Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What needs to be machined
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914curt
If I was going to decide to rebuild this engine of mine what parts do i have to send ot the machine shop, and where is a good place t send it ot to. i think that i am going to tear it down and rebuild it, start over that way i know what i have not guessing at everything because i don't know what the last guy did.

Curt
URY914
Is it a -4 or -6?
If it is a -4 go to www.shoptalkforums.com for all your engine needs.

If it is a -6 get a copy of Bruce Anderson's book or Wayne's book at Pelican Parts for all the details.

Not that people here can't help you, but these will give you a starting point and hours of reading pleasure and than come back with more questions.
Brad Roberts
Curt,

Most of us buy new pistons/cylinders

Your crank may or may not need turning (I normally have them micro polished)

Your rods will need to be resized on the large end and rebushed on the small end (this is fairly inexpensive and cheap insurance)

I have the case inspected (main bearings saddles are starting to show wear in 60% of the cases we have pulled apart) and the rear main bearings holders are showing wear.

Heads: I have a fresh set of rebuilt 1.8 heads that I had done for 350$ (for sale) with new springs keepers the whole enchilada.

Balance the entire rotating and reciprocating assembly (normally 100$ or so)

New cam and lifters (200$ from WebCam)

Honestly.. I wouldnt rebuild a 1.8 unless it was going into a 1.8 concourse car (which I would never build)

Buy a core 2.0 (like the one listed here for 700$ complete) and rebuild a 2.0. The price runs very close to the same for rebuilding a 1.8 as it does a 2.0

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.