Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: terrible day, need to vent :)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
started off the morning by deciding to finally redrill my rear brake rotors for my "strange" 4x100bc, drilled first hole, then I noticed a funny smell and smoke come out of the spindle motor for my small mill....motor decides to go kaput on me....I grab an extra electric motor I have, wrong shaft size, wrong mounting base, only one direction...

throw rotor on drill press, drill the remaining holes, now the more I look at the rotor, the less I want to use it...talk about piss poor planning, the new holes end up breaking thru into the large 3.54 diameter center hole....I don't feel comfortable at all with this setup...I wanted to sooner or later go with some custom rear rotors and calipers, now I am pretty much forced to do it now...the big pisser is that if I do the rear, I have to do the front since the available rear calipers are bigger than stock and will totally screw up the balance

not too sure how I am going to break this to the wife, the cost is going to be ugly...

and now for the really great news....about an hour ago, I broke an exhaust stud....now it's time to drill out the stud, helicoil and replace....this is how I f'd up my car 2 years ago which led me to "snap"...luckly, i am not as stressed and just shrugged my shoulders...it is not worth getting all bent out of shape about it...fix it, move on smash.gif

is it too early to beer3.gif till I pass out wacko.gif
seanery
bummer...have a beer.
Bruce Allert
Well... at least the engine is out & you don't have to lay under it whilst ya drill wink.gif I was a bit luckier. Mine just stripped so I could redrill bigger & helicoil it.

Sorry to hear of the bad luck Mike. Isn't this #3? so yer done with the bad & every thing will go as planned, right? pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

Keeping mah fingers crossed fer ya wavey.gif

.....b
Joe Bob
Bummer.....my day started out hectic as well .....took a run to the dump with my crappy rusty POS trailer....did the deed and took it up to 100 while acclerating briskly onto the freeway...... biggrin.gif

Stopped of at Costco and was going to pick up my worker/helper, when I hit a speed bump at 15mph........FUCKINGBOOM........ unsure.gif the rear axle seperated from the frame of the trailer......the tire came in contact with a sharp edge of the fender and exploded......whole axle got sideways dragging me to a stop.........

SO.....after cleaning the brown stain, I went home and was able to get the broken exhaust stud to release with MAPP gas and Kroil.....Manfred is about ready to get the motor.....

Frankie got the 2.2 in for fitment, the roof on my garage got torn off, 1/2 way redone on the 2x12 double ups....the guy that fell thru the drywall didn't kill himself, only bruised his ass.....so at least he and I ain't dead.....geez, what a bad time to give up Heroin....

confused24.gif
Gint
Hey Mike, Didya consider just throwin some used stock bits on it just to get it going instead dickin around with the fancy-schmansy shit? The exhaust stud is nothin...
Mueller
Hey Mike, Didya consider just throwin some used stock bits on it just to get it going instead dickin around with the fancy-schmansy shit? The exhaust stud is nothin...

I am trying just to throw it together with the stock stuff...the wheels are the only non-stock item right now, just a few more problems than i had expected with them.

Just installed the dash smile.gif , i had to do some minor trimming due to the roll cage...now it's time to hook up the gauges and stare at the wiring mess for an hour before I figure out what goes where, LOL
Dave_Darling
Hmm, I may have some spare rotors around here somewhere... Argh, no time to find them though!!

--DD
ppickerell
Mike,
If you need any machining done, bring the stuff over and I can fix you up.
patrick
EdwardBlume
about an hour ago, I broke an exhaust stud....now it's time to drill out the stud, helicoil and replace....this is how I f'd up my car 2 years ago which led me to "snap"...luckly, i am not as stressed and just shrugged my shoulders...it is not worth getting all bent out of shape about it...fix it, move on  

Zen and the art of 914 maintenance. biggrin.gif
Red-Beard
I spent 2 hours trying to figure out why I had no power in the 914...

The PO or the PPO or the PPPO installed a new 12 wire which you have to slip under the nut when you install the battery cable on the + terminal...

Yup, missed it...
L8Apex
Mike,

I'm not a big fan of helicoils, so I'd recommend using time-serts. They are much better. Go check them out.
SLITS
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ May 8 2004, 05:06 PM)
Mike, the ONLY reason I still own a 914 is I refused to let it beat me...my thought was if I can fix heavy fixed wing jets, I can correct any problem a 914 can send my way. I have been a mechanic for 22 years, and I let nothing suprise me, I just count on the worst, and do my best to make the repair happen correctly, whether it's a 747 or a 914, so hang in there. You will win.

Hmmmmmmm <_< The 747 thing is really scarey.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.