Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: aftermarket ECU question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I have a 1978 3.0 with Weber carbs installed in my 75 GT clone. She runs good but is cold blooded but good throttle response. Engine is stock internally. I just picked up a 3.2 intake setup complete with manifolds,throttle body,fuel rails,injectors and injector harness. So to complete the package I could go after OEM ECU but then I would have to mount the sensors on the transmission. Or I could go aftermarket ECU and just use TPS/MAP. I'm in no rush as this will probably be next winters project. So what aftermarket ECU's do you guys recommend ? I do not want Megasquirt I had a bad experience with that and never again. Also not sure if I want fuel injection only or injection/ignition. I do have a complete EDIS from years ago that could be used. And finally anyone in the Atlanta area that can install/fine tune ? I can install everything but would need help fine tuning. So what suggestions do you have ?
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Apr 20 2011, 09:09 AM) *

I have a 1978 3.0 with Weber carbs installed in my 75 GT clone. She runs good but is cold blooded but good throttle response. Engine is stock internally. I just picked up a 3.2 intake setup complete with manifolds,throttle body,fuel rails,injectors and injector harness. So to complete the package I could go after OEM ECU but then I would have to mount the sensors on the transmission. Or I could go aftermarket ECU and just use TPS/MAP. I'm in no rush as this will probably be next winters project. So what aftermarket ECU's do you guys recommend ? I do not want Megasquirt I had a bad experience with that and never again. Also not sure if I want fuel injection only or injection/ignition. I do have a complete EDIS from years ago that could be used. And finally anyone in the Atlanta area that can install/fine tune ? I can install everything but would need help fine tuning. So what suggestions do you have ?

I'm sort of working on the same idea for my 911 using PMO itb's. I'm looking at using the Holley HP EFI ecu. I have a Holley HP on my 914 3.8V6 using a 4bbl tb. The system works very good and once a base map is setup it will self tune from there.

Paul
Mike Bellis
Many guys run Megasquirt. If you fab the TPS, Air Temp sensor and Engine temp sensor you can use factory FI runners, plenum and injectors. You could fad a complete system if you wanted. On my conversion project, I'm using a Haltech ECU. The engine is EFI ready so it's a little easier but still work. If you want to play, I have an extra Megasquirt ECU built and ready to deploy. I'll let it go cheap. Any ECU will work. Some work better than others. If you want top of the line EFI expect to spend $2k on an ECU and another $3k on fabrication and electronics. My Haltech is a mid line unit cost $1k for the ECU. You can buy a new Megasquirt ECU online for $300.
Mark Henry
Do you already have a MSD?
http://www.sdsefi.com

SDS crankfire using MSD (crane,etc) $1283
MAP $70
temp sender $21
Pump relay $30

And you'll need a O2 meter for any system that you choose.

Fine tune it yourself.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 20 2011, 10:56 AM) *

MAP $70
temp sender $21
Pump relay $30

Fine tune it yourself.

Yes I'm currently running the factory ignition distributor that has been recurved for carb's with a Mallory multi-spark CDI. And I will use a wideband O2. I do like the simplicity of the SDS setup.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Apr 20 2011, 03:44 PM) *

MAP $70
temp sender $21
Pump relay $30

Fine tune it yourself.

Yes I'm currently running the factory ignition distributor that has been recurved for carb's with a Mallory multi-spark CDI. And I will use a wideband O2. I do like the simplicity of the SDS setup.

I forgot the TPS you'll may need that as well.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 20 2011, 02:03 PM) *

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Apr 20 2011, 03:44 PM) *

MAP $70
temp sender $21
Pump relay $30

Fine tune it yourself.

I forgot the TPS you'll may need that as well.

I thought the factory throttle body has a TPS ?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Apr 20 2011, 03:54 PM) *

I thought the factory throttle body has a TPS ?

It has a Throttle Switch not variable resistance required by modern EFI.
Joe Owensby
If you want a simple system, then the SDS is the best, per Mark's comments. Hardest part of the install is mounting the control unit. I have a link in my signature giving details of my installation. Tuning was relatively easy. I also think that Jake sells complete systems. JoeO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.