Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hidden Stereo System
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clapeza
Saw this on EvilBay, and was wondering if anyone has tried this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hidden-iPod...sQ5fAccessories

Woody's Custom Shop sells them, and they seem to have a decent reputation. Since I never listen to the radio, mainly just an iPod or Pandora, this might be a good solution.

Chester
windforfun
It doesn't put out enough power. You need a lot of power in a car, especially with an open top.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(windforfun @ Apr 18 2011, 02:55 PM) *

It doesn't put out enough power. You need a lot of power in a car, especially with an open top.

It claims 40 watts!
turnaround89
i think my cd player pumps out 45 watts to 4 speakers, seems like more than enough for my car. A neat solution, but i like my auxiliary input on my cd player
Tom_T
agree.gif & that's true with ANY audio system you're putting in a 914! They were made to hear the engine revs - NOT the stereo of any flavor/amps! biggrin.gif

That said, Woody's also sells a simpler & smaller solution with a 3.5mm jack that connects through the existing radio (via the antenna lead IIRC), which other Pcar folks have used around SoCal to maintain the vintage look of their babies' period correct radio sets, while being able to connect in auxiliary devices with this inconspicuous unit tucked away out of sight. BTW - Woody's is in Costa Mesa if you're local & want to save shipping.

See here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AM-Radio-iP...=item35b179659d

Otherwise look at their vintage look "modern" radios to keep the period look but have the ipod/MP3/etc. in the dash.
flipb
It's simpler than that, if you have a dealer-installed original radio. My Blaupunkt has a 7-pin DIN connection on the back.

There are several folks on eBay (and IIRC, somebody here on the board) who make/sell a 3.5mm-to-7-pin DIN cable. Just hook up your iPod (iPhone, mp3 player, etc.) directly.

I overpaid for one on eBay. It works, but the DIN connector is too bulky to fit well between the back of the radio and the front firewall, so it tends to loosen up.

clapeza
QUOTE(flipb @ Apr 18 2011, 04:54 PM) *

It's simpler than that, if you have a dealer-installed original radio. My Blaupunkt has a 7-pin DIN connection on the back.

There are several folks on eBay (and IIRC, somebody here on the board) who make/sell a 3.5mm-to-7-pin DIN cable. Just hook up your iPod (iPhone, mp3 player, etc.) directly.

I overpaid for one on eBay. It works, but the DIN connector is too bulky to fit well between the back of the radio and the front firewall, so it tends to loosen up.

Currently, my radio consists of a gaping hole in the dash, so I'll be starting completely from scratch. I figure I'll fill the hole with a plate, run dash material over the whole thing and hide this little amp under the dash.
windforfun
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Apr 18 2011, 01:17 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Apr 18 2011, 02:55 PM) *

It claims 40 watts!

That's probably peak & not rms. It's too small & not worth messing with. That's my opinion.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
aircooledtechguy
I've got a Left Coast Simple Stereo in my 914. It's perfect and is plenty loud enough. I'm no audiophile, but if you want tunes from your iPod ir other MP3 device AND want to charge it, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a more easy, simple and elegant solution.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Apr 20 2011, 05:17 PM) *

I've got a Left Coast Simple Stereo in my 914. It's perfect and is plenty loud enough. I'm no audiophile, but if you want tunes from your iPod ir other MP3 device AND want to charge it, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a more easy, simple and elegant solution.

Very cool!
BRAVE_HELIOS
I am using an amp made for motorcycle applications, mounted under the dash and connected with a 3.5mm cable. The cable sticks out of the center console and connects to my MP3 player or phone. I have a nice cover plate with a Porsche badge (from an old 944) in place of the radio. It looks great!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Apr 20 2011, 09:17 PM) *

$186 for that??? Really high. I could make a patch in for any small amp directly to an iPod for next to nothing. confused24.gif
turnaround89
Is that only good for 2 speakers, or can you plug more into it? I have four speakers in the 914 and love the sound that they produce. Cutting that in half would kind of blow
JmuRiz
...and you'd loose 3dB by halfing your number of speakers (using the same amount of watts)
Jeffs9146
You could add a high power to line level converter to the speaker outputs and run the lines to a crossover and then to any amp of any size to get what you want or need!

Or just run the line level to the amp and run it as is! I like the control of a cross over though!
turnaround89
im not worried so much about losing a dB level, im more concerned about a surround sound you can achieve from 4 speakers. One speaker in each corner of the car, makes for fairly good sound(mines set up with two 6.5 speakers up front and two 6x9s in the doors). Having only two speakers in the car to me, would seem to create the same affect as wearing one head phone in one ear and the other ear being open to the environment.
computers4kids
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=100916 some options
bandjoey
an option for using a stock radio.
Belkin FM transmitter for I stuff. Plugs into cig lighter and into iPhone or mp3. It scans for a free fm channel and broadcasts your music to the radio. I use it every day. Works great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.