, what the hell do I know?
Scott S
GT bumpers look the same as stock, less the air inlet for the oil cooler. The 916 bumpers are the more body kit looking bumper.
I love flared cars, to me there is no tenner as pretty as the street GT "471" optioned car. I am not a fan of spoilers however (I do like the factory 2.0 LE spoiler) and my absolute least favorite is a 916 bumper that has not been made functional (where the fog lights and oil cooler intake have not been cut out).

One of these days I will re-paint so I can get rid of those damn bumpers. Besides, I have always wanted a conda green car anyway. Love green 914's for some reason - way cool and not as common.

I would love to flair and 5 bolt your car 914'er!!!
anthony
Looks like a rattle-can paint job.

Those diamond tuck seats would look good in a '72 Impala!
ninefourteener
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ May 7 2004, 01:04 PM)

I would love to flair and 5 bolt your car 914'er!!!

Sure.. you just let me know when you're ready to do it, and I'll drop it off for ya!!

You're paying for it right?? LMAO

beerchug.gif
ninefourteener
QUOTE(anthony @ May 7 2004, 04:51 PM)
Looks like a rattle-can paint job.

A rattle can job at BEST.

I saw this car in person..... I'm not kidding when I tell you it looked primered, not painted
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.