Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Over the counter degreaser suggestions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Tonight I am going at my transmission (it is sitting on a furniture dolly). My only tools are garden hose, some scrapers and some wire brushes. The bottom is very clean, it is the top that is a mess. I want to just use the low pressure garden hose to avoid any internal contamination. Was curious what peoples opinions are on an over the counter degreaser, as I only have access to an Autozone or an Oreily's on the way down to the shop tonight - nothing fancy.

Thanks!
Scott S
yeahmag
Oil Eater or Simple Green. Then add some Ez-Off oven cleaner to get the baked on stuff. In theory you need to coat the trans with paint or something to keep it from oxidizing after it is clean.

-Aaron
Jeffs9146
Awesome at the $ store is totaly Awesome!!
rick 918-S
Scott, I use a spray gun with mineral spirits in it. Use a parts cleaning brush and poke at it while you spray. Crap fly's everyplace but it cleans up nice and fast. Oh and it will ruin your grass. evilgrin.gif AND Your wife WILL give you the look dry.gif
pcar916
Simple Green is an outstanding water-based cleaner and won't mess with the surface much but mineral spirits is a good solvent to use as well. But the latter leaves the surface bare unprotected. This is a time-consuming thing to do while the transaxle is still together.

Places to avoid spraying water into. In other words, Spray with the SG bottle and wipe/brush/scrape
- Vent hole
- the input shaft
- output flange seals
- shift seals (tail or side shifter)
- speedo-drive hole

This all works better when the trans is warm. There are a bunch of threads here on cleaning and coating magnesium.

Good luck
r_towle
This is the strongest stuff I found that is water based.
http://www.superclean.com/products

a word of caution...wear goggles and crappy clothes.
The spray hose will shoot water back at you no matter where you stand...

Rich
TheCabinetmaker
I like purple power too.
benalishhero
Yep purple power or pink stuff.......
Cap'n Krusty
If you use any of that purple cleaner, and possibly other strong products, BE SURE you have more-than-adequate ventilation. I'm thinkin' like a box fan set on medium or high blowing all over you and the work while you're doing it. I didn't, and I almost had to visit the ER. It's BAD stuff! BTW, I was working outdoors!

The Cap'n
Scott S
Thanks all! beerchug.gif

Oh, and Rick, I could crap gold bars and diamonds all day long, every day, and she would still be giving me "that look" dry.gif
Ha!
Ferg
I like the Oil Eater stuff they sell at costco, that with my steamer would make quick work, you wanna borrow it?

Ferg
Scott S
Thanks a million Ferg. I will see how it all goes tonight. If it goes bad, I will drop you a line for sure.

Thanks again!
MoveQik
QUOTE(Ferg @ Apr 14 2011, 02:52 PM) *

I like the Oil Eater stuff they sell at costco, that with my steamer would make quick work, you wanna borrow it?

Ferg

What kind of steamer do you have?
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 14 2011, 02:54 PM) *

If you use any of that purple cleaner, and possibly other strong products, BE SURE you have more-than-adequate ventilation. I'm thinkin' like a box fan set on medium or high blowing all over you and the work while you're doing it. I didn't, and I almost had to visit the ER. It's BAD stuff! BTW, I was working outdoors!

The Cap'n

Strange, Been using it for years. I use it full strength and never had that problem. Maybe your just alergic to it? However, it doesn't like rubber.
Ferg
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 14 2011, 02:03 PM) *

Ferg

What kind of steamer do you have?

I forgot the brand, will have to check tonight. Looks like this...

Gint

Ferg
agree.gif +1 on Costco, Oil Eater

...and, Ferg, I want to borrow your steamer.
brant
ferg,
I don't have a costco membership.
but I want a bottle of that oil-eater some time
can I give you some cash when your shopping anyways to pick me up one.

MartyYeoman
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 14 2011, 01:34 PM) *

This is the strongest stuff I found that is water based.
http://www.superclean.com/products
Rich

agree.gif

Just remember to change that gear oil afterwords.
Gint
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 14 2011, 04:54 PM) *
ferg,
I'll get you one Brant. It's on my way home.
brant
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 14 2011, 06:44 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Apr 14 2011, 04:54 PM) *
ferg,
I'll get you one Brant. It's on my way home.

don't make a special trip though
tell me what I owe you and I'll get you the moola$
Ferg
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 14 2011, 03:07 PM) *

Ferg
agree.gif +1 on Costco, Oil Eater

...and, Ferg, I want to borrow your steamer.

No problem.
euro911
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Apr 14 2011, 01:17 PM) *
Oil Eater or Simple Green. Then add some Ez-Off oven cleaner to get the baked on stuff. In theory you need to coat the trans with paint or something to keep it from oxidizing after it is clean. -Aaron
They're easier to keep clean after they're painted too biggrin.gif
davep
A wheel bolt in place of the vent will help keep crap out of the guts. Just be sure to carefully clean around the vent before removal.
sww914
I don't have a parts washer at my shop. I'll scrub the really dirty parts with solvent in a big tray and then Purple Power and then steam clean them. If they're not very bad I skip the solvent.
Scott S
So I picked up some simple green, some purple stuff and an assortment of small wire brushes. Sprayed and scrubbed for two hours. My case was only dirty on the top and in the areas that are unseen behind the muffler. After two hours, I was a mess, and I was not at all pleased with the results. I wiped the thing down and dried it off as best I could, then put back on the shelf. I puttered around on other cars for the next few hours. As I went to leave, I was shocked at what I saw! Other than some of the depest darkest crevices, the transmission looked damn good. When it fully dried, it was a nice clean/dull/dark silver. I'ts like the mag case was a sponge that held water and kept it looking dark and dirty (especially in the failing light as the sun went down). I figure another hour or so spot cleaning and I will be all set. Very pleased. Thanks again for the product suggestions!
beerchug.gif
Gint
I'd rinse that really well Scotty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.