Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do your visors ever fall down?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
This is not where your visor belongs but it is where I threw mine when it would come off:

Click to view attachment

This is cheap, simple and takes <20mins start to finish. I used a 1/16" bit and drilled thru the outer visor clip with the plastic pin in place. Be sure the pin is pushed completely into the post before drilling. Drill at an upward angle. NOTE: the center post will be drilled at a downward angle and the nail will be pushed in from the front, instead of the back.

Click to view attachment

Here is the nail pushed thru the hole from the back side with the head on the "top" so it will not fall thru. The nail will not slide or work it's way out at this angle.

Click to view attachment

At this point I cut the end off the nail w/ side cutters then remove the nail and file it down enough to fit flush then dip the ends in black paint or use a Marks-a-lot (my favorite).

Click to view attachment
Then re-insert the nail with the plastic pin still in place. Once the nail is in place, slide the visor back onto it's plastic pin. This is actually the psg side and it isn't black, yet.

Click to view attachment

Now take your needle nose pliers and slide the inner visor pin into the center post, When it is seated in the post drill at a downward angle as shown:

Click to view attachment

This is a shot looking up at the center post with one nail clipped and the other full length:

Click to view attachment

When your finished it will never show unless u CC it lol-2.gif In closing; the size of bit doesn't matter as long as it is small and the nail you will be using fits the hole tightly. I picked the nail first and used a bit that was correct for that size nail. I suppose you could use a paper clip piece and a #60 bit if you wanted it to be tiny. Any angle works. The more accute the angle, the more difficult the job. Be sure the plastic pin is seated and that you drill at a halfway point. Since I've done this I no longer over tighten the ever living dog shit out of my visors, hoping that they will stay in place. With the pins properly seated and staked the visors cannot slide off. Now they are just snug enough to operate smoothly.

Click to view attachment

IronHillRestorations
Good solution, but next time get a roll pin they hold better than finishing nails. Our 914 friend Brad Mayeur has been doing the roll pin trick for years.
76-914
QUOTE(9146986 @ Apr 19 2011, 05:11 AM) *

Good solution, but next time get a roll pin they hold better than finishing nails. Our 914 friend Brad Mayeur has been doing the roll pin trick for years.

LOL. Roll pin was my 1st choice but I didn't have any. I usually work with whatever I have on hand so the nail was "it". BTW, what keeps the roll pins from working themselves loose as I can't see them holding well in plastic?
tradisrad
Hmm, the pins in my sun visors are metal I dont think this will work that well for me. Good idea though.
IronHillRestorations
A roll pin has some spring qualities to it, so the hole for the pin is fractionally smaller to make a good friction fit. For the metal pins you've got to drill them on a press.
jeffdon
One of my visors has a slightly different issue. The pin is pushed way into the visor, and i cannot work it out. Any clue how to draw it back out? I am thinking a dab of JB weld in the socket on the bracket would work well too.
76-914
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Apr 19 2011, 11:00 AM) *

One of my visors has a slightly different issue. The pin is pushed way into the visor, and i cannot work it out. Any clue how to draw it back out? I am thinking a dab of JB weld in the socket on the bracket would work well too.

You could use a small screw threaded into it to pull it out. Or, remove the visor and opposite pin; I think you might be able to carefully push it thru from the other side.
IronHillRestorations
You should be able to feel that pin through the vinyl, and push it back into place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.