Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IT IS ALIVE!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Red-Beard
The wiring on the MSD needed better connections.

Fired up! Wooooo Hoooooo!

Did the 20 minute 4000 rpm breakin. Ran out of time to do a road test. The acellerator linkage needs a little work. It seems that the carbs are lower, or something. And yes, I put the spacers in...

Can't wait to break in the rings.

James MDB2.gif
Joe Bob
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Red-Beard
Red-Beard
Rusty
James,

Did you build the 2.7/6 or have a shop do it? (I'm assuming that's the reason for the break-in period... forgive me, I don't get to read all the posts.)

-Rusty smoke.gif
Red-Beard
I had a local engine builder put the engine together. The assembly charge was only $850, so I had them do the engine complete.

If I just had it re-ringed (Along with the head repairs, valve guides, etc), I would have spent about $2500. It was closer to $6000 with the extra work (Porting), new P&Cs, new crank and rods, installation of piston squirters, and the carb parts to properly handle the 2.7.

Hopefully, I can put the sucker on the road next Wednedsay. Going to Houston tonight. sad.gif
Joe Bob
smilie_pokal.gif
Rusty
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ May 14 2004, 04:22 PM)
I had a local engine builder put the engine together. The assembly charge was only $850, so I had them do the engine complete.

If I just had it re-ringed (Along with the head repairs, valve guides, etc), I would have spent about $2500. It was closer to $6000 with the extra work (Porting), new P&Cs, new crank and rods, installation of piston squirters, and the carb parts to properly handle the 2.7.

I keep dreaming that one day I can build my own /6 motor. Then I wake up.

For what it would take to "properly" build my 2.0 (or upgrade it to a nice little 2.2 or 2.4,) I can probably buy a used 2.7+ in good condition.

Having the uncontrollable urge to do stuff yourself is often the hard way to do things.

Good luck getting it back on the road! We need pics!

-Rusty smoke.gif
J P Stein
I bought a 2.7L long block for 500 bucks.
Put in another 4K (or so) for 200 (or so ) hp......DIY.

Do some research on the motors before you jump.
Unlike some of my 914 projects, the engine building was fun. biggrin.gif
Toast
About time! wink.gif Once everyone gets their cars running and after the WCC, we should schedule another So. Cal run. beerchug.gif
Hopefully being behind you this time, I wont get covered in oil. ph34r.gif
Wait a minute, what do I mean I'll be behind you. You'll have to catch me. cool.gif
MXMARK
Red-Breard, good job.

Toast, Yes lets do a So Cal. drive.

Thank you Mark
Red-Beard
Off to Houston.

"Now you know you're not supposed to drive the Porsche while we're gone..."

"Relax, we trust you."

mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif
beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif

James

burnout.gif
MXMARK
Back in 1986 I took my friends 1974 carrera out for a drive when he was gone. He said it needed an oil change so It should not be driven. Well I was 19 and thought I can change the oil. Boy does that tank hold alot of oil. Everything was easy to work on and went back together easy. I told him what i did when he got back, He was not mad. James don't worry I have three Porsches now so ....... Wait where do you live? Just kidding. Mark
Red-Beard
Hmmm. We do need to revive Baja III.

It's about time!

James

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.