Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iiibdsiil
Okay, let's see where to being.

I have a 901 box. Side shifter.

Gears:
1st: almost always works, pops out occasionally. I don't use it enough though.

2nd: been being a real bitch as of today. More often than not, it will not go in. Not going in defined as in like hitting a brick wall. Just refuses, although sometimes on multiple, read more than 5 attempts in a row, will it drop in. Pops out very very very rarely.

3rd: Been a bitch for about 2.5 months. Pops out a lot. More often than not, it will not go in. Refer to definition under 2nd gear. When 2nd works today, 3rd works most of the time, but not guranteed, and seems to be getting more towards not working when 2nd is working, most of the time.

4th: My baby. Always works no matter what. Although when I down shift with clutch fully pushed down, it grinds bad going near and into third. 3rd probably needs synchro, huh?

5th: Don't use much either, even on the highway. It's a flipped 3rd, H. Was a real good gear, just about a month ago it decided it didn't want to go in the first one or two tries. It would grind, and pop out, or not even go in, just grind.

I am beginning to think it has something to do with the /6 mount I have. It is the Patrick bar, and I know people have had problems with those. It almost seems like the motor is like resting on the shift rod. I think that maybe the rod it getting jammed up somewhere outside of the tranny. But, I also don't believe that. Lol. Like, maybe there is tension on the rod, and it is pulling the tranny out of gear.

The bushings between the firewall and the tranny were replaced about 5 months ago, I did them personally, before I bought the car.

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't know anything about the gear boxes, besides what the gear looks like. So, I could pull it apart, but I really don't want to if I don't have to.

It needs to be fixed internally now, because of the problem, just wondering if anyone has any ideas what it could be, and what not.

Thanks guys.

- Brett Smith
Kerrys914
Try this;

- Disconnect the shift rod from the shifter or tranny
- Remove the black plastic cover from the rear of the tranny linkage.
- From the rear (using the pivot linkage under the plastic cover) of the tranny, shift the tranny into 1st gear.

Test drive and see if it pops out of gear. If it doesn't you have a linkage problem. biggrin.gif
If it still pops out you have tranny problems. sad.gif

Hope this makes sence??

Cheers beerchug.gif
john rogers
I'd say check your motor and tranny mounts. When they tear or break you can get the symptoms you have.
iiibdsiil
How do I check the /6 mount. And if it is bad, how bad to replace?

- Brett Smith
iiibdsiil
QUOTE(Va914 @ May 10 2004, 09:13 PM)
Try this;

- Disconnect the shift rod from the shifter or tranny
- Remove the black plastic cover from the rear of the tranny linkage.
- From the rear (using the pivot linkage under the plastic cover) of the tranny, shift the tranny into 1st gear.

Test drive and see if it pops out of gear. If it doesn't you have a linkage problem. biggrin.gif
If it still pops out you have tranny problems. sad.gif

Hope this makes sence??

Cheers beerchug.gif

I like that idea. I will mess with it tomorrow, if I get an opportunity.

- Brett Smith
iiibdsiil
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention:

When I put it in gear, and can tell it is going to pop out, I can physically hold it in.

Not sure if that makes any difference.

- Brett Smith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.