Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Dizzy with Carbs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
To many choices with the mallory at ACN...

Help me make the right choices please...

Rich
machina
i got the mallory #4554101

It is not the vacum advance model, uses different color springs to adjust advance. Jake likes this one but others prefer the one with vacum.

dr
skline
I just used an 050, worked great.
Jake Raby
worked great compared to what...

The 050 is the bottom of my list for good dizzies, they rub at zero-2 degrees to get 28 full... so most guys jack them to 32 full to get a decent idle and then they overadvance the top end and fry the heads because it feels faster.

Nothing beats a mallory, got the p;lots to prove it, and the ones to prove that an 050 is the laziest thing on the planet at idle.
When the camshaft changes the issues with the 050 are made worse, as the valve timing cahenges you can run 11-14 degrees of iniotial advance and the car will run better akll around and produce 25% more power in the advance curve.

I have a mallory in everything I own, even my Chevy truck that we tow stuff with- AWESOME
SpecialK
Okay Jake....To vacuum, or not to vacuum?
MattR
How about the mallory versus the Aircooled.net SVDA distributor? Is it really worth the 180 on a tight budget? I dont want to be stupid and get a bad dizzy and rob my horsepower, but if its just a slight difference at xxxx rpm, then I dont mind.
Jake Raby
The SVDA is not nearly as adjustable.... It still uses the stock cap with cloely positioned contacts, and must use a pertronix or other "toy" replacement to get rid of the points.

Mallory.
skline
Well, I went with teh 050 because that is what everyone here said to use when I bought it. The car is sold now so its not my problem anymore. The bird board said the same thing. It was about 2 years ago when I needed it.
tommy914
What is a good source for the Mallory?
lapuwali
Aircooled.net is a good source. However, right this second, it appears to be nearly impossible to get the non-vac Mallory from any of the usual vendors, including Aircooled.net. Mallory is apparently taking their time shipping them out to their retailers. I've had one on order for nearly a month.
Jake Raby
I have zero in stock and am dead in the water.. cannot even dyno any engines...
machina
call sam at century performance. He can deliver.

dr

http://www.centuryperformance.com
Jake Raby
Nope, he's been out for a month..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.