Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great tool for creating air flow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
I've been trying to figure ways to get more air into my new front cooler without completely hacking up the front end. My friend Mark, who has every tool known to mankind - as well as several that have yet to be invented - turned me on to a Greenlee Radio Chassis Punch (1.5 inches) which made clean and effortless holes in my front panel to allow additional airflow.

This is the tool:

IPB Image

Here is the before picture:

IPB Image

Here is the front end 15 minutes later.

IPB Image

What an awesome little tool! It was completely effortless and the holes were crisp and did not need de-burring. It's nice to have things work out EASIER than expected sometimes...

sww914
Nice job. That looks really clean.
I wish I'd had you do the holes in the back of my ex-racecar. I had my dad help me with that and he drilled 1 of the holes 1/4" off. It always bugged me but not quite enough to actually fix it.
Loser_Cruiser
Do you make the hole by using a wrench and turning the cutter into the die or does he have the pneumatic(sp?) hand operated press?

If its the pneumatic press make sure you dont bottom the bit out in the cup! Looks like your done now though. I was using these wonderful tools a few years ago at work and I bottomed one out and the die cup exploded and a piece of it went under my safety glass through my eyelid. Pretty awesome tool though.

People you also use the larger cutters for the oil tank holes in the engine compartment. I think they make up to a 3" or 4"
euro911
Looks 'Neat'. Be sure to prime & paint the edges.

We have a Greenlee hydraulic pump unit for the chassis punches too, and punches up to 6" diameter - an absolutely wonderful tool first.gif
moparrob
Loser, this one was a simple turn-the-bolt type cutter. It was absolutely effortless. They do make hydraulic ones for production work but it was completely unnecessary for this application.

The hardest part of the job is laying out the holes correctly and pilot drilling on center. As usual, measure three times - cut once.
tradisrad
That is what I used to put the holes in the engine sheet metal for the external oil cooler lines (on a 4); they work great.
r_towle
can I get that at Harbor Frieght?
I only shop at HF... smile.gif
JmuRiz
Cool deal, reminds me of my father-in-law's punch he uses for making holes in electrical panels.
Smart thinking and makes for really nice holes.
Krieger
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 20 2011, 06:41 AM) *

can I get that at Harbor Frieght?
I only shop at HF... smile.gif

They have a cheap set that is good for a small # of holes, then the threads on the shaft start looking like a Christmas tree.
Gint
That's a cool tool.
jim_hoyland
How does it work ? I see several on EBay, not too pricy.
Mike Bellis
The inside piece is a cutter, solid with tapered blade, threaded in the middle. The outer piece is just a cup with a hole. Bolt goes through the hole into the threads and two pieces screw together, cutting the matal. Punching the metal actually. Greenlee make the best ones. If you buy larger make sure the bolt has the built in bearing on the head.

I have a set(1/2 through 2") if someone in the SF Bay need to borrow it. The kit is heavy so I don't want to ship it.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 20 2011, 07:35 PM) *

The inside piece is a cutter, solid with tapered blade, threaded in the middle. The outer piece is just a cup with a hole. Bolt goes through the hole into the threads and two pieces screw together, cutting the matal. Punching the metal actually. Greenlee make the best ones. If you buy larger make sure the bolt has the built in bearing on the head.

I have a set(1/2 through 2") if someone in the SF Bay need to borrow it. The kit is heavy so I don't want to ship it.

So a pilot hole the size of the bolt is needed ? Pretty cool
moparrob

So a pilot hole the size of the bolt is needed ? Pretty cool

Yes, the diameter of the bolt was .375 if I recall. I had a step drill with a .380 step so it was really a snap.
jim_hoyland
Could a Greenlee enlarge the cigar lighter hole to fit a 2" gauge, would there be rrom on the backside of the dash for the cutter ? Thinking of installing a CHT gauge there...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 20 2011, 10:18 AM) *

Cool deal, reminds me of my father-in-law's punch he uses for making holes in electrical panels.

Pretty sure that's what it was originally designed for, my best buddy who's a master industrial electrician has just about every size of these punches.
Great idea, now I'm going to have to borrow them from him. smile.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Every electrician has a set in thier toolbox(if they are a real electrician)
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 26 2012, 06:32 AM) *

Greenlee or hole punches, haven't seen a hole punch that can make a 2" hole before...?
SLITS
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 26 2012, 07:35 AM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 26 2012, 06:32 AM) *

Greenlee or hole punches, haven't seen a hole punch that can make a 2" hole before...?

1 1/2" & 2" Punch Set - $65
ape914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 26 2012, 06:17 AM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 20 2011, 10:18 AM) *

Pretty sure that's what it was originally designed for, my best buddy who's a master industrial electrician has just about every size of these punches.
Great idea, now I'm going to have to borrow them from him. smile.gif

Known as a chassie punch in the electrical world
SLITS
chassis
euro911
Jim, Check with Sharp to see if he might have a set confused24.gif ... if not, you can borrow mine.

If there isn't enough room for the punch dies, there's another option, but it's a little more messy. It involves a hole-saw and electric drill motor. I have those too sawzall-smiley.gif
JoeSharp
I only have the 1". Sorry.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.