Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust repair ROOKIE!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dinomium
Ok this is what a dime size rust hole is undernieth:
blowtorch.gif
dinomium
and now it looks like this: welder.gif
This is just above the well for your hand at the door handle...
ablose58
Not too shabby for a rookie, Dino. When do you want me to come over to do those u-tabs? sat. is open as of now! AL
red914
looks good! of course, now i am afraid to investigate the little bubble in the paint i have in exactly the same spot... sad.gif
DNHunt
Dino

That looks great. If you don't have to do too much it's kinda fun. Get's old when you keep finding more.

Is this the Gulf 914. Go Dino, Go. I can't wait to see that.

Dave
maf914
Okay, I guess I'm a dummy. What part are we looking at here?
TheCabinetmaker
below sail panel. above door handle cutout
914werke
smilie_pokal.gif I have to do that same thing..on both sides of the 73 mad.gif
Were the other trim holes equally rotted?
dinomium
Thanks, guys... It was only the one hole one the drivers' side. If I had to do it again, I might just replace the whole sail peice. I don't think it would be much harder and easier to line up!!
Too bad I have to work on the House Saturday so I can go to the PCA stuff on Sunday... such is life!
lol2.gif
thesey914
Nice job....I had a pro do mine as it seemed a bit tricky..your's looks just as good.
Gint
Great work!

looks good! of course, now i am afraid to investigate the little bubble in the paint i have in exactly the same spot...

If you have bubbles in your paint, DON'T mess with 'em unless you're ready to do rust repair. Because that is wht you'll find when you attack the bubble. I used to deceive myself... not anymore. I learned.
aircooledboy
I've got 2 spots exactly that size on an otherwise very clean car. You guys are REALLY bringin me down. blink.gif

Oh ya, BTW, very nice work. Only time I ever tried to weld a repair, it looked like a poorly trained chimp did it. smash.gif
dinomium
Thanks, guys... it really isnt that bad. I did work in a boat yard for two summers. I got some made GRINDER skillz!
But if you arent ready to cut it out, then you got to leave it alone! You mom was right, if you pick at it, it will get infected!!!! happy11.gif
SpecialK
What is it about that location? huh.gif
I've got exactly the same rust problem on both sides that the PO attempted to repair. I'll have to cut it out and do what you did. welder.gif
Eric_Shea
Did you say something Kevin? blink.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Special_K @ May 12 2004, 07:14 PM)
What is it about that location? huh.gif

The factory, in it's infinite wisdom, filled the area with foam and covered that with a sealer.

After a few years the sealer delaminates from a small area (at first) of the bodywork and lets moisture into the foam. The foam holds onto the moisture and creates a perfect environment for iron oxide formation.

Most of the typical rust prone areas on our cars are where moisture resides after the undercoating or body schutz fails.
East coaster
Wow...........It must be drivers side rust bubble week! I just finished ice picking the bubble, cutting out the affected area and butt welding in a patch.

Your repair looks very good, you're lucky you didn't have to go into the handle recess area like I did. Thank God for MIG, if you torch this area (or TIG) you'll have to deal with the brass the factory used in the area around the vent hole. With MIG it never got hot enough to disturb the brass.

Since we're playing I'll show mine if you show me your's, here's mine>>>>>>
thesey914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 12 2004, 03:24 PM)
Did you say something Kevin? blink.gif

biggrin.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif ....Yeah I couldn't tear my eyes away from that ass either....
Eric_Shea
Here's mine...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.