Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stuck compression tester
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I have a compression tester stuck in Cyl 4 (one of the deep ones).

the rubber spins, but where it threads in is tight and won't thread out.

Any clue as to how to get the darned thing out? Without cutting the rubber to get a pair of needle nose pliers in there?

over 160 compression, so at least thats good. :-)

(turned out the cylinder was not firing due to a plugged idle jet. Which I had guessed. But I was curious about the compression. Something about killing a cat...)

Zach
scotty b
huh.gif
rick 918-S
Oh dude.... sad2.gif Wiggle it while you turn it. Or just cut the hose. dry.gif
Dr Evil
Zach =
balljoint
You guys are not helping.

Zach,

Just blow in the other end.

Or.

IPB Image
messix
unthread the hose at the gauge then use a spark plug socket in the hole then a larger socket over that. [some spark plug sockets have a hex nut on the end].
MDG
QUOTE(balljoint @ Apr 18 2011, 10:00 PM) *

You guys are not helping.

Zach,

Just blow in the other end.

Don't be an ass, Dave. Suck - don't blow.

Or a chopstick.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 18 2011, 08:39 PM) *

I have a compression tester stuck in Cyl 4 (one of the deep ones).

the rubber spins, but where it threads in is tight and won't thread out.

Any clue as to how to get the darned thing out? Without cutting the rubber to get a pair of needle nose pliers in there?

over 160 compression, so at least thats good. :-)

(turned out the cylinder was not firing due to a plugged idle jet. Which I had guessed. But I was curious about the compression. Something about killing a cat...)

Zach
160 lbs of compression?? Dome pistons? Pluged jet, think you told me about those! Bob
Dr Evil
Give this guy a call. He is a whiz with metal and getting it to do what he wants wink.gif
Dr Evil
Sorry, the previous pic was of him out of complete costume. You might have been thinking, "how is Matlock good with metal?" confused24.gif

Here he is, I bet you recognize him now. At the very least, you can stand next to the engine, raise your hand and try to command the piece out.
VaccaRabite
Was not able to get into the garage tonight (did not get home till late and its been pouring all day), so I will have to take a better look at it tomorrow.

Zach
tracks914
My guess, have someone crank the car over while you are trying to twist the hose loose. While the hose is under compression, there might be enough pressure on the joint to hold it to the base while you get it loose. As long as you are twisting during the compression stroke, you have a chance. (Although the threads will be tighter too you might just get it.)
Other than that....cut it.
Mike Bellis
Pull the head off and you can unscrew it from the combustion chamber biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Honestly, that is the most sensible approach smile.gif Dont forget to remove the gas tank first!
messix
ASSHATS
jcambo7
QUOTE(messix @ Apr 19 2011, 10:20 PM) *

ASSHATS

agree.gif Who let them out of their office?
sww914
Come on Zach, I'm anxious for you to resolve this. Don't be a quitter. smile.gif
Is it raining inside your garage?
VaccaRabite
It's on my hitlist for tonight. Mike's jealous that I have at least the possibility of driving something cool to Hershey. The rest of y'all are just mean.

Zach
r_towle
you could go to Kmart and buy a deep socket, then drill it out so it fits over the hose...that might do it.

Rich
tod914
If it's spinning from the compressor side, maybe try dropping the motor and turning it instead. In theory, it should work. Good luck Zach. You probally wouldn't want to use it again anyway, maybe snipping it so you can get some needle nose to get in there to grip it might be easiest.
VaccaRabite
I cut the hose, jammed down a pair of needle nose pliers, and turned that bitch out.

Car is idling again. :^)

Tomorrow wife and child are going to be out, and I will get it balanced. There is a chance to make Hershey yet. :-0

Zach
r_towle
getting pissed off always works...

RIch
r_towle
nada
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.