Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '75 Heater Fan Parts and Hook Up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
euro911
I didn't get a complete car when I bought my '75. Have acquired most of what was needed, but I'm finally trying to get heat into the car (just in time for summer, good timing, eh?) finding out a few heating items are needed.

This is what it looked like when purchased

Click to view attachment
euro911
I recently disassembled the fan, cleaned and painted it, ready to install it.

Click to view attachment

It only has a single outlet (unlike the one on my wife's '71 - with two outlets) and I don't know if it uses a 'Y' connector to get fan air into the two j-tubes? confused24.gif
AndyB
IIRC later MY 75-76 had the Y connectors added again. Mine is an earlier MY 75 and doesnt have it. I know they are available from the usual places. Hope this helps.
type47
I think MY75-76 did have the "Y" for hoses to both sides of the motor but will defer to experts as I can't tell from the PET 202-15 about the blower motor and hoses. At the good Dr's site you probably could find some diagrams of the parts and info in their catalog...
jim_hoyland
Mark,

I see the Y connectors sold at the G & R almost every year. I removed my heather fan after installing SS heat exchangers. Within 2 minute of starting and pulling back on the red heater lever, heat coming into the cabin. Doesn't leak when closed.
SLITS
Factory decided it didn't need both exchangers, so they went to a single feed. Splitter is available to feed both of them.
76-914
So you only need one, huh? No wonder mine works so well. Yes, they do have a splitter that mounts on the fan shroud, itself. Contrary to Jim's car mine does not leak warm air into the cabin.
Sleepin
The 75 and 76 exhaust was just that much more efficient. rolleyes.gif

Plenty of heat just using one side though.
jim912928
my 75 had the Y connector. Should be able to get one on here if you do a WTB in classifieds...just saw one on ebay also....here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...es#ht_500wt_749
euro911
The famous 'Bat Mobile' has early style S/S H/E, hence two j-tubes. I thought about only hooking up one side and capping off the other, but I remember someone else telling me that it could cause overheating on the capped side.

Thanks for all the input ... I'll keep me eyes open for a 'Y' at G&R
Sleepin
Let me know Mark, iffin you really need one and if I can find my extra, it is yours. beerchug.gif popcorn[1].gif
Drums66
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 14 2011, 11:14 PM) *

I recently disassembled the fan, cleaned and painted it, ready to install it.

It only has a single outlet (unlike the one on my wife's '71 - with two outlets) and I don't know if it uses a 'Y' connector to get fan air into the two j-tubes? confused24.gif

....Excellent detail job on the fan!
thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif (did they come like that ?lol)
bye1.gif
Dave_Darling
The 70-72 fan has two separate outlets, on opposite sides of the shroud.

The 73-74 fan has a single outlet, which was ducted to the left-side exchanger only. The top of the J-tube on the right side was capped off with a plastic cap and a hose clamp.

The 75-76 fan has a single outlet, but that outlet has a Y fitting on it. The outlet replaces the part you can see in the photo that has a square inlet and a round outlet; on the later fans it has two round outlets.

It sounds like early 75s used the 73-74 style of fan, which presumably means the right side J-tube is capped off. You can do that pretty easily (I think a spray paint cap fits well) as a permanent solution or as a temporary one until you get the Y.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.